Borussia monchengladbach v liverpool - Ko 1st aug @ 1.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby rocky29 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:26 pm

Tim LFC wrote:One things for sure we need a striker or N'gog to step up or heavens forbid Babel to realise some of his untapped potential and bag us around 15 goals this season.

i got slated for repeatledy saying we need 2 strikers. Well after today and nandos injury predicament. People are coming to my way of thinking. Why the hell we dont use all of maschs transfer money on one or two top strikers beggars belief for me. Benzema or fabiano. Thats the sort of calibur we need to get us of out of this rut.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby In and Out » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Didn't see the game.

I've only noticed not so long ago how close the Arsenal game is from being played, 14 days away that isn't much time to 'get ready' for the opening day of the season. As other have said with that in mind maybe the majority if not all the first team should start in the second leg just to find some cohesiveness.

ANd by all accounts we still need to get a LB and Striker in as well before too long.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Tim LFC » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 pm

In and Out wrote:Didn't see the game.

I've only noticed not so long ago how close the Arsenal game is from being played, 14 days away that isn't much time to 'get ready' for the opening day of the season. As other have said with that in mind maybe the majority if not all the first team should start in the second leg just to find some cohesiveness.

ANd by all accounts we still need to get a LB and Striker in as well before too long.

Yeah, we need to get Mascherano sold, and bring in some players otherwise i worry about our start. Roy needs to get on that ASAP and work with the team's shape and instil confidence.
Tim LFC

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Watched the game in work  on the Liverpool E season ticket
I thought all in all it was a game which confirmed a few points with crystal clear clarity ...

1, Spearing is simply not good enough for Liverpool
2, Neither is Insua
3, Its apparent to all that Shelvey is going to grow into an exceptional player
4,Joe Cole will be a crowd favourite
5,Roy favours Zonal marking with a passion
6,Gerrard needs a lot more games before he is up to speed
7,Amoo can blow hot and cold with alarming regularity
8,We have to find a striker and integrate him into the team as quickly as is humanly possible
9,The short and direct passing on display was easy on the eye and at times possession was retained for long periods
10, The link up play between Cole and Gerrard looks very promising
11, Johnson's positional sense and who he should be closing down has become no clearer to him ???
12,Lapses in concentration such as the Ayala gaff should be eradicated before the season starts ....

It was however just a pre - season game so it was for all intents and purposes a good run out for some
it also seems apparent that Hodgson's particular  preference is for the 4-2-3-1 formation alternated with the ever popular 4-5-1
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:40 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Watched the game in work  on the Liverpool E season ticket
I thought all in all it was a game which confirmed a few points with crystal clear clarity ...

2, Neither is Insua
8,We have to find a striker and integrate him into the team as quickly as is humanly possible
9,The short and direct passing on display was easy on the eye and at times possession was retained for long periods
11, Johnson's positional sense and who he should be closing down has become no clearer to him ???
12,Lapses in concentration such as the Ayala gaff should be eradicated before the season starts ....

It was however just a pre - season game so it was for all intents and purposes a good run out for some
it also seems apparent that Hodgson's particular  preference is for the 4-2-3-1 formation alternated with the ever popular 4-5-1

number 8 on your list is the most crucial and important.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:41 pm

rocky29 wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Watched the game in work  on the Liverpool E season ticket

2, Neither is Insua

I disagree, I think we need two strikers.
LFC2007

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:46 am

2, Neither is Insua

Sorry but how you can pass judgement on players such a Spearing and Amoo based on 20 mins of football is beyond me.

The both barely touched the ball.

FWIW i actually agree that Spearing isn't up to it but not based on today's game
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:54 am

I based it on watching the players in question performing for the reserves   last season ... would you not say that entitles me to proffer my opinion ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:08 am

LFC2007 wrote:
rocky29 wrote:

2, Neither is Insua

I disagree, I think we need two strikers.

:laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:42 pm

strange to make a comment on our striker situation when neither Torres nor N'gog played.  Kuyt and Babel didn't play either.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Sabre wrote:I haven't watched the game yet, but correct me if I'm wrong: German teams start earlier training than English and Spanish no? Meaning, any French or German team has advanced in their preseason work 2 weeks more or so.

If the team did a serious job against a more worked team, then that's good news. THe only point of those games is getting match fitness. I know last season a bad preseason was the threshold of a bad season, but that's not always the case, I don't think so at least.

I think the German league might actually start latter, BUT Monchengladbach only had two players in the world cup, so most of the players we played against had a friendly or two under their belt, we either had WC players in their first friendly or youngsters.
JoeTerp

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games