Would you consider the season a success IF

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat May 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Mikz » Sat May 12, 2018 12:58 pm wrote:He needs to win something , its no good dining at the top table unless we bring a cup from it, even if we have to steal it  :grinning:

Cup finals are there to be won and we will  :buttrock

Maybe I'm happy clappy because it feels like yesterday that stuff like this was happening  :D

“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat May 12, 2018 3:01 pm

If we were to lose the final and finish 4th, it's an interesting once when it comes to measuring success. When it comes to CL, apart from the City tie, we've had pretty favourable draws. Let's be honest, the likes of Sevilla, Spartak, Maribor, Porto and Roma are not in the top elite bracket of European teams. Sevilla and Roma are good euro teams but nothing to fear and the others in that group are pretty meh in all honesty. The City tie was a massive achievement and the way we done it was highly impressive however i'm not ignorant enough not to accept that we have had the luck of the draw during our CL campaign this season so personally speaking I would be taking into account that to gauge just how successful this season is if we were to lose the final and come 4th. Other factors such as struggling against the other top 5 sides in the league this season (10 points of a possible 30) etc would also come into my thinking.

In my eyes, the season would be a success if we qualify for the CL but just how successful would need to be weighed up a bit more imo.
Doeboy

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Cup competitions are always a bit of a lottery, often involving big slices of luck.

Be honest lad's, at the start of the season how many of you thought we'd be in the CL final ?

Now we're there does that mean the season has been a success ?

If we win it ! ,  of course it's been a massive success

BUT

If we don't win it ?

Everything comes back to our performance the Premiership.

IMO, failure to qualify for a top four finish via our performance in the premiership would rank as best as a stalled performance, but in truth failure to be in next seasons Champions League would be a step backwards.

Ultimately, the result of out game against Brighton could (in the long run) prove to be just as important as what we might do against Madrid.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Doeboy » Sat May 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Let's be honest though, the chances of us finishing outside the top 4 are zilch. With them being safe, Brighton would be better off forfeiting the game and saving themselves a long trip imo as I think the only thing they are getting tomorrow is a spanking from us as we sign off with style in our last league game.

Media/Sky have made more out of this weekend/top 4 thing as there's nothing else to play for in the league with the title and relegation done and dusted. In reality, top 4 is also done and it's just the media/TV trying to make the most out of the crumbs they are left with on the last weekend of the season.
Doeboy

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat May 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I feel our season has been a success after we got past Man City over two legs in the CL Qtr final, as I never thought we had the strength and depth of squad to pull that off, so anything beyond the semis and a top four finish also is a success.

I personally will be gutted if we don't win the European Cup having got this far. Not many people remember beaten finalists, so hopefully we can pull out one last great performance from the Fab three. :buttrock
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun May 13, 2018 12:41 am

woof woof ! » Sat May 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Cup competitions are always a bit of a lottery, often involving big slices of luck.

Be honest lad's, at the start of the season how many of you thought we'd be in the CL final ?

Now we're there does that mean the season has been a success ?

If we win it ! ,  of course it's been a massive success

BUT

If we don't win it ?

Everything comes back to our performance the Premiership.

IMO, failure to qualify for a top four finish via our performance in the premiership would rank as best as a stalled performance, but in truth failure to be in next seasons Champions League would be a step backwards.

Ultimately, the result of out game against Brighton could (in the long run) prove to be just as important as what we might do against Madrid.

Still can't believe we are in the final  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion