Wake up rafa - Fine line between faith and reality .

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:15 pm

Ciggy wrote:
0asis wrote:I'd rather we had kept Milan Baros. I'll tell youse what he's a striker that with the right service can bang the goals in. Sure he ran around like a headless chicken 'n' he didn't score for something like 18 games but he looked our best striker in pre-season.

Plus he had pace something the others are lacking in abundance  :kungfu:

hey lynds,
glad u have finally joined the baros sympatisers brigade....  :D

seriously......i was one of the few here who said selling baros (even more so for only 6 million) was a bad mistake... and that he was one of the main reasons why we won the champions league (just look at the number of times he was involved in creation of goals in the champions league matches).....

We never really replaced him and that is why we are lacking a cutting edge in our attack.

I do think that Baros & Cisse combo might have been awesome...(Baros' direct running can create a lot of space for Cisse to exploit) but that's just my opinion.....Heck...Baros & Crouch combo would have been interesting too...

I will stop here...Cos i am pretty sure all the baros bashers (Stu, AB)...will come out with all guns blazing..... :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:29 pm

There's no question that Baros if he was still here would get a game for us right now. Does he offer more than Morientes? see if you can guess what I think there. I'm not a stats man but as a guess I would think that his goals per minutes on the pitch ratio is similar or better than our guys (not including penalties) and call me biased, but I think we are a better team than Aston Villa. Would he have offered more away to Benfica? You know what, I think he would.

All that said, Baros is not and never was the answer. He too lacks that split second football intelligence and anticipation of a top goal getter, along with the coolness of head required to consistently take chances. Neither is he in posession of that sublime talent which allows the holder the key to unlock the door to the tightest defences, nor the appreciation of the game overall which would make him a cunning and able foil for a partner striker. Like Cisse and a three year old kid, he plays the game essentially by himself and if anyone else joins in they play alongside him rather than with him.

The answers if we are going to stick with Crouch (and once again I think we should) are firstly to find a foil for the big man, and given rafa's liking for La Liga then David Villa or whisper it quietly Diego Forlan would appear to fit the bill. My feeling is that we also need a striker who can fill in for either player and you are probably going to have to go for somebody British based. They've all been debated at length and require bottomless pockets though.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:37 pm

I heard rumours of Jermain Defoe coming in a straight swap for Djibril Cisse in the summer. I doubt it's true but it would a great move by Benitez if we could capture his signature. My big worry with signing British talent is the price that clubs ask for them, I can't see Spurs letting us have him for less than £15million, which is an obsurd amount of money to pay for a player who has won nothing and achieved nothing in his career so far.

I admit Baros isn't the best striker in the world but he would be better than what we have now, I even think Dave Kitson (Reading) & Lee Trundle would be better than what we have now.
48-1119859832

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:41 pm

Baros was Our best striker last season i think everyone will and should agree with that he hasnt being to badly with villa and good luck to him I think this season cisse hasnt be to bad people get on his back if he misses a few rightly so and the same for morientes so what i think these 2 strikers need a bit off is confidence and thats what crouch was like he needed confidence and when he got it he has turned into a right superstar If i was given the chance off baros or cisse i think i would have to choose

cisse  :D   kept the suspence there

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:50 pm

Richard,

Morientes needs more than confidence, he needs a mircale at the moment. People are getting on his back for not scoring enough goals. I'm getting on his back for not using his weight when he goes for the ball. He cannot handle physical presence and I think that's what's stopping him becoming a good Premiership player. Altho I have to admit he looks a hell of a lot better than what he did a year ago.

Last Feb he looked uninterested, tired, too slow on the ball, couldn't get into any space and his link up play wasn't very good either, but he has come along nicely, he releases the ball from his feet quickly, he is trying his hardest to make things happen, he trackback and he tackles. I think the only thing that is stopping Morientes doing well here, is his lack of aggression on the ball. Even Gary Neville can push Moro off the ball.

I'd rather have Baros in all honesty, his work ethic is sublime, where as Cisse's can sometimes be questioned altho we can't really bring things like that into account considering he probably only played 24 hours worth of football for us this season.
48-1119859832

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:53 pm

bigmick wrote:The answers if we are going to stick with Crouch (and once again I think we should) are firstly to find a foil for the big man, and given rafa's liking for La Liga then David Villa or whisper it quietly Diego Forlan would appear to fit the bill. My feeling is that we also need a striker who can fill in for either player and you are probably going to have to go for somebody British based. They've all been debated at length and require bottomless pockets though.

My take.......

We look like a weaker team with crouch in the side.... I am not sure if it is crouch's fault or the way the team plays with him in the team, but if our attacking strategy only involves hitting long balls from defence for crouch to knock-down to on-rushing midfielders to score...it looks pretty one dimensional to me....

Crouch has the height and good 1st touch, but he doesn't have upper body strength or the aggression needed to be a "top" target man... Kevin Davis & Mido....Now that's what i call target man....I would rate them better than crouch.

If it is up to me,

-i will only keep fowler...(sell cisse, morientes & crouch)

-bring back pongolle & mellor from loan (pongolle to be our super sub & mellor to be our back up striker. Lets face it, he does score goals.).

-Buy Owen back at all cost from newcastle

-Go for David Villa or Darren Bent .

Owen & Villa strike force will be world class.....
Last edited by The_Rock on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:09 pm

The_Rock wrote:-i will only keep fowler...(sell cisse, morientes & crouch)

-bring back pongolle & mellor from loan (pongolle to be our super sub & mellor to be our back up striker. Lets face it, he does score goals.).

Sell crouch ? hes 1st season here he had people on his back calling him a freak but has dealt with it hasnt scored too many but still

Newcastle wont sell owen and if they do not for a price without giving themselves some kind of profit and we dot have that kind of money and the money if we do sell cisse and morientes wont componsate for this

bent cant see him leaving charlton and villa r u of your head

i think this topic should be changed to Wake up the rock

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:15 pm

RichardLFC1 wrote:
The_Rock wrote:-i will only keep fowler...(sell cisse, morientes & crouch)

Sell crouch ? hes 1st season here he had people on his back calling him a freak but has dealt with it hasnt scored too many but still

Newcastle wont sell owen and if they do not for a price without giving themselves some kind of profit and we dot have that kind of money and the money if we do sell cisse and morientes wont componsate for this

bent cant see him leaving charlton and villa r u of your head

i think this topic should be changed to Wake up the rock

Finally see one punctuation from u ...."?"...

Now if only u can put full stops & commas at the right places, your replies would be more readable.....

Until then, don't bother to get into a flame war with me....
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:19 pm

The_Rock wrote:Finally see one punctuation from u ...."?"...

Now if only u can put full stops & commas at the right places, your replies would be more readable.....

I may not put punctuation, but u saying u cant read it

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:23 pm

RichardLFC1 wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Finally see one punctuation from u ...."?"...

I may not put punctuation, but u saying u cant read it

now....all u need to do is put a fullstop ............ ie..... "."
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:52 pm

RichardLFC1 wrote:I may not put punctuation, but u saying u cant read it

Without wanting to turn this into a masterclass of the English language Richard the problem with people who dont use punctuation be they full stops commas or even on occasions exclamation marks is that roughly half way through a sentence you just cant be bothered to read its actual content and furthermore just lose the will to live (see what I mean).

Now, this is OK if the person only intends to post absolute drivel. Having read a couple of your posts however, you do make some good points. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but I would like at least to be able to see what you are on about.

Writing is little like sliding a throughball to a striker in full flow. Ideally you want to make it easy for him to recieve the pass, a little bit of checkspin bringing it perfectly into his stride so he hasn't even got to take a touch before hitting it. To run with this analogy, your through balls are bouncing and bobbling with sidespin and are a little behind our onrushing frontman. He'll probably fall erse over tit trying to control the thing never mind getting a shot away.

No offence and all that mate, but it's worth bearing in mind.  :)
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:00 pm

Let's not get into who shouldn't have been sold, and who we should by.

We are where we are, and we've got a lot to play for before we can start buying new strikers. Let's talk about who's on the books, and both who and how they should play.
ivor_the_injun

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:02 pm

Jeez Ivor I've done about 50 posts in the last few days. Who should play, who shouldn't. How they should play, where they should run, how they should attack the ball, getting themselves open in the box. Sorry though for answering a question about Baros :(  :D
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:08 pm

-I don’t really think that Mellor and Pongolle would have done much better than what we have. I think Rafa would have realised by now that our strike force isn’t good enough, but it can’t be remedied right now.
-Rafa is defiantly a defensive coach first and for most. If you want more goals and have the absolute ability to batter teams when they sit back then you have to forgo some of the defensive qualities we have. But I think maybe your exaggerating because I have seen us beat teams who have come to sit back plenty of times.
-I don’t see an ‘answer’ within the club, but we defiantly can do better. Is the best thing to pick 2 and stick by them? Or should Rafa mix and match according to the opposition and situation? I don’t really know.
-I think it is time that Morientes went down in the pecking order, I know that Rafa spent 6 Mil on him and he is a personal fan, but he mustn’t let his personal feeling and pride get in the way of results.
-My feeling is that the Crouch/Fowler or Crouch/Garcia combos are the best we have.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:37 pm

I don't get why so many people are praising a potential Mellor 'n' Pongo partnership. I mean neither of these players houses much experience and certainly no where near as much as Morientes, Crouch, Fowler and Cisse. Altho you could argue differently.

I also find it hard to believe that some ppl want to hand two inexperienced youngsters our Champions League, FA Cup and League aspirations.

I'm actually supportive of Rafa's decision to loan out both Mellor & Pongo. I think it's better to give your youngsters some experience at clubs with low aspirations, therefore not putting too much pressure on them too soon. I'd rather have Pongo playing at Blackburn n gaining experience there then playing in a team with a lot of aspirations.
48-1119859832

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion