What is a "true liverpool supporter" - Anyone know?.............read on

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:37 am

I wasn't born IN Liverpool itself but in Merseyside (just !) The nearest club to where i grew up was Liverpool or Everton but I can't honestly remember thinking to myself  "I know I'll support Liverpool cos their the closest club to me"

I now live in St Helens which is  rugby town really and I'm excactly 11.2 miles from Anfield but I wil be 600yds closer when the new stadium is built !!!!!! :D

My Wife's just had our first child and when we were asked where we wanted him to be born we immediatly opted for Liverpool Women's for different reasons. The Wife went for it cos it's got a briliant reputation as a leading hospital for baby care and maternity, myself cos if my boy grows up and follows LFC as I hope he does then he will always be able to say he was Made in Merseyside and Born in Liverpoool !!!!!!! :p

I'm NOT a scouser in terms of where i greww up ior the way i speak but I am a Scouser where it matters most ...in my heart :D

"No heart as big as Liverpool"
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1090627431 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:40 am

madred wrote:I wouldnt dispute that out of towners cant be passionate about our football club. But if a out of towner ever said to me that he is more so than me id have to disagree. You just cant share the same passion as someone who was born in the city, brought up in it and probably now works in it. Im sorry its just not possible. The club is representing the people to me. This is not a dig as i think its a great thing that the club is a world wide one also.

Shut up yer scally
72-1090627431

Postby 72-1090627431 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:44 am

stu_the_red wrote:Madred totally agree.

My team is about my city. I love this place, always have, always will.

Said to me mate today how even if i move away this will always be home and if i ever did move away, no matter how much i loved what i'd moved to i'd still look forward to the day i could return here. To me the club is a massive part of this city. I am proud i'm from Liverpool, in my eyes its the greatest city in the world and ALWAYS will be.

......So Ferry cross the mersey, casue this lands the place i love, and here I'll stay.

Eh Stu? thought you were gonna break out in song then.
:angry:
72-1090627431

Postby Dalglish » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:44 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:52 am

thecatsmeow wrote:Bulls**t jim so what your saying is if your job took you away from liverpool you would just like them and not support them

i doubt it but i suppose there is another set of rules..

i hate using this as  an example but look at the hillsborough pages and tell me you cannot be passionate about liverpoolfc if you dont live there

i wasnt referring to you when i said "people who like the team" etc.
i'm not so stupid to think that you cant be a proper supporter if yer not from the city, and i also didnt say that you slagged the city.
i was just tryin to make a distinction between people who feel that with supportin the club represents where they're from, and other fans. dont get me wrong. there's probably fans from outside the city who are more "true" supporters than some in it. but i just cant get me head round how it feels to support a club from a place on the map you feel no connection with.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:16 am

Christened in Birkenhead into a family of Reds (south of the river but it's close), that's the way it was for me. No argument. I recall some of my pals switching to Forest in the late 70's. SWITCHING TEAMS! I'd never heard of such a thing and I certainly to this day can't imagine changing your team. It just doesn't happen.

But how bizarre is this loyalty in an age when every single advert, every choice we make, tempts you into changing your brand : of car, of washing powder; agony columns say change your friends, your partners. But you don't change your team. What a hold Liverpool has over me. But I love it.

I'm one of those fans who doesn't believe my loyalty is proved through stats or through remembering team line ups from certain games. My magic and reminiscing comes through moments of magic - a crackly wireless at two minutes past eight on Radio 2, the commentator saying "Welcome to Sport on 2, I won't tell you the score, I'll let the Kop tell you it".... 12,000 or more voices singing 6-1, 6-1 as we beat Grasshoppers Zurich; watching Tommy Smith head in from the corner v Borussia Munchengladbach - still my favourite game. A Five Live commentator squealing "OOOOOOOHH" as Owen tucks his 2nd v Arsenal in the FA Cup, leaping with madness as Gary and Geli conspire to bring the UEFA CUP to an end. Arriving at Anfield for the ROMA match, hearing 44,000 fans going mad.

It's these up moments that make the frustration worth it, the down moods acceptable, the grumbling short lived. I love my team, I can't wait for the new season, once again, like a kid, all optimistic, unable to wait for the first match to grab yer seat in the Kop.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:52 am

I can understand some of the debate bringing out various views on 'out of towners' etc but nobody has the right to tell me that I cannot love the club as much as somebody else. If liverpool folded tmrw I wouldnt follow football any longer, the only times I have cried over football is Hillsborough and when we lost to Arsenal final game of the season (and maybe when robbie left, rushie went too maybe also). Liverpool have remained a source of sancturary and love throughout the trials and tribulations of my life. Nobody can tell me what it means on the inside to me as each of our individual love for the club manifests itself in unique ways inside each of us.
Through my love of the club, which was first brought to me when my bro started at uni there in the late 80's, I hve learnt about the city , the people (and the awful stereotypes that surround both) I have also taken it upon myself to learn the History of teh city whilst i myself was at Uni. I respect the fans who live there too much to state that I could love the club as much as yourselves but Liverpool are well and truely in my heart always have been always will be. I love its tradition its history what it stands for and most of all I love the fact that no matter where we are in the league or how bad we are playing Liverpool provide a source of inspiration and hope that you would not find at any other club. I feel blessed to be a fan.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:52 am

i must admit i dont go the game, partly due to the fact that my 6 month old son requires my time and money, and also due to the fact that i refuse to to be f***** up the ar** money-wise to prove i love my team, the business aspect of football gets me down.these days i know its necessary but when i read a newspaper column talking about someone's "previously low wage of £ 12,500 a week..."  i have to stop and think and find myself saying "WHAT?"   i dont earn that much in a year,  its sickening. i refuse to fund the capitalist machine that will eventually ruin football. some people will say "i love the club too much t care about that". well that may be true, and you may love the club more than me, but i know my opinion is more valid than those knobheads that sit at every home game slaggin owen or whoever else, and just generally talkin s***.
i could name sum1 on this site to highlight my point entirely, but i think you all know who i mean
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
LFC Super Member

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:58 am

I've read all the above and I don't count myself as a TRUE FAN!!! I very rarely go to games ( cus I'm skint ). I do buy a home and away shirt every time they change and I watch them every time there on sky. I also keep up with all the gossip and have text alerts of all the latest news and results.

For this I would only class myself as a suppoter and not a Fan(atic).
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:02 pm

mynameisred wrote:I can understand some of the debate bringing out various views on 'out of towners' etc but nobody has the right to tell me that I cannot love the club as much as somebody else. If liverpool folded tmrw I wouldnt follow football any longer, the only times I have cried over football is Hillsborough and when we lost to Arsenal final game of the season (and maybe when robbie left, rushie went too maybe also). Liverpool have remained a source of sancturary and love throughout the trials and tribulations of my life. Nobody can tell me what it means on the inside to me as each of our individual love for the club manifests itself in unique ways inside each of us.
Through my love of the club, which was first brought to me when my bro started at uni there in the late 80's, I hve learnt about the city , the people (and the awful stereotypes that surround both) I have also taken it upon myself to learn the History of teh city whilst i myself was at Uni. I respect the fans who live there too much to state that I could love the club as much as yourselves but Liverpool are well and truely in my heart always have been always will be. I love its tradition its history what it stands for and most of all I love the fact that no matter where we are in the league or how bad we are playing Liverpool provide a source of inspiration and hope that you would not find at any other club. I feel blessed to be a fan.

warmed the cockles of my heart that la,

just to re-iterate, i never said if you were not from the city you couldnt be a proper fan, and its posts like yours that prove that. its just i dont know how it feels, cos i personnally associate it with representing me as a member of the city of liverpool (amonsgst other things)
LFC Super Member

Postby DAV » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:10 pm

i havent read all the posts
however i agree with the first post
why shouldn't we critise if we r not happy with somthing
I see STU is not happy with this (slagging u off for having a say) Surprise he didnt question how many games u go to
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:15 pm

jus one more quick post

[quote]Apart from the people who have your I.P.

Your IP can change everytime u connect if your on dial up and an IP can be hidden
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:05 pm

at the end of the day everyone knows in their heart how much of a supporter/fan they are so shouldnt have to prove it or justify it to anyone. we just love LFC :p  :p
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:14 pm

barnesrush wrote:at the end of the day everyone knows in their heart how much of a supporter/fan they are so shouldnt have to prove it or justify it to anyone. we just love LFC :p  :p

I second that :D  :D
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BringBackTiti » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:27 pm

as long as your proud to say your a red it doesnt matter about anthong else in my eyes
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion