Liverpool V Chelsea - Semi Final 1st leg - tue 20th Jan

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Doeboy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:48 pm

Really need to start making our dominance count. Same thing happened v Arsenal. Hopefully when Sturridge gets back, we can start converting our dominance into wins
Doeboy

Postby damjan193 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Despite the result I think this game will have a massive boost in moral for the boys. Ideal timing as well with Sturridge's imminent comeback.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Great game just disappointed we didn't get a winner at the end that all our dominance deserved. Best we have played in a long while.

We were comfortable at the back but it was a bit sloppy of can to give that pen away. Still he kept it going and had a decent game in the end. Sakho again had another good game and at times showed good composure. Alongside skrtel those 2 are beginning to form a respectable back line. Long may it continue.

Good shift from lucas and stevie who came so close to bagging it for us, Coutinho was everywhere again and starting to look more threatening every game, sterling put in his best shift in a while imo, great run and sweet finish from the lad.

When we get sturridge back we could do a lot of damage in that kind of form  :nod  Hopefully he plays in the return.

Thought the crowd was fantastic tonight  :bowdown , Non stop noise and the atmosphere looked like days of old. Every single one was in full voice and it definately added to the game.  Would have loved to have been there  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:14 pm

Terrific performance against a very good side.
I thought Skrtel handled Diego Costa about as well as any CB I've seen this season and Can and Sakho were excellent too. Lucas just totally bossed the midfield and Coutinho and Sterling gave their back 4 problems all game as well.
All in all it was just a really good all round performance against high quality opposition.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:39 am

what a game, loved it, we looked good tonight. gutted we did not win but far far the better team, lets hope we can do them at their place.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:32 am

Superb performance from the team , the fact that their goalie was named Man of the Match says it all.

And credit were it's due, BR got it right tonight.

(although I still think Can would be better placed in midfield and not employed as part of a back three)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:45 am

That imho was our best performance for a very long time. Sterling was superb and when his finishing improves he will be some player! Gerrard was my motm. He caused mayhem with Sterling and Coutinho. Incredibly unlucky not to score. To confine that lot to one shot on goal and that was from a penalty speaks volumes. CHELSEA PLAYED MOST OF THE SECOND HALF WITH A BACK TEN !!!!!

Rogers is learning and so are the team. The new players are also improving by the week. Suarez was always going to be tough to replace but they are getting there.

TRUE GRIT AND DETERMINATION BY THE SHED LOAD. GREAT PERFORMANCE !!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 am

devaney » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:45 am wrote:That imho was our best performance for a very long time. Sterling was superb and when his finishing improves he will be some player! Gerrard was my motm. He caused mayhem with Sterling and Coutinho. Incredibly unlucky not to score. To confine that lot to one shot on goal and that was from a penalty speaks volumes. CHELSEA PLAYED MOST OF THE SECOND HALF WITH A BACK TEN !!!!!

Rogers is learning and so are the team. The new players are also improving by the week. Suarez was always going to be tough to replace but they are getting there.

TRUE GRIT AND DETERMINATION BY THE SHED LOAD. GREAT PERFORMANCE !!!

Spot on  :nod lets hope he keeps learning and we dont see any of these weird changes to accomodate players like Johnson or early season tactics
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:34 am

Every player put in a great shift...we deserved to win a thoroughly pulsating game...Gerrard had his best game for a long time...Lucas was awesome ....Coutinho,sterling and markovic majestic
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:14 am

We gave absolutely everything and you couldn't ask for any more really.

Lets not forget we are playing without a recognised centre forward and it does show up against the best sides overall
despite a good finish by Sterling.

You can see we still lack that top quality though as any elite team with world class players would have won that easy
given our dominance of the match.

We will need to replicate that and score goals at Chelsea and it will extremely difficult but not impossible.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby algymoon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:33 am

This is the best performce so far this season, Chelsea were there for the taking, and if we had a decent striker along with Sterling we would have put this tie to bed.
Unlucky with Can soft penalty was given which the referee had chekened out from Chelsea pressure that it might start had not given it!!, However Can is becoming an excelent midfiled player rather than a resonable defender which he is doing a good job of it to the best of his capiblity.
If the team plays like that every week, then they are capable to win a lots of games. Good Luck
algymoon

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:40 am

It wasnt a soft penalty. It was a stupid challenge which everyone makes. We looked fantastic and should have won and if we had another striker maybe we would have done.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Absolutely gutted by the draw.

Credit to the team who looked incredible last night.  It's about time it happened on a regular occurance.  We've seen flashes of brilliant dominance but have failed to score enough goals to seal the win.

Hopefully with Sturridge to come back we can go on and maybe win 10 games on the spin like last season and rifle into the top 4.
Kopite-Jud

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Unbelievable atmosphere ,phenomenal football ,inventive ,pressing ,intelligent ,there really is no ceiling to what this young team can achieve .
The best game I have seen this season ,and if Chelsea are planning an all out offensive at their place against a team with this much pace ,then
the best of British with that ,because the reds are in delicious form at the moment  :)

Lucas dominated and controlled the middle more than I have ever seen a DM ever do against Chelsea since Mascherano ,his importance to this
teams structure is immeasurable ....Sterlings goal was a moment of real beauty ,and the pace he showed breezing past Terry Cahill and co
was simply not plausible given the kid had run himself ragged against the same defence all night.

Genuine cause for optimism now ,especially with Lallana being back ,and Sturridge's return imminent

YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Soupyzrx » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:59 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:32 am wrote:......the fact that their goalie was named Man of the Match says it all.

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say.
Really enjoyed most of that match. For once I wasn't wakening the kids by screaming at the monitor about us passing back to the keeper from the centre circle.
Good, positive attitude to play and real effort all round.
If we could be a bit more deadly in front of goal we could've had them. (Still really wish we had got Sanchez last summer....)
Anyway, that was heartening and I really hope the team are as encouraged by the performance as we are. Hopefully this could be the springboard we've been waiting for (please God).
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games