What should the club do?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:14 pm

I always feel let down when LFC seem to do nothing to challenge the powers that be in football.
Take Heysel for example. Shouldnt our club have said to Eufa that they didnt want us to play there because it was unsafe? Or more importantly why they let our fans go there, knowing quite well it was unfit for purpose and a potential death trap? And after we were banned should they not have done more to challenge the outrageous, uncalled for and unfair decision?
Then theres the Hillsborough disaster. Why didnt LFC refuse to play there knowing quite well that the ground had history of crushing and the ticket allocation was inadequate?
I know this is hindsight but I felt it at the time on both occassions and my point is why we seem to accept what the cu'nts from the FA say without question. On a different but linked point why isnt LFC prosecuting the FA on our behalf for making us play in a ground which was too small and didnt have a safety certificate? I want our club to do more on our behalf and stop accepting things they know to be wrong.
Thommo's perm

Postby The Raven » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 pm

This is a really tough question.

I dont want to think what will happen if its found that LFC knew the risks and didnt act
The Raven

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:23 pm

The Raven » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:18 am wrote:This is a really tough question.

I dont want to think what will happen if its found that LFC knew the risks and didnt act

Shouldnt part of a clubs job be to look after the supporters welfare? Risk assess a venue, see what the grounds like in the interest of supporters health and safety?
Arent we important enough?
Thommo's perm

Postby The Raven » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:23 am wrote:

Shouldnt part of a clubs job be to look after the supporters welfare? Risk assess a venue, see what the grounds like in the interest of supporters health and safety?

Dont get me wrong i agree. I dont think such things where even considered back then. The Fa made its choice and LFC agreed. Was there even something or someone in place to check out the grounds? Probably not.

When you think about it the fact that fans where caged in rings all kinds of alarm bells, at the time it was the norm.
The Raven

Postby heimdall » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 pm

The Raven » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 am wrote:

Dont get me wrong i agree. I dont think such things where even considered back then. The Fa made its choice and LFC agreed. Was there even something or someone in place to check out the grounds? Probably not.

When you think about it the fact that fans where caged in rings all kinds of alarm bells, at the time it was the norm.

I think back then you just followed whatever the FA said, the blame is with the FA rather than the club.
heimdall

Postby supersub » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Peter Robinson made clear his concerns about the venue prior to the 1988 semi final and the 1989 semi final ; both times the fa dismissed his worries that the ground and the ticket allocation was flawed.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Gees Thommo it took Hillsborough to wake the fkrs up. I remember being tossed around like a rag doll on the Kop in my younger days. Gawd knows how many they crammed in for matches against Leed, Everton and United. The atmosphere was fantastic. The craic was brilliant. Safety however was not too good !!! As a result of Hillsborough we now have sterile grounds lacking in atmosphere but they are very safe. The measures taken were too drastic and we should adopt organised standing area in the same way as the Germans. You don't sit down in church to sing a hymn !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:34 pm

supersub » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 pm wrote:Peter Robinson made clear his concerns about the venue prior to the 1988 semi final and the 1989 semi final ; both times the fa dismissed his worries that the ground and the ticket allocation was flawed.

Peter Robinson could not have been overly concerned if he was prepared to let the match go ahead. Voicing concerns is one thing - taking action is a very different matter !!
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:38 pm

supersub » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 pm wrote:Peter Robinson made clear his concerns about the venue prior to the 1988 semi final and the 1989 semi final ; both times the fa dismissed his worries that the ground and the ticket allocation was flawed.

Peter Robinson could not have been overly concerned if he was prepared to let the match go ahead. Voicing concerns is one thing - taking action is a very different matter !!
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Does the Limitation Act 1980 not make it impossible to the fans or club to take legal action?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 pm

listening to the radio this morning they seem to think the F.A`s statement was carefully worded not to include a direct apology for what happened because an apology might be seen as an admission of guilt if it ever went to court.
if the fella on the radio is right then i dont think the F.A are putting too much stock in the limitation act of 1980 (whatever that is anyway)
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Hustler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Are you saying Thommos Perm that we should prosecute the FA now for making us play at a stadium 23 years ago?

LFC were probably aware of the problems at Hillsborough at the time, prior to the Semi-Final.

I reckon a lot of standing terraces at that time were a bit unsafe, and the game has changed so much since then.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:40 pm

The Hustler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:06 pm wrote:Are you saying Thommos Perm that we should prosecute the FA now for making us play at a stadium 23 years ago?

LFC were probably aware of the problems at Hillsborough at the time, prior to the Semi-Final.

I reckon a lot of standing terraces at that time were a bit unsafe, and the game has changed so much since then.

I am asking if the club has any intention of challenging the FA about its role in the disaster, and possibly looking to prosecute them if they knew there wasnt a safety certificate?
Dont forget it wasnt the standing that killed people, it was the crushing against the steel cage that was locked. If the steel fences wouldnt have been there most, if not all would have survived because they would have spilled over on to the pitch.
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:40 pm wrote:
The Hustler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:06 pm wrote:Are you saying Thommos Perm that we should prosecute the FA now for making us play at a stadium 23 years ago?

I am asking if the club has any intention of challenging the FA about its role in the disaster, and possibly looking to prosecute them if they knew there wasnt a safety certificate?
Dont forget it wasnt the standing that killed people, it was the crushing against the steel cage that was locked. If the steel fences wouldnt have been there most, if not all would have survived because they would have spilled over on to the pitch.

i think the government and the relevant authorities are going to look at all that now, pointless the club chipping in at this stage.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:18 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:47 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:40 pm wrote:

i think the government and the relevant authorities are going to look at all that now, pointless the club chipping in at this stage.

At a later stage then?
Thommo's perm

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion