Uefa out to trim foreign imports

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:17 pm

uefa or fifa should leave football as it is. It seems that they keep making changes so that people know they are in control.

First of all the transfer regulations. I mean they can by all means restrict transfer of players between countries. But who are they to restrict transfer of players within the english league ? Look at the situation we are in because of that.

And now this.

Why don't they just improve the officiating aspect of the game first. The refs i have seen in the euro championship and now in the premiership suck big time.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:33 pm

Green red is right, you cannot descriminate in employment against an EU worker because of their nationality, that is the whole point of the EU.

International football is different, probably because you are not employed by them (I am bluffing a bit here)

But only 1 non EU player would be a good start and keep out cheap African players.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:02 pm

Big Niall wrote:Green red is right, you cannot descriminate in employment against an EU worker because of their nationality, that is the whole point of the EU.

International football is different, probably because you are not employed by them (I am bluffing a bit here)

But only 1 non EU player would be a good start and keep out cheap African players.

the thing is that International football is not different but it just has never come up , if a player did take them to the EU court about it then we would only then see how they stand on the law as it would be a teast case.

anyway we will just have to see what uefa do next.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:19 pm

International football is totally different Lakes as the players arent under contract to their national associations.They can walk away any time they like as there is no contract involved.Players are invited to play for their countries on a match by match basis.Also im pretty sure the effects of any change in the eligibility laws have been looked at in detail by lawyers.The european commision and courts would not even attempt to bring about law changes that would destroy international football overnight.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:52 pm

i dont know descrimination is descrimination if a player say they are being stopped  from playing for a team due to where they were born it dont matter if its just normal football or International football it would still be coverd by the same laws.
the fact that it has never happend is just a matter of time.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:43 pm

The words "Bangn' and Brick Wall " spring to mind  :D

In your own words "We'll have to wait and see"
Right now my head hurts  :D  :D  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:The words "Bangn' and Brick Wall " spring to mind  :D

In your own words "We'll have to wait and see"
Right now my head hurts  :D  :D  :D

pmsl sorry
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:47 am

from soccernet.com

Uefa can't agree foreign players quota

NYON, Switzerland, Dec 16 (Reuters) - UEFA's Executive Committee failed to reach a decision on Thursday over a controversial proposal to introduce quotas on the number of home-grown players in club squads.
Speaking at a media conference, UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson said he expected a decision to be taken at the committee's next meeting on February 3.

'We are still in the process of discussing the proposal and there are still some open issues,' Olsson said following two days of talks at UEFA's headquarters.

'We still have to finalise the exact number of players that we're talking about and come up with a precise definition of what we mean by home-grown players.'

The proposal calls for limited first team squads of 25 players, up to eight of whom must have come through the club's youth ranks or possibly through another youth programme within the same country.

Olsson said UEFA planned to hold more talks with the European Union and individual leagues and clubs to minimise any potential legal challenges over national discrimination.

'I think there will be a legal challenge, which is why it's important to get consensus now,' Olsson said. 'We'll be looking to convince people though that this issue is a speciality in sport - a purely sporting rule.'

Any decision agreed in February would have to go before the UEFA Congress in Tallinn, Estonia, on April 21.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:49 am

If a european super league did ever form, i would be thoroughly disappointed - it would be the death of football, only the super clubs would survive and the little clubs would lsoe fans and ultimately fail to exist.

It's fine as it is now with leagues and European football.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:55 am

This sounds right for UEFA and Sepp Blatter.

It will never stand up in the European courts though, its tattermount to racism.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:12 pm

Its simple really.

Free movement of workers is one of the fundamental freedoms in the EU treaties, its sacroscant.

Footballers=workers.

Therefore you cannot discriminate or put in any kind of quota or impediment of any formal nature in their way.

The only way possible is for UEFA to do a deal with the EU Commission, but that could be challenged in the European Court of Justice by a disgruntled footballer. A treaty change might make it legal, but there's no way that would ever happen, for countless reasons.

Football has to face the reality that it cannot interfere in this area. There could be some good in limiting imports, but there is no way it would ever be tolerated at EU level.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:15 pm

lakes10 wrote:i dont know descrimination is descrimination if a player say they are being stopped  from playing for a team due to where they were born it dont matter if its just normal football or International football it would still be coverd by the same laws.
the fact that it has never happend is just a matter of time.

South American countries might have a problem playing a european team packed full of star foreigners.So it would be bye bye to the world cup for a start.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion