Ynwa to be banned - Copyright

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Luis Garcia » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:45 am

Dudeks No.1 Fan wrote:1st of all if this topic is on some were else i apologise.

I just heard on the radio that songs that supporters of football clubs have adopted (YNWA=Liverpool and YMCA=Everton) could be banned from being sung on the terraces by the fans because the media (TV or radio) is worried they will have to pay royalties to the artists of the song. This could mean the kop being banned from singing YNWA. I mean whats the world coming to when you cant even sing on the terreces.

Dipsh*t !

the song was made in the  60's, if there was a problem, it would have been raised a long time ago
Luis Garcia

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:02 am

Woollyback wrote:d'you know, i opened up this thread genuinely thinking that one of our more prolific spammers had been shown the door to room101

oh well, we can but dream :D

:laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:28 am

Dudeks No.1 Fan wrote:Thats what I said, Its Gerry Marsdens song now and how many times has he sung it live for us. I can find it on the web but I heard it on the radio in liverpool. There is no way I would stop singing it ever.

oh dear, the song is not Gerry Marsdens song, it is Rogers and Hemmersteins song, it is from the musical Carousel. Gerry Marsden just performed it in the 60's and the song was sung by the Kop, the song stuck with us.

the curent problem with performing rights is genuine. as Red Baron says, that people who are in a position to play music to more than a particular number of people has to pay the society. the society are now saying that songs sung at football grounds that can be heard on TV and radio should make the radio or tv station pay royalties.

the argument form radio and tv is that any crowd noise is 'incidental', i agree with this statement. how can you make the tv or radio pay royalities for songs sung in a crowd
112-1077774096

Postby cptrios » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:34 am

It's so bizarre to see so few games being played on TV there...in the states, every single one of our sports games is televised in some way or another. I simply couldn't imagine it any other way. Hopefully tihs new ruling'll change things for you guys.
And by the way, since YNWA is a Rogers & Hammerstein song, shouldn't it be in the public domain by now?
cptrios

Postby oakton » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:04 am

If that's the case, I think it's up to the TV station not to broadcast the singing. (which is fking ridiculous)
oakton

Postby misskop » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:25 am

From what I heard, fans are allowed to continue on singing, but if it's televised then the stations have to pay royalties for airing it, which means they'll just cut to commercial during the song then. Shame though cos watching the atmosphere of our traveling reds singing YNWA on the telly is priceless.  Just doesn't make sense why it has become an issue now after all these years? Money, the root of all evil once again :angry:
misskop

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:46 am

it'd never happen! simple as that!

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:49 am

LOL what a load of garbage, buddy, don't believe everything you hear and read. :;):
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roey316 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:22 am

It wont happen, In fact, if they ever tried to brink it in, the whole of Anfield will just sing it louder!
YNWA. Justice for the 96.
roey316

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:04 am

i believe it wont' happen
will they ask for royalty from 'happy birthday' too?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:35 am

adamnbarrett wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:The commentators on terrestrial are sh*te though you must admit, and SKY done us very very proud in the final, and the run up to it, even made the one night in may program :love:
And we got to hear Andy gray sayin What a Hit son , What a hit  :D somehow John Barnes couldnt have put it the same way as Andy the bitter Gray, who all evertonains hate now :D  :buttrock

That guy that used to work for channel 5 but now works for bbc isn't bad I remember his shouting when gerrard scored

"HOW HARD WAS THAT?

GERRRRARD THAT'S HOW HARD!!!!!"

:D

Oh yer I found out the guys name way Johnathon Pearce.

Hows that for detective work  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:17 am

it can't happen- royalties only come into play when you are making money from recording the song- this is why shows like Pop Idol and Stars in their Eyes don't have to pay royalties as they're mere kareoki shows. Club singers and tribute bands don't have to either as they're only performing- it's the recording that's protected. They may get stopped from playing the gerry and the pacemakers version at the club as this is a recording (which is protected) but they can't stop the Kop choir from singing it alone!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby tommycockles » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:19 am

..although i couldn't see Gerry Marsden suing Liverpool FC after all the money he makes from it being used in other shows as our anthem!! (and being a fan of course)
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:53 am

It will never be banned!
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:00 pm

actually royalties can be charged if the song is sung ni a licensed area. The poeple who own happy birthday offically can charge every time the song is sung ina  restaurant (but they dont...obviously)

letter of the law and common sense are two completely different things tho so i wouldnt get too worried yet
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion