Liverpool v Brentford KO 2pm 16/01/22

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:18 pm

I know Klopp likes his small squads.. but we have alot of injury prone players in this squad and the quality to replace just isn't strong enough.

Thiago, Naby, Ox, Matip are always picking up knocks.

Since we won the champions league we've spent £119m to improve the squad, our main rivals spent £414m to improve their squad.

They call Pep this genius,but how can we possibly compete with them realistically?
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:25 pm

Finally I’m back in, my old iPad jibbed it and because I’d had it so long I’d forgotten all my passwords to my e-mail accounts and everything. I got a new ipad but had to set up new e-mail accounts etc, when I tried to re-register it all went to **** probably because I tried to use my old name and then something very close to it with a different e-mail address.
Anyway all’s well that ends well I suppose.
As for the game, as others have said not the most memorable match in terms of performance but it was a huge win in the sense that if we hadn’t have won the league was definitely gone. Even with that win we are still massive outsiders but at least if we win our game in hand and somehow eek a win at City we’d be within 5 points of them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:10 pm

It was a good win, a better performance in the second half, and sorry to OX got injured, and I hope he recover quickly.

Good Luck Lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby redshade » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:55 am

UvS xR4GEx » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:18 pm wrote:I know Klopp likes his small squads.. but we have alot of injury prone players in this squad and the quality to replace just isn't strong enough.

Thiago, Naby, Ox, Matip are always picking up knocks.

Since we won the champions league we've spent £119m to improve the squad, our main rivals spent £414m to improve their squad.

They call Pep this genius,but how can we possibly compete with them realistically?

Pep Guardiola Man City transfers - 30.06.2016 - Today

Purchased players: 117
Transfer expenditure: £933,217,363
----------------------------------------------------
Players sold: 137
Transfer income: £370,215,000

NET -  £563,002,363
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jurgen Klopp - Liverpool transfers - 07.10.2015 - Today

Purchased players: 88
Transfer expenditure: £479,565,000
------------------------------------------------------
Players sold: 92
Transfer income: £360,828,000

NET - £118,737,000

How can you possibly compete against a money pumped club like that??!!
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:23 am

Over half a billion in 5 years is insane and that does.not even talk about salaries, there is no way if not for their owners and dodgy sponsorship deals they would survive…. The whole point of the FFP rules. They probably also spent millions on the best lawyers just to get away with circumventing the rules. I don’t believe for a second that they made that much in the last five years. Newcastle will do the same thing, it will impossible to compete in five years or so.

In that same period we also expanded our stadium and rebuilt our training facility, ours would be called sustainable growth. If it was not for the sale of Coutinho our great ride probably would not have happened. Do we have another Coutinho for the next five year.

Money truly is ruining football, or at least the competition part of it.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:50 am

We can't and won't be able to regularily sustain a challenge. ​Teams like City, Chelsea and soon Newcastle, will always have the fuel to compete.
They can have a poor season, re-group spend 300mill and go again.
Teams like us will once in a while aim for glory, if the circumstances are right.

This league is becoming predictable.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:35 am

Once Newcastle get going no one will be able to compete with them, not unless the U.S or Chinese government fancy buying a prem football team.
Someone was saying comparing City’s or PSG’s owners to the Saudi’s was like comparing the wealth of Jersey and the Isle of Mann to mainland Britain.It’s not even close.
That’s why every prem club including City and Chelsea (oh the irony) are desperately scrambling around trying to re-write the rule book to prevent Newcastle’s owners from flexing their muscles.
They spoke to a Premier League official off the record and he said many people at the Prem had massive reservations for all sorts of reasons about allowing the Saudi’s to buy an English football team but he said that they came to the conclusion that on balance they thought it better to have that eye watering type of wealth inside the English game than see the Saudi’s go and buy a French, German or Spanish club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:23 pm

Have clubs in the past, before 90's, ever been run by mega rich owners like Roman etc ..
Anyone got any insight on this?
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:09 pm

redshade » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:23 pm wrote:Have clubs in the past, before 90's, ever been run by mega rich owners like Roman etc ..
Anyone got any insight on this?

I think we are in height of capitalism now, before the Soviet Union broke up in the nineties none of this money was there. Owners owned clubs because they supported them, unlike now. Football pre 90’s did not have the money to interest business. Tickets were cheap, salaries were low and transfer fees without agents were acceptable. These days some football players don’t even love football and see it only as a way to provide for their families, you couldn’t say that pre 80’s when salaries were low. Football is all about money now, no longer about football.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games