Why is it taking so long?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:39 am

To sign Central Defenders? You can say its been about 3/4 years TBH, when Rafa came he knew this was the department that we needed the most cover for.
Im not blaming Rafa cause Houllier didnt sign one, he totally ruined Igor playing him in CD when he didnt have a clue and was made a scapegoat when we got beat.
Whats the problem with a club of our stature in not buying a 10-15 million pound defender?

I would say this is the area that needs more attention than the right wing, Pellegrino wasnt the answer he was a joke, but he left and no one was brought in for him, why NOT?
Sammi was ill before the Chelsea game but we had no one who could replace him.

Troare/Whitbread or Josemi are not the answer, they are make shift cover if Jamie or Sammi get injured, and god forbid if Jamie or sammi got injured we would get destroyed.

Its a serious question though as to why we havent bought a quality CD in around 3/4 years ?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:05 am

we know its benitez's other priority position and the club went all out to try and get the players they wanted in the summer. it turns out though that everyone played hard to get form the agents to the clubs to the players. ans so ulitmately we failed to get anyone but i don't think it was for want of trying. the alternative of getting someone we didn't really want at an over inflated price isn't such a good one. but still, i'm really hoping we get this fixed in january.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:15 am

andy_g wrote:we know its benitez's other priority position and the club went all out to try and get the players they wanted in the summer. it turns out though that everyone played hard to get form the agents to the clubs to the players. ans so ulitmately we failed to get anyone but i don't think it was for want of trying. the alternative of getting someone we didn't really want at an over inflated price isn't such a good one. but still, i'm really hoping we get this fixed in january.

I dont just mean the last transfer window Andy I mean since the Henchoz/Hyypia partnership was broken up our defence has been the problem area for us.
Remember when Houllier was playing Biscan and Troare as two centre halfs, that was bad enough and then Houllier failed to sign Boumsong (which looks like a blessing in disguise now) but if he was prepared to pay how much 8 million? I think it was, why have we not bought a Centre half since we bought Hyypia?
Carra was a rightback at the time it was only when we bought Finnan that Carra went into the central defence and what a move that has been for him, far better than he was at rightback, but he has grown up alot and is 110% dedicated to his position that has made him vice captain.

Mathew Upson was not the answer either the state of Birminghams defence, I think we should have bought Ledley King when we had the chance, but I think on Jamuarys shopping list a Central Defender must be the top of the list.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:24 am

You are totally right, the fact we haven't signed a centre half since Hyypia and Henchoz is a major mistake.
I know Rafa brought in Pellegrino...but the less said about him the better.
We are really lucky that Carra has moved into the centre and performed so well otherwise we would be in big trouble.
I'm not sure who we should go for but i am with you on Upson...i done think he is anywhere near good enough.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:51 am

Gh try to bring Jean alain bousong but he went to  G rangers. He try to bring mexes and as we know he goes to roma. The  fact that we never try to bring someone in cd department  is not correct.
darwisigila

Postby muttleyp » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 am

Yes we do try for central defenders, but the question might be how hard are trying, compared to other teams who seem to get their players, while we always seem to miss out for one reason or another?
muttleyp

Postby Homebooby » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:40 am

Each manager that takes over a club that needs to develop has a 5 year strategy.

Rafas first season aim was to bring in some quality and shift dead wood

This season, he shifted more deadwood and thickened out the squad, especially in the midfield. He hopefully answered the goalkeeping issue.

The need for defensive cover plus wingers is well documented on these boards and we would have moved forward had some of the people we approached made the move, but they all turned us down. I don't expect too much activity either in January either as I don't think that our league position will be very attractive to the type of player that we are looking for.

I think that we're another good 2 seasons away from the type of squad we and Rafa wants to see.

The simple reason that we didn't sign anyone prior to Rafa coming in, is that Houllier lost his marbles after his heart scare.
Homebooby

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:44 am

I agree we need a new central back.

I don't know if up there there's lack of centre backs aswell, it just seems difficult to find new good centre backs.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SteveMW » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Hello everyone.  Just joined this forum today. I normally use the LiverpoolFC one but am unable to use that between 1pm and 4pm.

I think the main reason is that the club refuse to be held to ransom by the clubs they wish to buy the players off.  It's not an example of a central defender situation, but just look at the Owen case in the summer.  He made it clear he would prefer a move to Liverpool, the club wanted him, but Real Madrid wanted twice as much for him as they had paid us for him a year previously, despite him starting less than half the teams matches.  So we didn't get our man.  If we hadn't spent the money on crouch, we may or may not have gone higher, who knows?   The transfer market is being over inflated thanks to the likes of Chelsea and Madrid making sure they pay over the odds for players, just to make sure they get them.  Everyone also seems under the impression that because we won the Champions League, the club suddenly has an endless supply of cash.  This is not the case.  Rafa is tryong not to make the mustakes Houllier did, by signing the wrong players for this great club of ours.

Cheers

Steve
SteveMW

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:07 pm

I agree with you Steve. Welcome.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rimetto » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:31 pm

Welcome Steve, Totally agree with what you say. And how can you go on about us not buying a central defender in the past 3/4 years when Rafa has only been with us for just over a season. Maybe if we've not bought a defender after the january transfer window then have a go. But i think we should just wait and see where we stand in after that.
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby onizukaeikichi » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:33 pm

rafa's priority is getting a RW, but he aint talking yet, in case if the player's price inflates if his club knows that we are after him - we just have to patient for now and hope rafa will get his tactics right untill Jan
onizukaeikichi

Postby Ciggy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:34 pm

Rimetto wrote:Welcome Steve, Totally agree with what you say. And how can you go on about us not buying a central defender in the past 3/4 years when Rafa has only been with us for just over a season. Maybe if we've not bought a defender after the january transfer window then have a go. But i think we should just wait and see where we stand in after that.

I didnt say it was Rafa's fault did I?
I said why havent we signed a central defender for 3-4 years was Rafa here then NO, Im not blaming Rafa atall.
I am asking why we have failed to sign 0ne or two defenders in the past couple of years.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SteveMW » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:40 pm

And my answer, in a nutshell, was "Because the club do not wish to pay over inflated prices for players"
SteveMW

Postby SteveMW » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:42 pm

Thanks
SteveMW

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion