Porto v Liverpool - Post Match Disection

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 am

For me, I was impressed with the good start by Porto, they came at us right from the off and we looked shell shocked in truth.

At time in the first half we where awful, and I dont think we strung three passes together until the 40th minute.

Good teams can play badly and still come away with a result, and I think that is exactly what we did.

I have no doubt we can do them at Anfield, and a win at Beskitas and winning our home games and we will be home and dry.

Pennant - he will learn, and hopefully Rafa will give him a dressing down and make him apologise to the team, that will help it sink in with him. Not too bothered about it though, he is young and all.

Quaresma - what a player he would be if he could stay on his feet and play a decent final ball.

On reflection, we have played in 9 competitive games, scored 17 goals and conceded 3, all of which where from the spot. Pretty good form if you ask me.
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:21 am

Anyone got a clip of the penalty decision by the way ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby josip84 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:21 am

Liverpool were quite lucky to get a decent result in Porto last night, regarding their very poor performance altogether.
Being a Marseille fan, I must confess I am afraid you'll have a great opportunity to take the lead of the group after the game against us. Even though Marseille can rely on a number of individually talented players, they have recently been constantly proving unable to play as a team.
Your next game against us should be a rose garden for you.
josip84

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:26 am

2. Mascherano anyone? As bad as Gerrard in possession. And to think that people believe that Alonso is inferior to Mascherano

I havent seen the game yet, so I'll take your word for it Mascha was poor no qualms there but thats one game isnt it. Alonso has been consistently poor for quite some time now, its not without justification IMO. He was poor against Portsmouth ... yet again. I must say he looks quite an ordinary player these days ... So yes for me he is inferior to Mascha in the CM role

Post more once I've seen the game.
66-1112520797

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:27 am

hey folks, we've just played Porto away in Europe and come away with a 1-1 draw, thats not a bad result at all if you ask me. :cool:
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:32 am

Bamaga man wrote:
2. Mascherano anyone? As bad as Gerrard in possession. And to think that people believe that Alonso is inferior to Mascherano

I havent seen the game yet, so I'll take your word for it Mascha was poor no qualms there but thats one game isnt it. Alonso has been consistently poor for quite some time now, its not without justification IMO. He was poor against Portsmouth ... yet again. I must say he looks quite an ordinary player these days ... So yes for me he is inferior to Mascha in the CM role

Who is that quote off mate ?

As for Mascherano, one swallow does not make a summer.

Arbeloa and Finnan only players to come out of last night with any real credit in terms of good play, and Kuyt for tireless running and a goal.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 am

mash had a one off poor game by his standards, to judge him as a worse player than alonso on one game is not really a good barometer to be fair.
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:36 am

AB Leon.
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:41 am

not forgetting this lucid, well thought out pearl of wisdom

I have to ask this - I just HAVE to:

Who STILL thinks Mascherano is better than, and should play instead of, Alonso? Really? Who?

In reality, if you put your name forward, you're a f*cking fool.

well i think mash is better suited to our game than alonso, do you really think alonso could have controlled kaka the way mash did? do you really think that all mash has to is game is defensive?

no doubt that on his day alonso is quality, but mash is better  :;):
112-1077774096

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:43 am

peewee wrote:mash had a one off poor game by his standards, to judge him as a worse player than alonso on one game is not really a good barometer to be fair.

No it's not.

Neither it is to say Alonso is worse than Mascherano when Mascherano played 10 games here. Mascherano hasn't fulfilled a year here, and many posters say already he's top class and better than Alonso (het got plenty more votes)

Which may be right or wrong, but it was said too prematurely IMHO. Every player has a poor game, and poor bad forms aswell. We have seen that with Sissoko, who ranges from being the new Viera to a man who doesn't know to pass, Pennant, that like all wingers either he's hated or loved after a game, and many really. In my case I'll wait until the end of this season to make more fair comparisons and to state things like who's more compatible with Gerrard.

It's also unfair to give so much stick to Crouch so early this season.

In my opinion there's always a "New player extra praising" phenomenom. It happened with Alonso, it happened with Mascherano, and it happens with Torres. With the time the excitement settles down and we're able to judge more fairly
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Quaresma - what a player he would be if he could stay on his feet and play a decent final ball.

I will be completely honest and say that i havnt seen much of this guy. What i saw of him last night, he didnt do anything to justify a £20-25m price tag.

He looked very tricky at times and im sure he will cause teams problems but he really lacked an end product to his play. He went down far too easily and he doesnt seem to have a great attitude.

I found his final ball wasteful, laughable at times. At the same time though it was the only time i have seen him play. If it was the first time i had seen Gerrard or Torres play i would have been shocked.

Im sure people will prove me wrong with Queresma but personally, i wasnt impressed.

Anyway, back to the game.  I understand that not everyone will be happy after every performance but sometimes you really do need to look at the result. Last night was a very good result considering the way we played and the fact that we had 10 men for 30 mins made the result even better.

Look at Chelsea for instance, struggled at home against a very poor side, now they have reason to be worried. Not us!
mattylfc

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:52 am

Sabre wrote:
peewee wrote:mash had a one off poor game by his standards, to judge him as a worse player than alonso on one game is not really a good barometer to be fair.

No it's not.

Neither it is to say Alonso is worse than Mascherano when Mascherano played 10 games here. Mascherano hasn't fulfilled a year here, and many posters say already he's top class and better than Alonso (het got plenty more votes)

Which may be right or wrong, but it was said too prematurely IMHO. Every player has a poor game, and poor bad forms aswell. We have seen that with Sissoko, who ranges from being the new Viera to a man who doesn't know to pass, Pennant, that like all wingers either he's hated or loved after a game, and many really. In my case I'll wait until the end of this season to make more fair comparisons and to state things like who's more compatible with Gerrard.

It's also unfair to give so much stick to Crouch so early this season.

In my opinion there's always a "New player extra praising" phenomenom. It happened with Alonso, it happened with Mascherano, and it happens with Torres. With the time the excitement settles down and we're able to judge more fairly

very true, good post
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:52 am

Which may be right or wrong, but it was said too prematurely IMHO

Never the less, it was still the right call. :;):
66-1112520797

Postby murphy0151 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:06 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

As for Mascherano, one swallow does not make a summer.

Arbeloa and Finnan only players to come out of last night with any real credit in terms of good play, and Kuyt for tireless running and a goal.

Leon thats being kind to them that mate.  Thats one of the worst games Finnans had in along time.  I thought only Carra come out of the game with any credit all though Kuyt's work rate was awesome dude.

Reinna flapped at a few.
finnan, not to bad but had a tough night.
carra, typical carra.
Hyypia, mixed night to say the least. 
Arebola, ok.
Pennant, tried to hard.
Gerrard, ok still but far from his best.
Mascherano, the worst i have ever seen him play, but yet still he werent that bad.
Babel, looked lost at times, also cuts inside far to much for me.
Kuyt, typical work horse.
Torres, the slight rest at the weekend done him no good.  Couldnt pass to a fellow red shirt all night.

Rafa, id say he made a big mistake not taking Pennant off.  As I think everyone watching the game new he was going to get sent off if he werent subbed the way he wa playing.

But as Leon says to get a result of a night like that is the sign of a good team.

Id just liek to say three words  I HATE INTERNATIONALS.   We were playing well before they come around.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby josip84 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:29 am

How do you lads feel about your next game against Marseille? We defeated Besiktas 2-0 and your performance was not what you expected, even if you eventually got a decent result...
Is the Champions League a priority for LFC this season, or do you put more stress on winning the Premiership?
josip84

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games