New 'keeper?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby desperado0831 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:23 am

cudicini is ageing and i'm sure that dudek still my.no1 keeper despite he's always shadowed by some blunder goal. kirkland is good enough to replace dudek after couple of years but many clubs are cant hardly wait to grab him now.

Go...dudek!

p/s:why not we sign buffon? :D
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby akumaface » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:51 am

tel wrote:Dudek costs us points. Consistently.

We should make an offer for Cudicini.

Hey Tel, how well do you know Cudicini? He made a mistake against Arsenal last year as well and cost them the game. That's why Chelsea bought Cech this year. According to your standard, he shouldn't be considered good enough right? But Why do you now think he is worth a switch to LFC? Besides, the defense Chelsea had was better than what we had last year. You just can't compare strictly without other consideration. I'm sure Chelsea would gladly trade cudicini for Dudek one for one. I still think Dudek can't be at fault for the 2 goals he conceived this season so far. I explained the goals in other thread and not going to repeat it. But If you know football, those goals were not as simple a save as you think it is.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby tel » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:30 am

laza wrote:

Well Dudek didnt cost any points on Saturday  :grinning:

This is the 1st time in a long time we went one behind but managed to win the game.

In fact, so often last season we went behind and were unable to score. Particularly at Anfield.

Same story the year before. Have you forgotten when Sunderland last visited Anfield? I still have nightmares about that game.

We simply cannot afford to give away cheap goals like Dudek has the capacity to and expect our strikers to score twice.

We were lucky on Sat. Certainly a sign of a much improved team under Rafa to win the game coming from behind.

But Dudek will continue to give away cheap goals, and we will not always be able to win the game. Especially under better opposition.

Without Traore in defence, Dudek is our weakest link.
tel

Postby tel » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:40 am

akumaface wrote:

Hey Tel, how well do you know Cudicini? He made a mistake against Arsenal last year as well and cost them the game. That's why Chelsea bought Cech this year. According to your standard, he shouldn't be considered good enough right? But Why do you now think he is worth a switch to LFC? Besides, the defense Chelsea had was better than what we had last year. You just can't compare strictly without other consideration. I'm sure Chelsea would gladly trade cudicini for Dudek one for one. I still think Dudek can't be at fault for the 2 goals he conceived this season so far. I explained the goals in other thread and not going to repeat it. But If you know football, those goals were not as simple a save as you think it is.

Cudicini has been the best keeper in the Premier League over past 3 seasons. Dudek has not. Dudek has been one of the worst.

I would pick Niemi from Southampton as a better target but he's as injury prone as Kirkland.

Happy to accept that Cudicini may not be the best keeping target for us, however, as a former keeper, I can tell you that Dudek is one of the worst playing today. No ability on 1-1 with strikers, always gets beaten at near post, Nowhere to be found on crosses into the box, hopeless at corners.

Anyone that's kept goal can see the guy is a good keeper for the Dutch league, but lost at sea in this one.
tel

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:25 am

[quote][/quote]

He's been beaten at his near post twice in 2 games - not good enough
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby akumaface » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:29 am

tel wrote:
akumaface wrote:

Cudicini has been the best keeper in the Premier League over past 3 seasons. Dudek has not. Dudek has been one of the worst.

I would pick Niemi from Southampton as a better target but he's as injury prone as Kirkland.

Happy to accept that Cudicini may not be the best keeping target for us, however, as a former keeper, I can tell you that Dudek is one of the worst playing today. No ability on 1-1 with strikers, always gets beaten at near post, Nowhere to be found on crosses into the box, hopeless at corners.

Anyone that's kept goal can see the guy is a good keeper for the Dutch league, but lost at sea in this one.

Well, I think your comment on Dudek was a bit unfair. Look at our record for the last three years and you sound like you are blaming it all on Dudek. I accept the fact that if you say Dudek wasn't at his best last season but not the last three years. Furthermore, he surely wasn't among the worse gk in EPL. LFC was among the team that gave up the least goal in each of the last three season. So, you didn't think Dudek was part of the reason?

You said you were a former GK but that doesn't make you an expert in judging other GK. I respect your comment but I'm sure many people would disagree with it. I think being a LFC fan, we should support our team full hearted and not beating them while they are down. I'm still confident in Dudek's ability and we'll see the result at the end of the season.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:41 am

Ever since Bruce Grobbelaar left us, we have yet to have a decent keeper playing at the top of his game for more then 1 season.

At first i though it had something to do with Joe Corrigan, but he has left and Dukek is still prone to making errors.

We have had David James, Brad Friedel, Sander Westerveld and now Dukek play in goal for us.

All of these players came in with great reputations but left Liverpool as being deemed not good enough. This can hardly be the case now can at. James was touted as the best young english keeper when we signed him from Watford at the age of 21. Liverpool should have moulded him into being number one both for club and country, instead he is a mess that cannot catch a cross even if he went to church.

Brad Friedel went on to Blackburn and became a hero in the way he managed to keep the ball out of the back of the net despite not having a very good defence in front of him.

Sander played a blinder when he went to Spain almost winning the league and saving penalties and being the star player in their team.

Hopefully now with Rafa bringing in his own goal keeping coach things will change for the better and we can get the best out of our keepers.   :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:13 pm

tel wrote:
This is the 1st time in a long time we went one behind but managed to win the game.

Interesting point - when was the last time (in premiership), we went behind, but managed to win?
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:18 pm

jymbojetset wrote:when was the last time (in premiership), we went behind, but managed to win?

if i'm not mistaken, we went behind at home to birmingham at home last season (forsell scored). however we went on to win 3-1 with a gerrard penalty, kewell header and that heskey scissor kick. :;):
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:19 pm

stmichael wrote:
jymbojetset wrote:when was the last time (in premiership), we went behind, but managed to win?

if i'm not mistaken, we went behind at home to birmingham at home last season (forsell scored). however we went on to win 3-1 with a gerrard penalty, kewell header and that heskey scissor kick. :;):

That recent - seems like years!
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:23 pm

jymbojetset wrote:That recent - seems like years!

yeah well before that it was about 3 years or something like that. our problen under houllier was once we went a goal down we had no plan b, a bit like england. :(
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:27 pm

Stop the press!!!!!!

The tea lady has forgot to put a sugar in Rafa's tea.
I think we need to get rid of her and get a new one. I hear Middlesboro have a good tea lady.

Let's get rid of S.Gerrard to for that mistake he once made.

Oh and the dustbin man that empties the club wheelie bins, he drop a pop bottle in the car park, FIRE HIM!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:29 pm

anyway lets face it, back in the days when we had a great keeper we didn't really need one did we. We always had enough up front to make sure we didn't lose often.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:29 pm

I don't pick a player after every match to rag on, infact i spend more time defending players who had a bad game. And in all fairness, Carraghers header was unexpected by Dudek, and did no one else notice how Anelka stood on Jerzy?

But all the same, i think Dudek is slowly coming to an average. Its pretty natural for a player to "wind" down when he gets older...and before anyone says it, i know a lot of players get better with age. i still think Dudek is over average though, i mean that in a good way. As for Kirkland, hes a top keeper, but hes way too injury prone, injury prone like ive never seen before in my life...i think hes a bit slow too. :p
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:30 pm

'cept england din't have a plan for when they went a goal up either... come to think of it neither did we  :(
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion