Will it be anelka instead?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:30 am

Anelka in frame if deal for Morientes falls down

Dominic Fifield
Friday January 7, 2005
The Guardian

Liverpool will learn whether their pursuit of Real Madrid's striker Fernando Morientes is successful over the next 48 hours, with Rafael Benítez prepared to consider alternative forwards from the Premiership if he fails.
Morientes is due to meet Real's new coach Wanderley Luxemburgo over the weekend to discuss Morientes' immediate future. Benítez is confident Luxemburgo will not be able to persuade the 28-year-old to remain as a bit-part player at the Bernabéu though, with Lyon since declaring interest, he will not allow Liverpool to be drawn into an auction.

"We have a clear idea of the price we will pay," said Benítez. "The president [Florentino Pérez] and the staff know the situation and the player has said he wants to go to Liverpool, so I don't think they will change Morientes' mind.

"But just in case, we are watching other players. We are talking with agents and we have some names, but a lot are more expensive than we'd like. We won't pay too much, but the market is quite wide at the moment."

Benítez's focus is on potential Premiership signings with Manchester City's Nicolas Anelka his most viable option. "We know all about Anelka and he's a good player," said the manager.

Liverpool have switched their emphasis from recruiting a young goalkeeper to an experienced stop-gap with Chris Kirkland out for three months. A loan signing is likely.

Benitez will field a weakened side at Burnley in the FA Cup tonight. Steven Gerrard will be rested, probably along with Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:52 am

Poste: Attaquant
Né: 14/03/79
Taille: 1.86
Poids: 80
Saisons au club: 95/96 - 96/97
00/01 - 01/02

PSG
Saison 1995/96 2 matchs   
Saison 1996/97 8 matchs 1 but
1er match : 7 février 1996
Monaco-PSG (1-0)
1er but : 20 septembre 1996
PSG-Lens (4-0)

Arsenal
Fin Saison 1997 4 matchs   
Saison 1997/98 26 matchs 6 buts
Saison 1998/99 35 matchs 17 buts
1er match : 5 avril 1997
Chelsea-Arsenal (0-3)
1er but : 9 novembre 1997
Arsenal-Manchester (3-2)

Real Madrid
  Saison 1999/2000 19 matchs 2 buts
  1er match : 21 août 1999
  Majorque-Real (1-2)
1er but : 5 janvier 2000
Real-Al-Nassr (3-1)

PSG
  Saison 2000/2001 27 matchs 8 buts
  Saison 2001/2002
Juil.-Déc. 2001  12 matchs 2 buts

Liverpool
  Saison 2001/2002
Janv.-Mai. 2002  20 matchs 4 buts

Manchester City
  Saison 2002/2003 38 matchs 14 buts
1er match : 17 août 2002
Leeds-Manchester City (3-0)
1er but : 31 août 2002
Manchester City-Everton (3-1)

Awards
Champion d'Europe Juniors  1996
Vainqueur du Charity Shield 1998
Champion d'Angleterre 1998
Coupe d'Angleterre  1998 
Vainqueur de la Ligue des Champions 2000
Champion d'Europe  2000
Coupe des Confédérations 2001
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thekopp » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:35 am

To be honest, I would prefer Anelka over Morientes due to simple reasons; Anelka's age, his Premier League experience and also the fact that he isnt cup tied for the Champions League.
Its also apparent that Real Madrid are going to make life as difficult as possible for Liverpool signing Morientes, I think Benetiz should stop wasting his time with Madrid, and just go for Anelka which would probably be much easier.
Though, Manchester City are adament that they won't let Anelka go unless they recieve a 'wild' offer as they owe PSG 5 million.
Maybe Benetiz should look elsewhere? What are everyone elses opinions on Anelka?
thekopp

Postby akumaface » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:49 am

Prefer Anelka for the same reasons as well and if we can't sign Morientes, maybe there is a silver lining in disguise afterall.:)
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthernScouser » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:50 am

Anelka is quality - no doubt about that
However - he has been prone over the years to throw his toys out of the pram - but under a new manager like Rafa - who knows what he could do with him
The only other thing I worry about if we sign Anelka is what sort of style we would play - as much as I loved Michael Owen - we were rather one dimensional towards the end of his time at Anfield - the long ball from Gerrard - we seem to have moved away from that with the arrival of Benitez & the likes of Alonso - I wouldn't want us to start playing like that again - only a small concern - having said that
Were as - Morientes is a different type of player - he would bring something else to the team playing alongside the likes of Cisse & Baros
I agree wholeheartedly that we should not be held to ransom by Madrid - if he wants to sign - he will - we've done enough chasing and opened the door wide enough for him - let's leave it up to him
SouthernScouser

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am

Liverpool may target Anelka
Friday January 07 2005

Liverpool will target an English-based striker to revive their bid for a place in the Champions League if the bid to bring Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes to Anfield collapses.

Manager Rafael Benitez has described Manchester City striker Nicolas Anelka as "a very good player" which suggests the club could bid for the Frenchman.

City boss Kevin Keegan admitted this week that a "massive" bid for Anelka could tempt the club to sell the former France international.

The forward had a successful loan stint at Liverpool in the 2001/02 season, when Gerard Houllier's side finished second in the Premiership, and captain Steven Gerrard recently admitted the striker would be a welcome addition.

Although Morientes appears to remain Benitez's prime target, Madrid are stalling on a deal, reportedly holding out for £7million, far exceeding Liverpool's valuation.

By selecting Morientes to face Real Sociedad this week, new boss Wanderley Luxemburgo hinted that the Spain star could still have a future at the Bernabeu.

Benitez said in the Daily Mail that Liverpool would not pay over the odds for Morientes.

"Real have talked about a certain amount of money, but we have our own clear idea of a price and will proceed on those lines," he said.

"There are other options we are considering. The main one is in England because that kind of player knows what we are doing and how we want to play.

"All I can say about Nicolas Anelka is that he is a very good player. I don't want to say more than that."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:36 am

It's all up in the air at the moment, I just wish Real would clear up the situation but I think that LFC will have an answer from them in the next 2 days, I'd be happy with either striker but happier with Morientes.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zythums » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:49 am

Now Rafa has mentioned Anelka, I'm dead sure he has absolutely no interest in him. It's only a smokescreen! He just spoke about not revealing any players' names, so that their prices won't go up, right?

So relax folks, it's only a smoke screen :D
zythums

Postby thekopp » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:06 am

Liverpool ready to go for Man City striker Anelka
tribalfootball.com - January 7, 2005

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is ready to bid for Manchester City striker Nicolas Anelka.

Choose from over 7,500 FREE Cursors
With his patience wearing thin over delays from Real Madrid on the availability of Fernando Morientes, Benitez is ready to turn his sights to Frenchman Anelka.

"We know all about Anelka and he's a good player," said Benitez.
thekopp

Postby Sean » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:31 am

Anelka is not an out and out goalscorer (check out his stats if you don't believe me).  We need somebody who wll guarantee us at least 20 goals a season.  Anelka is not capable of that.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:31 am

I thought Morientes was 33 not 28 ???
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:33 am

Hes 28 mate.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:03 pm

Sean wrote:Anelka is not an out and out goalscorer (check out his stats if you don't believe me).  We need somebody who wll guarantee us at least 20 goals a season.  Anelka is not capable of that.

Why don't you check Morientes stats then mate, they are almost identical.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:18 pm

I didn't claim Morientes would do any better...in fact XSD I didn't even mention him in my post.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthernScouser » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:04 pm

I reckon they could both do a job for us
But they are different players and would bring different qualities to the team
I wouldn't really worry too much about Anelka's stats - he's been getting his supply from a dodgy Man City midfiled
Would be a different story if he came to us again
Morientes showed how good he could be when he was at Monaco
Don't really know why he's not been given a fair crack of the whip at REAL - then again - with Raul & Ronaldo on fire - he was always gonna be up against it
Look at Baros - couldn't get a sniff when Heskey & Owen were here - head started to drop
Now look at him - he starting to look like "de Man" because he actually believes he is now
What a difference a bit of confidence and belief makes ?
Come on Morientes - time to step up and become the next KOP IDOL of LFC
SouthernScouser

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion