The academy

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JohnBull » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:26 pm

One of the saddest parts of Houlliers stay was the rift between Melwood and The Academy. There is no doubt that the club suffered because of the frenchmans inflexiblity.
There are players there better than the incomers bought by  Le Prique
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:22 am

I like to agree bigAL said the right thingy on Shearer. He was a lost to England.
And its also about attitude that brings the next wave through.
Not many new players play with the correct attitude. They place themselves on the Transfer list and hope to go to a glamour club quickly. These lads dun even know which achievement they wanted to aim for.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:46 pm

stu_the_red wrote:St Michael, 

I often don't read your longer posts like this i i'll find myself disagreeing with almost everything you say. Imo while you write and present your opinions superbly, the content of what you say is often cr@p.

yeah of course i do! i might lose sleep tonight over that bombshell. :D  :p  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby blind » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:13 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Yeah, Man UTD, West Ham and Liverpool have produced the best youngsters of the past decade or so, although Leeds had a purple patch at the end of the 1990s, with the likes of Smith, Kewell etc.

I honestly think that we need to give the academy more of a chance. Fair enough, graduates like Gerrard are few and far between, but I still think we are better off blooding young British guys instead of investing in foreigners who hang around the fringe of the squad. That's not being rascist, its economic: I'd sooner see a graduate who cost us nothing on minor wages than a guy like Diomonde stink the reserves up.

From the way that everyone has been going on that the acadamys are only there to produce local homegrown tallent  when was Kewell a product of the leeds acadamy as he was Austrailian.

I know what you are getting at but that is why gh brought in the likes of Baros ,Le Tallac and Pongolle so that they could be finnished off in the acadamy before they became perminant fixtures in the side.

The only reason the two french lads played so much last season was down to injurys. They will be able to be given the right guidence for the benefit of themselves and the club as a player of the calaber of there as the finished article would cost you ten times the fees paid for them now we just have to hope that gh 's prediction that they will be future greats for this mighty club will come to fruition and we will be able to turn around in a few years time and say thet gh did leave this club with the future secured.
Only Time will tell but here hoping we will achieve great success in the next couple of years who ever is in charge.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:35 pm

The only reason the 2 French lads played so much last season was because Le Prique had given away/ignored/been knocked-back by the homegrowners.
Send the frig gin lot back!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:19 pm

Right so players like Hyypia, Hamann, Kewell add nothing because they aren't english and from our academy?

Get real!!!

Where are all these world class academy players John Bull? Because i don't see any about....

I see Robbie Fowler failing at city, Matteo in the first division with Steven Wright and David Thompson playing in a poor Blackburn team when he's fit.

So where are they all John? All these world class kids you speak of? All these premiership players from our acadamy? Where are they?

John Welsh is arguabley the best to come out of there for a few years with Mellor, both could be on the fringes of the first team however neither are what you would call class players yet...

So wheres the rest? The answer John....

THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH!!!
115-1073096938

Postby blind » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:52 am

stu_the_red wrote:Right so players like Hyypia, Hamann, Kewell add nothing because they aren't english and from our academy?

Get real!!!

Where are all these world class academy players John Bull? Because i don't see any about....

I see Robbie Fowler failing at city, Matteo in the first division with Steven Wright and David Thompson playing in a poor Blackburn team when he's fit.

So where are they all John? All these world class kids you speak of? All these premiership players from our acadamy? Where are they?

John Welsh is arguabley the best to come out of there for a few years with Mellor, both could be on the fringes of the first team however neither are what you would call class players yet...

So wheres the rest? The answer John....

THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH!!!

spot on stu.

the likes of Le Tallac and Pongolle are here now and they are ten times better then the local lads at the acadamy exept for Mellor (who was loaned out last season to give him first team practice and to help improve his game) Even Beckham was loaned out before he finnaly broke into the first team so we need to be patiant for these players to come good.

John you are talkin cr*p mate because if you where in charge this club would be in the 3rd division in the blink of an eye. you need to see that the game has evolved from the local lads coming good to produce 70-90 % of the team you are lucky to get a realy good player from any clubs acadamy in 2 years let alone churn 3-4 per yaer that just isn't realistic.

look at Ajax probably one of the best youth systems in the world but they have not had much come out of it that you could say where world class since Davids,seadorff,Klivert and co and they are all now coming up for 30 the same with United they had a freak year in '92 with all those players coming through and being good enough to get into the side.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:06 am

A recent finding showed grown Academies (clubs with over five years of continuous investment) in England produce on average an income of £3.2m annualy from selling home grown players, and they save an average of £3.7m annualy for their clubs in transfer fees since there were less need to buy players.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion