Borussia monchengladbach v liverpool - Ko 1st aug @ 1.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby jimmy brighton » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:32 pm

aCe' wrote:The thing i was excited most about was Hodgson's approach to this game... He got the tactics all wrong to begin with but the short passing attacking philosophy he tried to implement was refreshing to say the least.. With better quality players and hopefully a top quality striker (Torres or whoever it is who comes on for him), I think we can score more goals than any other side in the league...

then surely that makes us genuine contenders then?
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby Tim LFC » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Not bad game. Cole looked very good linking up with Gerrard. Shevley looked assured on the ball and has some great passing range. Aquilani looked fitter. Spearing passed the ball well. Wilson looked composed on the ball and under no threat even when he gave the ball away. Jovanovic still need to see more. Insua got exposed time and time again. Plenty of work to be done. But i'm sure Roy can work on shape of the team and the team will look better with players fitness levels up much higher.
Tim LFC

Postby roysreds » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:40 pm

I didn't see the game,

does Shelvey look better than Lucas? (seriously)
roysreds

Postby aCe' » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:41 pm

jimmy brighton wrote:
aCe' wrote:The thing i was excited most about was Hodgson's approach to this game... He got the tactics all wrong to begin with but the short passing attacking philosophy he tried to implement was refreshing to say the least.. With better quality players and hopefully a top quality striker (Torres or whoever it is who comes on for him), I think we can score more goals than any other side in the league...

then surely that makes us genuine contenders then?

With everyone fit and if we can replace Mascherano with a quality defensive midfielder I'd say YES...

The back4 of Johnson, Carra, Agger, Aurelio isnt the best around... They'll need good cover in front of them... Im not buying the whole Gerrard/Defour/Ireland/Lucas/Parker can do the job nonsense.. We'll need a midfielder who can cover ground and sit deep infront of our back4... We're seemingly angling towards a high line at the back.. With the players we have this doesnt seem to be the best way forward imo.. Carra and Agger are both slow on the turn and Johnson isnt the best when it comes of positioning and awareness.. It is absolutely vital imo that we have someone staying behind to add bodies at the back to defend the counter...

Going forward, I think we'll eventually get to see a front 5 of Gerrard, Aquilani, Joe Cole, Kuyt and Torres... How they set-up is a different discussion but i feel we have as good a starting attacking lineup as any in the league..

If we manage to get the balance right and we're lucky with injuries (and transfers), then i see no reason why the current group of players we have shouldnt be competing for the title..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:44 pm

I'm glad we've scored a couple of goals in the game that mattered so far this pre-season because I'm a bit concerned at our inability to put the ball in the net or create any real clear cut chances. I know pre-season is all about fitness, shaking off the rust and getting up to speed but the best teams still get results. We had a couple of poor pre-seasons under Rafa, last season and the year we lost 5-0 to FC Mainz + there was another drubbing that year. Both times we went on to have a bad year in the league. It's great to see the kids get a game and it looks like some of them will get chances to push on this season but I want to see senior players back in the side for our next couple of games and expect/hope to see us score a few goals.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Scottbot wrote:I'm glad we've scored a couple of goals in the game that mattered so far this pre-season because I'm a bit concerned at our inability to put the ball in the net or create any real clear cut chances. I know pre-season is all about fitness, shaking off the rust and getting up to speed but the best teams still get results. We had a couple of poor pre-seasons under Rafa, last season and the year we lost 5-0 to FC Mainz + there was another drubbing that year. Both times we went on to have a bad year in the league. It's great to see the kids get a game and it looks like some of them will get chances to push on this season but I want to see senior players back in the side for our next couple of games and expect/hope to see us score a few goals.

Agreed, Scott, it is a worry.  We're just not creating enough chances, let alone finishing them off.  I'd play a lot of the senior lads on Thursday--not because we'll need to to get through against a tame Rabotnicki side but because our senior players need games under their belt with Arsenal just around the corner.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby jimmy brighton » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:01 pm

I shouldn't get too worried. The only goal of the game was a defensive error. :)
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Scottbot wrote:It's great to see the kids get a game and it looks like some of them will get chances to push on this season but I want to see senior players back in the side for our next couple of games and expect/hope to see us score a few goals.

Agree Scott considering we play Arsenal in 15 days time its vital now that we start playing with the players who are gonna be starting that game, They need understanding
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:05 pm

If it makes anyone feel any better Chelsea have just gone 1 down to Frankfurt and the goal was a match for ours.
Yozzi looks funny in a Chelsea kit !
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Only seen he last 30 mins but from what i seen Wilson and Shelvey look like thier gonna be top quality in the future, if Sterlings got the balls 2 put in tackles like that and go at players at such a young age and height disadvantage then it bodes well for him in the future and Suso didnt touch it but u can just tell hes a class he act by hids movement when he came on, he had that aura that all the best players  have (im not pi$$ed) Agree with most people on here that id start 2 play my strongest team in the next few games be4 Arsenal. But the kids have done themselves proud in pre-season
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:41 pm

I've got to agree with Scott here. Three games and no goals in pre-season isn't exactly promising. Looks like another season on the shoulders of Fernando
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Sabre » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:14 pm

I haven't watched the game yet, but correct me if I'm wrong: German teams start earlier training than English and Spanish no? Meaning, any French or German team has advanced in their preseason work 2 weeks more or so.

If the team did a serious job against a more worked team, then that's good news. THe only point of those games is getting match fitness. I know last season a bad preseason was the threshold of a bad season, but that's not always the case, I don't think so at least.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:27 pm

The lads are nowhere near sharp enough yet but that will come and so will their best form. Hodgson is just assessing all the players and from his findings will put together a team and system that will hopefully see us enjoy a decent campaign. On every level its just preparation at the moment and though it means something to fans, the results will mean very little to the staff at Liverpool. The game today was poor, almost ever friendly is poor and our oppenents where no better. All in all it looks like we have one or two young kids that are ahead of the pack but overall most of these boys are well short of first team football. Bottom line is we have a pretty strong 15ish players but below that its a gamble putting someone in if we are hit by a flurry of injuries.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby rocky29 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:56 pm

dont worry am sure with ngog staying he will bag 30 plus goals this season.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Tim LFC » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:02 pm

One things for sure we need a striker or N'gog to step up or heavens forbid Babel to realise some of his untapped potential and bag us around 15 goals this season.
Tim LFC

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games