Young, english and expensive. - Are lower league investments sensible?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stoney » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:57 pm

A.B. wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:English players are to expensive?

Thats garbage.

I'm sorry but a players nationality doesn't define their value at all.

Rafa says thay are. Stu says there not.

Who's right?  :D

They aren't though, players prices are not based on there nationality. They're based on the demand, quality and circumstances, its as simple as that.

Explain Birmingham's evaluation of Matthew Upson @ 10 million pounds.

-He's not quality
-He's not in demand
-He's not particularly playing well for Birmingham that they need him, he makes a mistake or two in every game. Has lapses in concentration as well.

Why the inflated price then?

I think thats more down to the Birmingham management being on crack
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:01 am

I think they should sign me! :D
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:02 am

A.B. wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Thats garbage.

They aren't though, players prices are not based on there nationality. They're based on the demand, quality and circumstances, its as simple as that.

-He's not quality
-He's not in demand
-He's not particularly playing well for Birmingham that they need him, he makes a mistake or two in every game. Has lapses in concentration as well.

Thats a fair point with regards to Upson but not all english players are expensive, Carrick wasn't nor was Dawson who looks the business.
The point Stu made is correct demand and circumstances play a massive part in a players transfer fee, as does recent form.
I am not a big admirer of Vassell, but he went for about 2 million and villa signed Baros for 6 million.
If one of the bigger clubs targets a player the price invariably rockets, whether the player is english or foreign, Saha at united is an obvious example...he was massively overpriced as was Reyes at Arsenal. Alan Smith cost half what Saha did and i know which player i would rather have.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:08 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
A.B. wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Thats garbage.

-He's not quality
-He's not in demand

Thats a fair point with regards to Upson but not all english players are expensive, Carrick wasn't nor was Dawson who looks the business.
The point Stu made is correct demand and circumstances play a massive part in a players transfer fee, as does recent form.
I am not a big admirer of Vassell, but he went for about 2 million and villa signed Baros for 6 million.
If one of the bigger clubs targets a player the price invariably rockets, whether the player is english or foreign, Saha at united is an obvious example...he was massively overpriced as was Reyes at Arsenal. Alan Smith cost half what Saha did and i know which player i would rather have.

I think it's a case of English players are expensive when they are in form.  Vassell was cheap for city, but he had also spent 12-16 months suffering from injury.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:00 am

stu_the_red wrote:They aren't though, players prices are not based on there nationality. They're based on the demand, quality and circumstances, its as simple as that.

Then why was the gaffer bemoaning the price of young english players when compared to players of similar quality (in his eyes) last week? The list of similar quotes made by managers working in England over the last few years is a long one.

If an English player runs into a bit of form for a few months and gets good write-ups in the press his price escalates. When i look at the price tag Andy Johnson commands or the fees paid for the likes of Glen Johnson, James Beattie, SWP and now Dean Ashton i'm gobsmacked. I remember a few years ago we were strongly linked with Michael Tonge at Sheffield Utd during the Treble season. He'd been playing well and looked a decent player but no where near the 3-4 mill that was being bandied about by the media, it was silly money. Even Crouchie, who has already done much to justify the price tag was worth about half of what we paid for him in your eyes at the time Stu.

I'm sure the price of home-grown is one of the main reasons (not the only one) that we have so many foreign players in this country. Perhaps they are now seen as such a rarity and thus, the rarer they are the more clubs are willing to pay?

I've been impressed with Tottenham's policy of buying in young british talent and must admit they have managed to do so without paying astromical fees. They seem to focussed on players with potential and there scouting seems to be good because they have got in quick before these players have really had the chance to blossom for their clubs. The likes of Lennon, Huddlestone, Dawson and Routledge etc look like good bets for the future. If Spurs are successful i think we might see a few more managers dipping into the lower leagues for talent and that can only be good for the English game.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:47 am

Scottbot wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:They aren't though, players prices are not based on there nationality. They're based on the demand, quality and circumstances, its as simple as that.

Then why was the gaffer bemoaning the price of young english players when compared to players of similar quality (in his eyes) last week? The list of similar quotes made by managers working in England over the last few years is a long one.

If an English player runs into a bit of form for a few months and gets good write-ups in the press his price escalates. When i look at the price tag Andy Johnson commands or the fees paid for the likes of Glen Johnson, James Beattie, SWP and now Dean Ashton i'm gobsmacked. I remember a few years ago we were strongly linked with Michael Tonge at Sheffield Utd during the Treble season. He'd been playing well and looked a decent player but no where near the 3-4 mill that was being bandied about by the media, it was silly money. Even Crouchie, who has already done much to justify the price tag was worth about half of what we paid for him in your eyes at the time Stu.

I'm sure the price of home-grown is one of the main reasons (not the only one) that we have so many foreign players in this country. Perhaps they are now seen as such a rarity and thus, the rarer they are the more clubs are willing to pay?

I've been impressed with Tottenham's policy of buying in young british talent and must admit they have managed to do so without paying astromical fees. They seem to focussed on players with potential and there scouting seems to be good because they have got in quick before these players have really had the chance to blossom for their clubs. The likes of Lennon, Huddlestone, Dawson and Routledge etc look like good bets for the future. If Spurs are successful i think we might see a few more managers dipping into the lower leagues for talent and that can only be good for the English game.

A.B. You'll also notice no-one will touch Upson because of that price tag.

Players in this country, like any other, are priced highly when they have ability and are doing well. There is also more money in the English game.

For example, how many players leave Danish teams for 5million pounds plus? Over there thats an astronomical fee, over here its average. The reason its only 5million for Agger is he's learnt his trade in Denmark where the standard is much lower.

Wright-Phillips, true value, 4million, todays value, 6-7million due to inflation, value to City (there best player been at the club for years) 10million, Chelsea come in and pay 7million.

Players like:

Dawson
Huddlestone
Lennon
Carrick
Murphy
Vassell
Fowler etc prove that english players don't cost the earth.

However how many view Jamie Carragher as priceless? I certainly do, yet he's not the best centre half in the world.  It goes ALOT deeper than simply "oh he's english he's worth 10million".

Are you telling me if a manager had a player who was as influencial to Liverpool as Carragher was they'd let them go for less simply because of there nationality?

I think you're insane if you think that.

Certain players are overpriced, i agree with that, however to state there nationality as a reason is rediculous. Mainly its down to value to there current team, form, ability (to an extent) and managers not knowing the true value of players. Andy Johnson isn't worth more than 4-5million pounds.

As for Ashton being overpriced I disagree. He's easily a 10milion pound player.

We signed a 4-5million pound player for 7million, West Ham signed a 10 million pound player for 7million, they got better value, a lad who can do everything our man can do and more.
115-1073096938

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:03 am

I think some people have misunderstood what Benitez meant by his comments.  He did say that English players were overpriced, but what I think he was getting at was that the English transfer market (including English players and foreigners playing in England) is overpriced.

Benitez paid 7 mil for Crouch when he was probably worth half of that at the time.  But look at Malbranque, a foreigner playing in England.  Man City bid 3-4 million for him in the summer (which is probably his true value), but Fulham wanted another few million before they'd consider selling.  Look at Saha, Baros, Ziege etc.  There have been loads of overpriced foreigner transfers between English clubs.  So really it's more about the English market than about nationality of a particular player.

Why do English clubs overvalue their players then?  Simply because they can.  With revenue from Sky tv, I believe mid to bottom premiership teams are richer than their counterparts in the other major European leagues.  Mid to lower table Spanish and Italian teams need the money more than the player sometimes, but teams in the Premiership never need to sell (Leeds a few years back being a major exception of course).

As for lower league teams overpricing their players, they do it because they know the Premiership is so flush with cash that someone will be silly enough to pay it.  So basically it's the English market that's inflated, not the price of English players in particular.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:35 pm

Poolinc. wrote:I think Kevin Doyle with Reading is pure class. He signed from my local team Cork City and always showed he was head and shoulders above the standard over here! Great first touch, great in the air, very fast.... defo worth a look..Oh and Reading got him for 50 grand due to a clause in his contract, so....

Doyle is definitely a class player although at Reading they've another young lad called John Oster whos one of the best wingers i've seen in a long time. Constantly taking people on and beating them to provide great balls to the front two. It's no surprise that Reading haven't lost a game since the first of the season and against West Brom in the cup it was hard to believe they were a championship side.
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:44 pm

tommycockles wrote:at Reading they've another young lad called John Oster whos one of the best wingers i've seen in a long time.

john oster young? he's been around for years ffs. he must be at least 27-28 now.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion