Zenden definitely out for season - Surprise, surprise

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:10 pm

Not surprised in the slightest. I wonder in fact if he's long since played his last game for us - I can't see him getting too much of a look it to be honest.

From the Echo...

LIVERPOOL midfielder Bolo Zenden has lost his battle to play again this season. 

The Dutchman is making good progress in his recovery from cruciate knee surgery, but he won't be rushed back into senior action.

Earlier this year, the 30-year-old spoke optimistically about returning to the first team earlier than planned.

Zenden hoped to repeat the extraordinary efforts of Djibril Cisse, who defied medics with the speed of his recovery from a broken leg last season.

But it's been decided not to unnecessaritly rush Zenden back, and he won't feature again until pre-season.

The left midfielder is back running at Melwood, and rather than see latest developments as a setback, it should be emphasised the Dutchman's rehabilitation is progressing.
ivor_the_injun

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:01 pm

Well i hope he recovers as quickly as possible, because he was starting to get used to the system before he got injured! i think next season he will be used more in the attacking midfield center role.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:08 pm

He is a good player, we have nothing to lose by signing him on for another season and perhaps a lot to gain should we be unlucky with injuries.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:13 pm

He's a good player when fit, and I for one wouild be sad to see him leave.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danny165 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:23 pm

goodplayer
Danny165

Postby Flashard » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:23 pm

Would like to see him back, was producing some good form after a patchy start. Good squad player and quality.
Flashard

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:24 pm

When does his contract expire?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:28 pm

I won't where he'll fit into Rafa's plans when we also have Gonzalez and Kewell on the left next season ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:30 pm

he was a decent player when he played for us, hope he recovers soon
onizukaeikichi

Postby Flashard » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Paul C wrote:I won't where he'll fit into Rafa's plans when we also have Gonzalez and Kewell on the left next season ???

Good question with us having these wide players.
Me thinks if he is kept and there is no reason why not, he could be used as he was for Boro in an attacking midfielders role, in the center or off the striker. He has a better first touch than Garcia after all :p
Flashard

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:39 pm

he still has a future here as he's got another two years on a contract. lets be fair, we've hardly seen him this year.

if you look at it, he's scored as many goals as kewell in a fraction of the the games.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:54 pm

He still has a future here....Remember...he can play as a central midfielder  and he can score goals too....so it will be  foolish to get rid of him.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:00 pm

I say keep for at least another year, no harm could be done and we could benefit a lot. My views may change if we get this investment in though
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby JC_81 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:06 pm

Zenden's a good player I think, definitely worth keeping around in the squad imo.

He's lost a lot of pace since his days at Barce and this injury certainly won't have helped that, so as a left winger he's going to be limited (not to mention the competition there will be for left midfield next season). 

But as a centre mid he could come in useful.  Didi's not getting any younger and we could use another body to help out in the middle next season.  When Gerrard's out we don't really have an attack-minded central midfielder apart from Zenden.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:38 pm

John Craig,

Good shout mate...

I can't see Bolo competing for the wide places next season but he could certainly still do a job in the centre of the park when we're missing one of the starters.

He'a a model professional and, like Didi, his experience and cool head would be welcome in tough games.

Glad to see he's not being rushed back too soon...
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion