Who else do we need? - Weak areas,replacements

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Madmax » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:41 am

We have been talking about this in other threads but would like to create one where we could chat about this. Will create less congestion elsewhere.

Anyhow glad we have equiped aquilani really fast, a good and swift replacement for alonso.

However i still feel we need an additional defender, cover striker and a creative player.

Would like silva, distin and probably a decent striker unsure of who though because of insufficient funds!

I feel cover for torres is crucial and something we need to look into. If he was to get injured we lack depth in that position which will leave us with nemeth, ngog and babel. None of those player could maintain a decent standard.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:47 am

Silva is the answer, he can play upfront if Torres gets injured and Distin would be a nice backup
Fauxy

Postby Madmax » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:03 am

Fauxy wrote:Silva is the answer, he can play upfront if Torres gets injured and Distin would be a nice backup

If torres does get injured then we could always play gerrard upfront shift silva just behind gerrad and stick riera on the left. So yeah silva would be an ideal buy!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:23 am

We already have alonso's replacement....(Have to say....Aquilani will be a massive signing for us. Seen him play a few times for roma...Looks like a smashing player).

Now we have to get hyppia's replacement. Distin will be a cheap and adequate replacement. Distin's already better in the air than Carra, Skertel and Agger....so he will be a good signing.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Highland Red » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:31 am

Don't rate Distin as a Liverpool defender and not in the same class as Hyppia. Merely a stop-gap.

I'd look higher and elsewhere.
Highland Red

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:33 am

We only have three CBs so a cover CB, preferably young and good enough or with enough potential to challenge for a starting place.

I've maintained all along our formation works and gets the best out of Torres, Gerrard and Kuyt. Yossi did a good job latterly in the season, but we need someone opposite side to Kuyt to contribute more goals and assists than that side did last season - more than Riera weighs in with anyway. I'd prefer a CF who can play LWF so we have him and Kuyt as back-up strikers as well as Voronin and N'Gog.

Those for me are the two signings I'd like to see, key for me is we need to win more games and draw less so more goals/assists from LWF would be useful as well as a shift in emphasis to an attacking game like the mancs play.

Premiership 07/08-08/09

Liverpool : P76 W46 D24 L6 F144 A55 PTS 162 (Won 60.53%, Clean Sheets 38)
Man Utd : P76 W55 D12 L9 F148 A46 PTS 177 (Won 72.37%, Clean Sheets 45)

We lost less games in both seasons, they won more and consequently won two league titles. While our goals scored is right up with their's, they make their's count so either we tighten up defensively which would be difficult to guarantee - especially trying to win 1-0 - or score more goals generally. We won 10 out of our last 11 Premiership games last season, scoring 34 goals compared to the 43 we scored in the previous 27 games. We conceded seven of which four were in the only draw down to sloppy defending.

And who knows, maybe everyone's favourite player Lucas might make Alonso's place his own.......................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:49 am

welcome back Owzat - haven't seen you on here for a while :)

dunno if Silva will leave Valencia to be honest but he'd be my choice. We really need someone who can chip in with goals and play in amongst the front three. Aqulani's goal scoring record isn't great so we still need someone who's a goal scoring threat
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:56 am

Greavesie wrote:welcome back Owzat - haven't seen you on here for a while :)

Thanks. Decided to take a break from the forum, all the squabbling over the same old same old and one person's tantrums.

Greavesie wrote:dunno if Silva will leave Valencia to be honest but he'd be my choice. We really need someone who can chip in with goals and play in amongst the front three. Aqulani's goal scoring record isn't great so we still need someone who's a goal scoring threat

I thought Tevez could fill the LWF role, Rafa decided otherwise - or Tevez decided against moving here. The key for me is that everyone talks about a "quality striker" as back-up for Torres. Well none are going to come to warm the bench, and playing two up front could be detrimental to Kuyt, Gerrard and Torres' effectiveness, BUT playing a CF on the left like we do with Kuyt on the right could work.

Maybe Babel could finally fulfil his potential, if he has any that is, and be that LWF. But I'd rather sign someone who has the skills on the ball to create and score as a striker and can play off the strikers and anywhere in attacking areas. Maybe we're just too slow moving, I saw Diego mentioned elsewhere although I'm not so sure he'd work as a LWF but maybe. Shame that deal went through ages ago, a manc fan I know waxed lyrical about him but I think that was based on football games on PC/PS
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:56 am

david silva's goal scoring record isn't great and aquilani is replacing someone who didn't score that much, so its a wash
JoeTerp

Postby anti-hero » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:01 am

I dont think we need Distin. We have 3 first choice center backs and a promising one in Kelly. I know recruiting Distin would be for " just in case" scenarios but buying a 2-3 million dollar footballer who would probably only play sparingly does not make sense to me.

The funds could be used elsewhere, the odd buck or two might be the difference in prying players like Silva away from their cash strapped clubs.

Plus I'd rather see the kids - like Kelly and Pacheco, Nemeth, - get a couple of games under their belt. Games in the big league is the only sure fire way you can tell if they're good enough.

We've invested time and money into them. Now we need to invest our trust. :)
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:13 am

You people want a Left Winger/Forward?

BRING BACK HARRY KEWELL!

:D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:20 am

anti-hero wrote:Plus I'd rather see the kids - like Kelly and Pacheco, Nemeth, - get a couple of games under their belt. Games in the big league is the only sure fire way you can tell if they're good enough.

Yeah cause we don't want to win the league, we'd rather blood kids instead.......................
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:12 am

Owzat wrote:
anti-hero wrote:Plus I'd rather see the kids - like Kelly and Pacheco, Nemeth, - get a couple of games under their belt. Games in the big league is the only sure fire way you can tell if they're good enough.

Yeah cause we don't want to win the league, we'd rather blood kids instead.......................

What's the point of having them in the team then?

A couple of pre-season games, a loan spell at a second tier club? They're never going to develop - into Premiership calibre players.

Blooding youngsters is part of the game. A necessary part. Bar Chealsea, the mancs do it, and Arsenal do it all the time.

Where would players like Gerrard and Carra be then if nobody gave them the chance to show what they had?
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:21 am

As for the silva rumours.....I hope we look at robben 1st before silva. Robben has premierleague experience..he is a d1ck and all....but so was ronaldo and he was the main reason for manure's recent success.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Fabiomenal 1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:49 am

Absolutely a forward. When Torres is out it's a tragedy. It would represent also an opportunity to change the tactics every now and then.
The Fabiomenal 1

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion