Youth academy - It is a joke

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:01 pm

They have produced nothing since Gerrard came through,bar Otsemobor and Welsh who looks like he has some potential.I remember reading about the mistakes that have been made in turning down some young players like Duff cuz he kept running offside and of course some coaching wouldnt have solved this.O Shea I know he is united scum now but only after he was let go cuz he wasnt a good header or agressive enough again were these so serious coaching couldnt have improved him?and also Robbie Keane was quoted as saying he didnt feel like they really made much of an effort to sign him.What are they looking for the finished article???at such a young age they must have had potential which was overlooked and their weaknesses highlighted.Those 3 players alone now are worth over 30m and they were all so keen on signing for our club but they were not wanted.Madness I think.Anybody know any other young talent we let slip through the net?
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:11 pm

In all fairness, the same could be said about every premeirship team, United let Savage go, Arsenal let Beckham slip thru their fingers, Everton lost out on Owen, Wright,Fowler, McManaman and Carragher who all had trials for the club they supported as boys.

The youth system was total nothing around 12-13 years ago, a semi organised kick about during the evenings at melwood, and its now a purpose built huge state of the art complex.

It has produced in the last 10 years, Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Hutchinson, Matteo, Wright, Carragher, Mellor, Partridge, Welsh, Warnock, Otsemobor and many more who have moved on. It is the nature of the beast that players will prove themselves after being disposed of at other clubs.

Stevie Highway and all his staff past and present do a magnificent job, and this season without Carra, Gerrard and Owen we would probably be in a relegation dog fight.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:18 pm

Spot on, Leon. I can't see any problem with your comment, but well said Leon.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:48 pm

the houllier regime is literally destroying the hopes of all our promising youngsters. the top scorer for the reserves, steven gillespie is on his way to bristol city next season. it sucks.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:36 pm

St Michael why's he going to Bristol?

Surely Madrid would be a better option... oh thats right he's not good enough.

If youth players are good enough they make it. Its that simple.

Name a player who's played for under 17's and under 19's who's moved on to bigger and better things without being given a chance?

Hmmm.

Mellor, Otsemobor and Welsh will probably get a chance as they look to have potential. If they don't get a chance the chances are they'll never do it.

Welsh to me looks the only one really capable of breaking into the first team. Otsemobor looks good but has nothing defensively, with alot of work he could improve this area but weather he'll reach a premiership standard or not is questionable and physically i don't think Mellor has what it takes to make it at the highest level and this is suposed to be his strong point, hopefully i'm wrong about them but the reality is if they were as good as Owen, Gerrard or Fowler they'd be in there now as they would be simply to good to ignore.
115-1073096938

Postby JohnBull » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:38 pm

There are young  players at the Academy who show great potential but their heads are dropping already because of the influx of second rate overseas players.
My 6 year old has been several times but there are  cliques everywhere and I'd rather not get involved under the present set-up. A true Red would end up losing it after a  while - what's going on is wrong and you've got to swallow a lot of cr#p if you want your kid to stay.
Saying that, the under 12s are a bit special. Good players and NO frogs!!!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion