El Hadji Diouf
No votes
Steven Gerrard
65%
Other
8%

Total votes : 26

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:52 pm

In an ideal world i'd agree because we should have a deep defensive midfielder Hamman or Diao and Gerrard further forward and then 2 wide midfielders who are actually wide players,but with us not even having 1 wide midfielder i would put Murphy right midfield this season.He and Stevie G could swap positions if things weren't working and that would make things more difficult for other  teams to mark them.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:22 pm

fair enough
i dont think murph would dominate the middle as gerrard can nor do i think murph has the pace to play wide...
he's kind of that in between player and its hard to say where his best position is...thats why i would have him on the bench as a bits and pieces man....
jaypap

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:15 pm

Who would you have then if Murphys sub ?? I do agree our attacks slow down often when he recieves the ball as he hasn't the pace to beat his man,but we really are short on alternatives.Maybe Diouf but its really annoying having a 10 million right winger when he's not really a winger anyway. We could have had someone like Overmars for that money.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:01 pm

ace
i share ur frustration
but neither diouf or murphy are wingers, so id take diouf as i think he has more potential to turn to a winger, much like wiltord...hopefully!
i dont like murphy in the middle of the park with gerrard all that much...ok for every now and then, but id prefer someone a bit stronger like hamman or diao...at the moment murphy is probably best used on the left side helping the inside midfielders and pushing wide when possible...but this year if we dont buy a left sided player like kewel, id rather carragher played left back and riise pushed up on the left wing...if he can recapture his form from a few years ago, we might go ok...
what about this:
dudek
finnan henchoz hyppia carragher
diouf hamman gerrard risse
owen baros
i think thats our best 11...
jaypap

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:22 am

Yeah if we don't buy anyone else i think thats a good side to start the season,the defence is great and with the break and renewed confidence hopefully after his wedding Riise could be back to the player from 2 seasons ago.Lets not forget even though he was struggling for form last season and wasn't even picked for half of it he still scored almost as many as Heskey. So in my opinion Riise will come good again.Yeah Diouf has got potential to do a job like Wiltord does for Arsenal,but he needs to look up a bit more..the amount of times he has the ball and runs into a corner were theres 2 or 3 defenders  and loses the ball i lose count in every game. But he is quite a strong player despite his physique and can beat a man as well,so he probably deserves his chance there again if we don't buy anyone else.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:42 pm

diouf has been one of the most, if not the most expensive player gh has ever bought, i cant see him buying someone else to replace him if infact gh intends on developing him as a right sided player...it would be a real waste of 10 mill...i think he intends to use him like wiltord and play him wide much of the time with occassions where he goes up front...and i hope he learns to look up...
he cost us a goal against mancity which i dont forgive him for!
riise will be very important to us if duff doesnt come...i am resigned to the fact that gh wont buy kewel...if riise performs like a few years ago, i'll be more than happy with that...
jaypap

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:20 pm

Hopefully its just inexperience on Dioufs part he is inexperienced as a right winger but he did get bettre and can beat his man,i will reserve judgement on him until after this season when he will have hopefully been given an extended run in a settled position.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:48 pm

i agree with ur policy ace
he ceratinly does need some time on the pitch...
lets hope gh doesnt restrict him and lets him have a free reign so diouf can really show us what he made of...
how many goals do u think he can score from a wide position next season and what will u be happy with?
jaypap

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:23 pm

Diouf if he plays right midfield should be looking at double figures,and i would be happy with that. He needs to just look up a bit more rather than go bombing into the corner where theres no way out,he wins throws and corners but you can see hes better than that and should be using the ball and the position he's in far better.I think you can see the lads got ability its all about using him right and the manager and fans giving him the right encouragement.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:36 pm

It's also about having the right support when you're attacking.So for Diouff to succeed going forward he needs a right-back to be one of the options for a pass.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby no10 the main man » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:35 pm

THE TWO PLATERS WHO GET THE LEAST MENTION ARE THE ONES WHO MAKE THE MOST DIFFERENCE WHEN NOT PLAYING. HENCHOZ&HAMMAN,HYYPIA IS NOT THE SAME WITH OUT HENCHOZ,&GERRARD PLAYS TO DEEP WITHOUT HAMMAN,HOULLIER MADE SOME BAD DECISIONS TAKING HAMMAN OFF,THEN LIVERPOOL FELL APART
no10 the main man

Postby Chinesegirl » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:00 am

Owen & Dudek ;)
watch match on tv to support LFC now
watch mathc in anfield to support several years later!
i'll study hard for LFC
Chinesegirl

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:43 pm

Hamman and henchoz were missed badly last season and the points you made were very good.we missed those two so much,hyypia was being exposed because he had to do the job sinle handed and Gerrard was playing too deep and not getting himself into the positions he can hurt opposing teams.The only thing with hamman is he can sometimes not be positive enough with his passing,he should be looking forwards a bit more rather than backwards.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:29 pm

hamman is a strong disciplined defencive midfielder but is way too negative and no way creative enough...he does not have the talent to carry the ball and give a vital link pass to a scoring position...not often enough anyway...
personally i would rather see gerrard playing that position and we should buy a skillful tricky midfielder who can dribble & carry the ball and link with the front 2...
gerrard should play the game zidane plays, a little deeper and come forward when the opportunity is there and when he has cover...he can be as good as zz doing that, infact almost better!!!!!!!!     
all we need is nedved and we'd cut teams up....
im so excited by what i think gerrard can be 4 us, he is the future of the club...i just cant wait till he fulfills his potential...
jaypap

Postby no10 the main man » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:28 pm

:D jaypap have u forgotten the worthington cup final already
no10 the main man

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion