Transfer windows.................. - Wot is the point?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 72-1090627431 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:52 pm

I was just thinking that we need a another striker or two (or maybe 3!!) another defender and maybe a midfielder, wingers etc, but i can't understand the logic behind transfer windows.

We cant buy anyone now until Jan or when ever it opens, or offload anyone else, for ...no apparent reason!

does anyone actually know what the point is of the transfer window system? As far as I am aware , it only applies to the premierleague and not the lower leagues, who can buy all year round!

Its pathetic really, if your gonna buy someone, your gonna buy them anyway, whether its in January, march, april may or august! does it really matter.

The only thing it does actually do is restrict a clubs cashflow, who cant buy or sell any players except when the FA say so.

David moyes for example at Everton, sold rooney the looney, and he cant touch the cash till Jan!
I just think its hindering Rafa at this moment in time as there are still changes im sure he'd like to make.

Silly rule if u ask me.  ???
72-1090627431

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:00 pm

what i will say is that if you're not allowed to buy or sell players who are under contract during the transfer window, you shouldn't be allowed to sack you're manager during this period either. getting rid of a manager after four games is laughable.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:01 pm

Good question , but like you I have no idea as to why the transfer window was installed , hopefully some double glazing salesman out there will enlighten us. :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:05 pm

stmichael wrote:what i will say is that if you're not allowed to buy or sell players who are under contract during the transfer window, you shouldn't be allowed to sack you're manager during this period either. getting rid of a manager after four games is laughable.

Slightly different angle there St Mick , you can terminate (sack) a manager or players contract. Wages for the full term of the contract are usually paid in full , depending on the reason for the sacking. Thats why few managers actually resign as they could forfeit the "pay off" .
A sacked player or manager is out of contract and can sign for another club.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 72-1090627431 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:05 pm

No, i bet Stu the Red will have the answer! :p
72-1090627431

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:20 pm

He may know the reason ,I don't know if that means he agrees with it.
Lets not kick off before the whistle Hustler.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:24 pm

The transfer window was put in place to give the agents more chance to count their money before they refilled their greedy little hands again.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby the great one » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:25 pm

''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:41 pm

the whole transfer market in general has been completely f#cked up ever since the bosman ruling came into play. in my opinion, that was the worst thing ever to happen to football. in an age where player power is at it's peak, the last thing clubs need is a ruling whereby players can simply sit out their contracts if they don't want to play for them. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:01 pm

Well those are the rules BUT what are the reasons ? or did I miss something ?  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:30 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Good question , but like you I have no idea as to why the transfer window was installed , hopefully some double glazing salesman out there will enlighten us. :)

lol :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby L-type » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:47 am

I think the last person who found out the point of transfer windows ended up trapped in that basement of that 7-11
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cptrios » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:37 am

the only obvious benefit of the transfer window is that smaller clubs will be able to keep their players who turn out well over the course of the season...but having it reopen in january sort of defeats that purpose entirely.  in american sports there's a trade deadline, i.e. after a certain point in the season you can't make any more trades (duh).  but what happens there is that all of the trades happen within the week before the deadline.  i really don't think that either system is much more than a way to make the game more challenging...or ****** annoying.
cptrios

Postby the great one » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:45 am

an article from the bbc Mawhinney sounds warning
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:06 am

It’s apparently not only us questioning the points in transfer window system. There have also been some massive disagreements aimed at FIFA over this system particularly by English and Scottish Football Leagues. It is believed that this system will place a severe financial burden on smaller clubs, who are struggling to make ends meet as it is. There will be major problems if players run into injuries and suspensions between August and January, when they are not allowed to sign replacement players. They will and hope their players steer clear of injuries and suspensions and there is a concern that some clubs will find themselves in the situation of being unable to fulfill their fixtures.

English football believes the rules should only apply to international moves and that transfers between clubs from the same country should not be restricted.

Not having transfer windows domestically would benefit the national game because Premier League clubs would be able to buy new players only from the Football League, helping money filter down to smaller clubs. Clubs are no longer able to sell players when they need to avert the threat of financial disaster, other than during the two transfer windows.

The £5m sale of Jermaine Jenas to Newcastle in February kept Nottingham Forest afloat but they will not be able to do such a deal this season.

These challenges were expected to be responded in an immediate effect as if having to wait until FIFA address this issue this may be too late for a club to survive.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion