Burnley vs liverpool - Turfmoor 25/04/2010 ko 15.00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Owzat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 am

Perhaps says it all that there's no thread (that I could see) just eight hours before kick-off

So what can be said, what side Rafa puts out will show if he really thinks we can still finish fourth. From what I read this morning he is still talking it up, reckons we can't afford another slip-up and need to put this year's poor away form behind us, but despite neither side ahead of us winning yesterday, both citeh and spudz, and arguably villa,  still have a big advantage.

So what of the two teams? Well Burnley are all but relegated, even three wins out of three might not be enough. Their GD is terrible so seven points would probably see them go down and nine would mean their relegation rivals would need to pick up one or less points.

Premiership 09/10

HOME/AWAY

Burnley (home) : P17 W6 D5 L6 F21 A24 PTS 23
Liverpool (away) : P17 W4 D5 L8 F14 A20 PTS 17

Liverpool's last six away include games away to Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal. Burnley were beaten 1-6 at home by Man City

LAST SIX HOME/AWAY

Burnley (home) : LLLDLW = 4/18 points
Liverpool (away) : DLLDLD = 3/18 points

LAST SIX OVERALL

Burnley : LWLLLL = 3/18 points
Liverpool : WDDWLW = 11/18 points

In terms of head to head, Burnley haven't been in the top flight since 75/76 but there have been a few cup meetings inbetween as well as the reverse fixture in the Premiership earlier in the season.

LAST 10 HEAD TO HEADS

09/10 LIV 4-0 BUR (PREM)
04/05 BUR 1-0 LIV (FAC)
96/97 LIV 1-0 BUR (FAC)
94/95 LIV 1-0 BUR (FAC-R)
94/95 BUR 0-0 LIV (FAC)
94/95 BUR 1-4 LIV (LC)
94/95 LIV 2-0 BUR (LC)
82/83 BUR 1-0 LIV (LC)
82/83 LIV 3-0 BUR (LC)
78/79 LIV 3-0 BUR (FAC)

The seasons we played them in struck me as having a common theme, bar one.

04/05 European Champions
96/97 n/a
94/95 League Cup Winners
82/83 League Champions, League Cup Winners
78/79 League Champions

Obviously in the last two seasons cited we were dominant, but if you were to pick three other seasons at relative random (in terms of us playing one side ie Burnley), then what odds two of the three we'd have ended the season with a trophy? Bear in mind how many other seasons we won something after 1990.

Or maybe the omen is in 96/97 when we lost the CWC semi to PSG......................................
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheLad » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:32 am

There is only a mathematical chance to finish top 4, only the EL place to play for and to finish above EVERTON. :( We are playing Burnley, the weakest of all teams, but considering the fact that this is an away game, will be happy with a solid 2-0 win. At Anfield we should stuff them 5-0.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:57 am

spudz only need four points to reach our maximum, citeh only need five points to do likewise and we all have three games left.

citeh do play spudz and villa at home, always potential to draw one or both of those, West Ham away might not be that easy as the hammers have won seven and lost seven at home. BUT spudz have Bolton at home and Burnley away so even if they get nothing at citeh they would think themselves likely to pick up four points from those games minimum so fourth is a pipe dream

The main question I would ask is if Rafa is still talking like it's possible because he's stupid and/or hasn't looked at the situation properly, over-optimistic and holding out every last hope instead of doing everything possible when it was still very much possible, stubborn and refusing to give up because he said we'd finish fourth (guarantee), because he thinks he should talk it up or for what reason?!?!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:00 am

Ooooooo... all the interest in this game is giving me goosebumps !
2-1.. pick a winner...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 am

0-2 to us at least

bring on the new owners and the NEW SEASON !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:48 am

i coudla kept my 100% if id started this!

think we'll win, by a few goals

Aquilani brace
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:09 am

well I think we'll win. It'll be a boring one I reckon, evident that its the end of the season (not the fact that it's Liverpool before anyone starts)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:27 am

Could be a tricky one this. I expect Rafa will rest a couple of players and if Burnley go for it we could find ourselves in trouble. I think we will win but it might not be the walkover some will expect. 2-1 to us . 

Reina

Johnson            Carra or Skrtel              Big Greek           Agger

Maxi                    Aquaman              Masch                Babel

Pacheco
                                         N'Gog
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:49 am

s@int wrote:Could be a tricky one this. I expect Rafa will rest a couple of players and if Burnley go for it we could find ourselves in trouble. I think we will win but it might not be the walkover some will expect. 2-1 to us . 

Reina

Pacheco
                                         N'Gog

I love how you still think hes gonna go 4 4 2... this is gonna bea  well rested side, by that i mean our first team will be having a rest... and that could be why we win it
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:53 am

s@int wrote:Could be a tricky one this. I expect Rafa will rest a couple of players and if Burnley go for it we could find ourselves in trouble. I think we will win but it might not be the walkover some will expect. 2-1 to us . 

Reina

Pacheco
                                         N'Gog

ye i agree mate. might be a tricky game. Think rafa mite have 3 holding midfielders and try to keep it COMPACT. IF we are struggling he mite put aquilani on in the 85 minute.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:19 pm

dawson99 wrote:

Reina

Pacheco
                                         N'Gog

I love how you still think hes gonna go 4 4 2... this is gonna bea  well rested side, by that i mean our first team will be having a rest... and that could be why we win it

He's gotta go for it today Dawson. Lose or draw today and there is a good possibility that EVERTON will finish above us and that we will miss out on Europe all together.

Lose this game, lose at home to Chelsea and we are in big trouble mate. (not that we wern't in trouble before like.  :D )

Postby Fauxy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:42 pm

With N'gog out, Kuyt is gonna be upfront soo we will need extra firepower from Aquilani, Pacheco or Babel.

0 - 3 :)
Fauxy

Postby zarababe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:45 pm

s@int wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

Reina

Pacheco
                                         N'Gog

He's gotta go for it today Dawson. Lose or draw today and there is a good possibility that EVERTON will finish above us and that we will miss out on Europe all together.

Lose this game, lose at home to Chelsea and we are in big trouble mate. (not that we wern't in trouble before like.  :D )

what a sorry season, truly  :down:
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:37 pm

well as Fulham will probably be sending out the reserves today we cannot afford to do the same, we dont want to be going into next weeks game needing a win knowing full well what it might mean.

Come on Redmen.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Ayala, Agger, Mascherano, Aquilani, Maxi, Babel, Gerrard, Kuyt. Subs: Cavalieri, Benayoun, Kyrgiakos, Lucas, Degen, El Zhar, Pacheco.

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games