Porto v Liverpool - Post Match Disection

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm

One other point about the game last night and at Portmouth as well. Anyone else notice how many times Mascherano last night and Alonso against Pompey were dragged out to the wings to help the fullbacks because our wingers didn't (or couldn't ) drop back and help. A couple of times in both games it led to us being opened up through the middle and meant that any clearing headers went straight to the opposition.
account deleted by request

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm

bigmick wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Mick, i think Mascherano only played as Alonso & Sissoko both couldnt through injury, otherwise he probably wouldnt of been considered.
Rafa could of tried Lucas but it would of been a risk in our most difficult group game.

Fair enough Ben, never knew that mate. And you're right, he couldn't really have stuck Lucas in at this stage of his Liverpool career. If Masherano really was played purely becasue the other two were injured and despite the fact he must have been a bit jetlagged, it would explain his somewhat below par performance.

Definately must of been the jet lag mate cos right from the off he struggled, mistiming passes and tackles, his touch wasnt right either.
The fact that both him and Gerrard looked off the pace is one of the reasons we struggled to get into the game.
I am happy today though, toughest game is out of the way, they never hurt us despite the constant posession they had.
Gerrard will be better for playing the 90 minutes and Mascherano will definately not play like that again.
Bring on Birmingham at home...and lets hopefuly get back to winning ways.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:34 pm

I think most people have called the game right imo.

I personally would have taken a draw before the game, and given how average our performance was added to the fact we played 30mins with 10 men, I'm even happier with the point.  This was the hardest game in the group and it was crucial not to let Porto have a 3 point start on us, although I don't think it was crucial for us to win it.

For once I can't really moan about the selection.  Bar Hyypia, that was the strongest XI we could have picked on the night.  And I can see the sense in playing Hyypia in a game where we're away from home and likely to defend deep, therefore not exposing his lack of pace too much.  Also for a continental side Porto put a lot of crosses into the box, especially Quaresma, and Hyypia's aerial ability came in handy.

Apart from being casual at the back and all over the park really (our play was littered with individual errors), our main problem was our midfield.  Mascherano had as bad a game as I've seen him play (?jetlag) and Gerrard was below his usual best apart from one or two touches of class late on.  Had Alonso or Sissoko been available we'd have changed things at half time no doubt.

On Pennant's red, he was bloody stupid really. His fouls weren't particularly bad, but he made 5 or 6 blatant fouls and with that ref he had it coming.  I'm sure when he watches the game back he'll have few complaints and will learn from it.

Torres sat on the last man but got no service at all.  Kuyt was man of the match for me by far.  Marseille next and the return of Cisse to Anfield.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:07 pm

Bloody hell, folks...what a generous bunch of people you are....
I was watching the game and the 1st/2nd half analysis on Irish TV last nite. Now, they have a few panellists who don't pull any punches (John Giles; Graeme Souness; Eamon Dunphy), but you'd have to say that was a miserable, pathetic performance from LFC last night.
I'm not a keen rugby fan, but watching all the games I have so far in the World Cup, I haven't seen ONE instance of whingeing, diving, ankle-holding etc....in a single game to date. Looking at Porto - and let's be fair, some of our lot did it too ! - I was appalled and sickened by the carry-on. Worst of all, the referee didn't once try to stamp it out of the game.
Maybe last night's game was overkill on the diving front, maybe not....But I was sickened to see the likes of Torres go down in a heap when "bumped into" from behind.....
Even Souness was appalled. To listen to him talk about the way teams of his era played - none of this diving lark; able to hold onto the ball; able to pass - none of that was evident last night.
As for Pennant - WTF is going on in that muppet's head ? Anybody could have told him what Porto would do if you as much as sneezed on an opponent. Rafa is quite right to be seething about last night's sending off - 'cos it was entirely preventable.
Just not good enough folks
Pull yer socks up and play ball
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:36 pm

I think the problem was we couldn't keep possession and were too keen to try and win it back. Far too many fouls trying to get the ball from behind and we were lucky Pennant wasn't off sooner and Mascherano didn't follow. I think Pennant was frustrated and should have been told to calm down at half time or even get taken off. Babel and Torres kept trying to beat their man which didn't help possession, it was sad to say a typical England vs Portugal game.

But a point is a point, if Rafa knew we'd be that inept I think he'd have played a stronger XI on Saturday. In contrast to Chelski this was our hardest fixture and we got a point. I do think suggestions we were lucky to get a point are a little harsh, for all their domination and possession how many clear cut chances did Porto create? I read in a paper someone was reading that we committed ONLY 24 fouls and had one shot on target! Possession was 57-43 but apparently not creating many chances means you are fortunate. So are Chelski unlucky because they scored one and missed nineteen?? ?? :laugh:

I like the headline "mourons" but there is only one Jose............................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:41 pm

I think we can all agree that the performance yesterday was cr@p but we got a draw and that is the main thing.
I also think this diving business needs to be sorted out and also the lack of respect that players show too referees. If I was a ref and I had some overpaid tw@t screaming abuse at me for a decison he'd be off, I have never understood why refs are so soft!!
Referees need to stamp out this sh1t, for example in Rugby if a players argues with a ref then his whole team gets pushed back 10 yards, pretty soon his teammates will make him shut up. RThe same could be done in football.
heimdall

Postby Rockthekop » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:45 pm

I think our general play has been well below par in both the Portsmouth and Porto games.  The only positive is that we came away with a point on both occasions, probably more than we deserved you could argue.  Last season we would have probably lost those games.  We need to play much better away, I`m not convinced we have figured that one out yet.
Rockthekop

Postby BillyE » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Overall i'm satisfied with a draw away in Porto and good teams can get a result even when they played badly.  It was a really poor performance and the only players i could say could hold their heads up would be Carra, Kuyt and possibly arbeloa.  The rest were poor and at times seemed like strangers to one another, passing the ball a few yards became impossible and we offered nothing in terms of creativity.  I'll just put it down to a bad night, all teams have them.  I'm worried that Babel may be a confidence player and on the nights when our backs are to the wall he may be found wanting, but again he's only a young fella and his potential is amazing.  I just get frustrated seeing us play so badly and simply demand that we wipe the floor with everyone we play

:D
BillyE

Postby club_Levis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:22 pm

The_Rock wrote:As for Quaresma..... This guy can singlehandedly win us games. If Torres, Gerrard and Quaresma are in the same line-up we have 3 potential matchwinners.

We should sign players of this calibre.

I agree..he is an excellent player.I have always maintained he is what Porto is am glad Rafa holds him in high esteem...He is a must in the summer!!!!!
club_Levis

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:57 pm

BillyE wrote:I'm worried that Babel may be a confidence player and on the nights when our backs are to the wall he may be found wanting, but again he's only a young fella and his potential is amazing. 

Look at last night, and where Babel received the ball.

Look at where Queresma received it.

ITs easy to see why one looked a World beater and one looked a bag of shabite.

Queresma received the ball when he was hugging the toughline and inplenty of space (mostly) so he could run at defenders and beat them.

Babel mostly recived the ball with his back to goal and a defender right up his @rse. Its difficult to trap the ball and work free of the marker so as to engineer a run down the wing.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:17 pm

The_Rock wrote:Well 1 subpar performance in don't know how many games and the knives are out for mascherano ??? give me a break.

I thought Mash did his basic job pretty well (ie...protecting the back four).

As for Quaresma..... This guy can singlehandedly win us games. If Torres, Gerrard and Quaresma are in the same line-up we have 3 potential matchwinners.

We should sign players of this calibre.

not to mention we can play babel in front with torres where he can do much more damage than he is on the wing... quaresma would add alot of quality to our squad...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Quaresma needs to cut out the fancy sh!t and concentrate on end product.

In my opinion.
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:28 pm

Apologies if any of my comments caused offense in the other Porto thread.

It was not intended.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Avi Cohen » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:28 pm

One thing I've noticed watching us play over the last few years is that whatever way we are playing in the first ten/fifteen minutes sets the tone for the rest of the game. We seem to be unable to right what's wrong - if we're playing :censored: from the outset, that's it for the game.
Istanbul is the only game in a long time that we actually stepped it up when needed.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:28 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Apologies if any of my comments caused offense in the other Porto thread.

It was not intended.

:censored: :censored:  :D
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games