Wake up rafa - Fine line between faith and reality .

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:09 pm

What you have to remember is Benitez is slowly making us into the Valencia of a few years ago and even their strikers didn't really produce only Mista in 2003/04 when they won the UEFA Cup. Benitez's style usually means it's the midfield that score the majority of the goals.

However I do share your concerns with our strikers but I suppose any one who thought Morientes was a prolific striker really didn't do there homework on the guy. If you look at his record he hasn't really scored a lot of goals and I think maybe one season where he scored 19 for Real Madrid and that was that. Same with Peter Crouch he isn't profilic either. He's probably scored less goals than Kevin Phiillips. Cisse is our only real prolific striker, yet he is hardly played and when he doesn't look like he knows what he's doing, he just runs aimlessly with the ball and blasts the ball instead of placing it, which is probably why he hasn't made an impact.

I think youre being a bit too harsh on Garcia, he tends to get stuck in now into challenges, chasing balls, which he didn't do like a year ago. his ability to keep and then distribute it needs to be worked on but if he can that sorted out then he will be a real assest to us in the future.
48-1119859832

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:09 pm

TBF Mike we aren't in the pub we are on a forum, and a moan is Ok. It's hardly going to damage the confidence of the players unless they log on, so all this get behind the team stuff is all a bit stalinist for my liking, we are allowed to think bad things when all said and done.
I think to say it didn't deserve a new thread is probably fair enough but in all honesty Woofer is hardly a serial spammer so no harm done if you ask me.
FWIW if Woofa thinks Rafa is at fault and is criticising the man then I think he is calling in wrong but he is entitled to do it. Similarly, those like yourself who feel that it's simply that we aren't creating chances are IMHO wide of the mark aswell but there you go.
Loyalty isn't the issue here, it's just knockabout football banter and opinions.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:10 pm

Mellor ???

I have my doubts over him,cant see him ever getting into the first team unless he proves his worth at Wigan
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:13 pm

FWIW if Woofa thinks Rafa is at fault and is criticising the man then I think he is calling in wrong but he is entitled to do it. Similarly, those like yourself who feel that it's simply that we aren't creating chances are IMHO wide of the mark aswell but there you go.

True, but I don't know why we all tend to focus something so complex as football in some certain scape goats, probably it's a sum up of many reasons, the "blip" we're having.

And I put the quotes because we come from beating Arsenal and Manchester united.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:16 pm

Sabre wrote:Shall you give me more footy arguements, rather than cheap literature?. ??? If you dare to say Rafa doesn't get it and you have another fecking opinion, expose it properly, just like bigmick does. If not, at least be ready to read different opinions.

Thank you.

Footy arguement .
Morientes  . Primary role STRiKER .
.                Games        48 +
.                Goals          9

Is that good enough ?

quote"If you dare to say Rafa doesn't get it and you have another fecking opinion, expose it properly,"

Thought I already had .but just in case you failed to understand my perspective .

Defensively Rafa is king of the hill , he's organised a team that can handle virtually anything thats thrown at it, keeping solid and looking to take advantage of the oppositions mistakest BUT when it comes to taking a game by the scruff of the neck when we are clearly in control the personnel and or tactics employed just don't cut it .

quote "dare to say Rafa doesn't get it" 

Well ,Rafa's been through a few transfer windows ,admittedly he has perhaps  been concentrating on other things but our goal return form our strike force is the poorest I can remember  and I've been following LFC for almost 50 years .

quote "be ready to read different opinions. ........thankyou "

Like I said , been following LFC for almost 50 years , read them all Sabre , No need to "thank" me .  Just as there's no need for me to tell you to  "f'uck off "   but perhaps you'll accept that as my equally sincere response to your thin veneer of civility .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:17 pm

Like I said , been following LFC for almost 50 years , read them all Sabre , No need to "thank" me .  Just as there's no need for me to tell you to  "f'uck off "   but perhaps you'll accept that as my equally sincere response to your thin veneer of civility .

Of course I do. And see if I care. :)

Where are the numbers to back your Mellor suggestion?

(And I have big respect for you lot, so please, let's discuss footy only, no need to feck offs and get grips, *please*)
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:24 pm

redmikey wrote:woofy  Everyone is frustrated at controlling games and not smashing teams to bits

none of this helps anyone, and if you were in the pub i would tell you to stop moanin, we are all as footy fan entiltle to a good moan but the same subject over and over gets boring
:p

:D

Alright Mkey , and I'd tell you to get another round in 'cause it's your shout and lets just pretend that there's nothing wrong with our squad .We'll win everything next season .

:D   :D   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby davo_LFC » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:27 pm

tbh i think rafa is perfectly aware of the situation regarding the strikers and he will address that in the summer if he gets the right funds, mellor hasn't played for a year because of the double knee operation so i think he was right to go on loan to get his fitness up to scratch. Pongolles loan move is slightly more baffling but i figure that flo loves the club and the fans but he wants regular football and he just wasnt going to get that at this present moment in time. Now i think flo has plenty of potential but am not sure if he will be with us for too much longer sadly :( On the creating chances issue, I think thats just part of our bad form resulting from the defeat at man usa, chelski and charlton. Then at wigan we played bad but got the result which gave us confidence to dominate arsenal create quite a few chances, the man usa fa cup game was as always generally a tight game with us creating a few chances, perhaps that took a lot out of the lads so consequently we were a bit lacklustre at benfica. Am sure against city we will see us creating loads of chances and scoring a few goals...hopefully

at the moment am not too concerned because we are still doing well in the league, still in CL, and still in the FA cup. We cant play out of our skin all season but perhaps there lies the difference between us and chelski, even when they play bad they grind the results, currently were are not ruthless enough but am sure rafa is as frustrated as the rest of us at this and he will make it right, he just needs a little bit more time...lets not forget hes transformed a pi,ss poor squad into a pretty good one with just one or two areas needing improving, all in the space of 18 months.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:40 pm

Sabre wrote:Where are the numbers to back your Mellor suggestion?

Sabre , do I sound like a statiscian to you ?

How can I give stats on Nando v Mellor or Pongo when they have have played f'uck all footy ?

What I am saying is that Morientes has certainly had sufficient opportunity and it's just not happening (it's not personal , I think the fella has great ability but for how long do you bet on a losing number ? As Shanks once said when being told about a prospective signings talent  "Forget what he can do with a ball son , Is he lucky ? ! . ). Rafa hasn't brought in any   goal scoring machine ( :D ) to rectify the problem in which case in his shoes I would have looked at my options and given Pongo or Mellor a bit of a go and not farmed them out on loan . Rafa often mentions the word "options"  surely releasing those two actually narrowed our options ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:47 pm

Mellor IMHO isn't and never will be anywhere near good enough. If we can get money for him in the Summer then take it. Pongo I'm not so sure about. At least he does posess intellience and poses a goal threat so I would've kept him and loaned out Morientes.
The combinations haven't really been tried yet and nor will they be while we insist on playing Morientes every game. Lets try Cisse/Crouch again, or Crouch/Fowler. Lets try something which doesn't include Morientes. Please.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:50 pm

Sabre , do I sound like a statiscian to you ?

How can I give stats on Nando v Mellor or Pongo when they have have played f'uck all footy ?

Precisely. Your topic description is "fine line between faith and reality", and I think that putting to play Mellor who hasn't played f'uck all footy, is in the realms of faith, more than the realms of reality. That's all! We're playing at the top level here, Champions League, F.A quarter of finals, fighting second place on the EPL, not bad for LFC's standards last 10 years.

Mellor IMHO isn't and never will be anywhere near good enough. If we can get money for him in the Summer then take it. Pongo I'm not so sure about. At least he does posess intellience and poses a goal threat so I would've kept him and loaned out Morientes.
The combinations haven't really been tried yet and nor will they be while we insist on playing Morientes every game. Lets try Cisse/Crouch  Crouch /Fowler

I agree, this combination (specially the latter) should be tested. And given some games to prove it right or wrong.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:54 pm

bigmick wrote:I think to say it didn't deserve a new thread is probably fair enough but in all honesty Woofer is hardly a serial spammer so no harm done if you ask me.

:laugh:    :laugh:   :laugh:

In the word of the great catherine tate

"Worra a f'ucking liberty "

Two and a half years logging  in every f'ucking day and I still can't pick up a yellow card , even the linesman won't flag me .    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:58 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
bigmick wrote:I think to say it didn't deserve a new thread is probably fair enough but in all honesty Woofer is hardly a serial spammer so no harm done if you ask me.

:laugh:    :laugh:   :laugh:

In the word of the great catherine tate

"Worra a f'ucking liberty "

Two and a half years logging  in every f'ucking day and I still can't pick up a yellow card , even the linesman won't flag me .    :D

:D made me laugh out loud Woofa. Gotta say, fair play to sabes for standing up to you aswell. Some good lines in this thread, "thin veneer of civility" was brutal but well fielded by our man in Spain. Well done the both of you.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hotrod » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:59 pm

You guys all make really valid points. However I think that our strikeforce really is not as bad as everyone is saying. I mean morintes does look like a man without any confidance what so ever. But if you look at the rest

Crouch- as many have said not brought to LFC to score goals, but does create alot and will find the back of the net on some occansions

Cisse- Understand everyone's frustraions with this player but i really think he can be great. I dont think you can call him a whiner and moaner i just think its the way those french people are i mean look at Herny he does the same thing. If he can learn to control a ball better and not just swing his foot at it he can do well and if played regularly he will score goals i think he cud score 1 in every 2 games if given the chance to play regularly which does not fit into rafa's system.

Fowler-We all know about his skill and his ability, and wow the guy has an amazing first touch but we all expected to much from him way too soon he will score goals for us but no were near the rate he used to beacuse the way we play does'nt suite him as much. But he will score a few goals before the end of the season and will proberly get his new contract them.

Morintes- Again has skill. Proberly the worst of all our strikers at the moument. I think nando suffers from playing with crouch beacuse they are such similar players and in their case the paternership clearly does not work. I think he is also not adapt to the premiership as we all can see clearly has a confidance problem and unless of a dramatic upturn in form will leave at the end of the season.

Mellor-Has some skill but very limited plays with his back to goal, and does know how to finsh and were the goal is but cannot run and not particularly intelligent

Pongolle-Great player will learn alot from the physical Blackburn rovers team beef him up a bit. Has bags of potential and pace and really inproved over the last two years. Pasing could use some work but his finshing and his running are top-class and can be a hit in the future playing off Crouch

Also i belive with Gerrard moving back into the centre he willl have the time to pick out more passes to the front men, and as soon as Xabi gets back to his top form which i dont think he has been on for a while I can honestly see our front men gettin more goals.
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby Sabre » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:03 pm

made me laugh out loud Woofa. Gotta say, fair play to sabes for standing up to you aswell. Some good lines in this thread, "thin veneer of civility"

I'll look what veneer means in the dic later :D I guess what it is from the context, but to be honest, I don't think it's relevant, it's just that in forums sometimes the temperature increases. No prob woof woof mate!

Edited I get  the veneer thing now, he meant that I was hiding something unpleasant after a cover of civility, well, I must admit that sometimes I do so, but it's not to hide, but not be too harsh!. BTW, I do know some little details about some of you, but I didn't know the 50 years supporting Liverpool of Woof Woof, I thought he was young like me. ONly for that, he deserved more respect, and it's not veneer of civility or praise, this one, but what I think  :)
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion