We need to talk about our defence...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Why are we so awful at the back?

Throughout this season we’ve been brilliant on the break, yet dreadful in defence and today we’ve leaked 3 goals against a very average team. Quite frankly, it’s diabolical and needs fixing if we’re to make the next step up.

So, what’s the answer?

Well, the loss of Luis Enrique has been huge and we’ve missed his composure at left back. Neither Flanagan or Cissokho are good enough to cover and it’s shown as our centre backs have been pulled out of position to cover mistakes. I think Flanagan will come good (as a squad player, nothing more) but he’s not left footed, which shows when we push him out to cover for our lack of LBs. Basically, we need to buy a class full back who can play both right and left. 

Things haven’t been much better in the middle of the defence either and in the summer we need to ship out one of our centre backs as neither Skrtel or Agger are good enough. Personally, I’d build our defence around Sakho and then bed in another defender with him.

And then there’s Johnson...his form of late has been ok and I rate the lad. However, there’s no way he’s getting another £100k+ a week contract and I’m not convinced he’s going to stay beyond his current deal. Again, in the summer, BR needs to consider his options and decide if he starts looking for a replacement now or waits until Johnson’s deal ends.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Let's just score goals this season and worry about our defense later.

Thank f*ck for Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:17 pm

We have good defenders, not top class ones, but they haven't become sh**t overnight.

They get exposed time and again because of the way we play.  We could have Maldini and Baresi back there and still concede 2-3 per game.  Sometimes the balance is perfect like last week against the scum, sometimes we go a bit overboard like today.  Bottom line is though as long as we're winning lets go with it...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm

It is a concern but so long as we continue scoring more than we concede I couldn't give a fk  :buttrock
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Well I wouldn't give all the credit to our attackers. Maybe most of it but not all. It's not just their quality that helps them score, it's the way that we're playing. Our philosophy is based on attack, attack, attack. Even Skrtel has 6 goals scored this season. If you play like that, it's natural that you'll sometimes concede a lot of goals.

Having said that, our defense has conceded some goals that there's absolutely no excuse for. How often have we seen Agger being asleep or Skrtel losing his concentration or Toure looking like a complete junkie? It's not just the CB's though. More often than not, they don't get enough protection from the fullbacks and the midfielders. Today's second goal was a good example of that. Sure, Agger wasn't good enough on that one but neither was Flanagan nor Allen (and Gerrard for that matter) who didn't bother to cover that huge space that Campbell was allowed to run in to.

To sum up, I agree with the OP, our defense definitely needs improvement, and it's not just the CB's, we need to defend better as a unit and we definitely need a more defensively minded midfielder to help the CB's. But don't expect us defend like Chelsea. People need to be clear on the fact that we'll always leak a few goals since we're playing a very open football.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm

I would also point out that when we need to we can tighten up at the back against the bigger sides....

3-0 v Man U
5-1 v Arsenal
4-0 v Everton
5-0 v Spurs

1 goal conceded in the last 4 games against teams in the top 8 in the league.

I think against teams we're expected to beat Rodgers gives us more license to just attack, knowing that in the end we have the quality to just outscore the opposition.  I'm ok with this.

You won't see us play quite so open against City and Chelsea, but don't be surprised if Sunderland score 3 at Anfield on Wednesday and we still win.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:40 pm

JC_81 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:17 pm wrote:We have good defenders, not top class ones, but they haven't become sh**t overnight.

They get exposed time and again because of the way we play.  We could have Maldini and Baresi back there and still concede 2-3 per game.  Sometimes the balance is perfect like last week against the scum, sometimes we go a bit overboard like today.  Bottom line is though as long as we're winning lets go with it...

No we wouldn't, we are conceding goals because of individual errors not because of the way we play. Players like Maldini, Hyypia, etc... wouldn't have let the 3rd goal today if their positioning was right or if they won the header against Kwenyen Jones.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:41 pm

metalhead » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:40 pm wrote:
JC_81 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:17 pm wrote:We have good defenders, not top class ones, but they haven't become sh**t overnight.

No we wouldn't, we are conceding goals because of individual errors not because of the way we play. Players like Maldini, Hyypia, etc... wouldn't have let the 3rd goal today if their positioning was right or if they won the header against Kwenyen Jones.

Calm down mate....we already have Stu around here to bring us down! :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:42 pm

lol, so excited that we won today  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:44 pm

metalhead » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:42 pm wrote:lol, so excited that we won today  :D

Me too mate!!

My nerves were so shredded that at 2-2 I had to crack open a can of beer to settle them!

Roll on Wednesday.... I'm going to the game so can't wait
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 pm

I agree with those who are concerned about our defence.

We do have the best attack in the league, we've got a very good midfield but our defence is at best that of a mid table team.
So what if we've kept some clean sheets and have given some teams a real spanking. I don't see us thrashing the likes of Chelsea or Man City, I'm not saying we can't beat them but teams of their quality will give our defence a much tougher test than others we've faced and their defence won't be as easy to pierce .

Assuming we qualify for the CL if we're to make any significant progress in that competition as well as maintaining our domestic revival next season our defence has simply got to be improved, to ignore it would be foolish, bordering on the criminal.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:18 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:31 am wrote:Assuming we qualify for the CL if we're to make any significant progress in that competition as well as maintaining our domestic revival next season our defence has simply got to be improved, to ignore it would be foolish, bordering on the criminal.

It's the CL games next season that worries me most about our defence. In those type of games you will get a handful of chances to score and any mistakes at the back will mean the difference between winning and losing.

If it was down to me, I'd ship out Agger and bring in Luke Shaw and Steven Caulker. Both are talented players and both would improve our back 4.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:23 am

7_Kewell » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:18 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:31 am wrote:Assuming we qualify for the CL if we're to make any significant progress in that competition as well as maintaining our domestic revival next season our defence has simply got to be improved, to ignore it would be foolish, bordering on the criminal.

It's the CL games next season that worries me most about our defence. In those type of games you will get a handful of chances to score and any mistakes at the back will mean the difference between winning and losing.

If it was down to me, I'd ship out Agger and bring in Luke Shaw and Steven Caulker. Both are talented players and both would improve our back 4.

i dont know abt caulker being a upgrade over agger, did he just mis-headed the ball for suarez to run away and square to sturridge to score?
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 am

I'm hopeful Sahko can step up. He shown signs of promise before his injury and his use of the ball was excellent (barring 10 minutes of madness against City).

Enrique is more than good enough and while I don't think Flannagan is ever going to be a top player, he's certainly more than capable as back up/3rd choice full back for the next 8 or 9 years at least. For me, its the back up centre half, first choice centre half and right back that are major worries. Johnson actually played well in the last two games, but to be honest, the previous dross he's served up over the years has proven him to be nowhere good enough.

Agger is far to injury prone and Skrtel is a complete liability who has far to many shockers and struggles against good sides.

The keeper also doesn't help the situation.

Our main priorities in the summer must be a centre half, goalkeeper, right back, a central midfielder who can tackle and pass and take a touch and a winger/forward.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:26 pm

I think if you put Skrtel in any team that utilizes a more rigid back four then he would become  a monster ,the fact he is having to defend the flanks that
are left uncontrolled and exposed when fullbacks go missing( Johnson being public enemy No.1) would have a marked effect on any defenders  game.

As for Sakho I think he has the air of a commanding CB ,and the sooner we pair him up with a quality partner( perhaps Ilori ) the more we introduce a solidity
that comes with knowing each others strengths and weaknesses.

I believe we need to replace Johnson with young Flanno ,as I think he has grown as a defender whilst producing performances of real maturity,and I would
love us to sign Siqueira for the LB berth who can battle it out with Enrique for a starting spot.......

In summation I would conclude that the expansive football we're currently playing in affording our fullbacks to get forward is exposing our two CB's to a great
deal of pressure from both flanks,so we need to find a balance next season that suits us both defensively and offensively.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion