Torres on Liverpool- portrayed as traitor

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 am

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -liverpool

I don't understand where his coming from. He wanted out after 09. His performances decreased and his body language told it all.
Im sure the club sold him because he wanted to leave. Why would they do dealings behind his back.
I find this very odd.
Funny how we almost won the prem after few years of his departure.
Last edited by redshade on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:49 am

redshade » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 am wrote:http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10540258/fernando-torres-feels-he-was-unfairly-portrayed-as-a-traitor-by-liverpool

I don't understand where his coming from. He wanted out after 09. His performances decreased and his body language told it all.

That link didn't work for me

maybe this one will http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... t-11757393

On what Torres has to say. It doesn't gel with stuff he's said previously e.g "Gerrard told me to leave Liverpool" and after he was invited to be part of Gerrards team for a charity gig banged on about well received he was by the Anfield crowd.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:50 am

I got one from skysports.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:53 am

redshade » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:38 am wrote:http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10540258/fernando-torres-feels-he-was-unfairly-portrayed-as-a-traitor-by-liverpool

Im sure the club sold him because he wanted to leave. Why would they do dealings behind his back.
I find this very odd.
Funny how we almost won the prem after few years of his departure.

I know exactly where e's coming from - he failed at Chelsea and needs to salvage whatever legacy he has in England. If he didn't fail at Chelsea we'd be hearing none of this

The bottom line is, when we needed him most, he bailed. I don't have a massive problem with his desire to play his trade elsewhere, but to them(!)

Unforgivable

I can't help but think how he and Luis would have got on tho
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 am

Torres and Suarez are both as bad as one another. Neither cared much for LFC and both played for themselves.  Given the chance, Suarez would have gone to Arsenal...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:48 am

Let's just keep this simple.
F&%K TORRES!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:24 pm

To be fair you couldn't blame Torres for bailing, for about 2 or 3 years this club was an absolute mess, he actually stuck with us through the darkest days (when we were hours away from going under) which is often forgotten and I can see why at 27 he wasn't keen on FSG's idea of finding value in the market and developing youth.
Him deciding to go to Chelsea was a kick in the teeth though, got to admit that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:27 pm

7_Kewell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 am wrote:Torres and Suarez are both as bad as one another. Neither cared much for LFC and both played for themselves.  Given the chance, Suarez would have gone to Arsenal...

and on another day Gerrard may have gone to Chelsea...

The difference between the two is night and day. Suarez put his head down and got on with it. Any desire to leave was never reflected in his performances imo. In hindsight Suarez was absolutely right to stay and made the right move for his career and personal life in the end and for that he holds a strong bond with this club. I don't half miss him sometimes, Torres on the other hand...
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:43 pm

Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:27 am wrote:
7_Kewell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 am wrote:Torres and Suarez are both as bad as one another. Neither cared much for LFC and both played for themselves.  Given the chance, Suarez would have gone to Arsenal...

The difference between the two is night and day. Suarez put his head down and got on with it. Any desire to leave was never reflected in his performances imo. In hindsight Suarez was absolutely right to stay and made the right move for his career and personal life in the end and for that he holds a strong bond with this club. I don't half miss him sometimes

Suarez stayed an extra season. Then he put his head down and took a lump out of a defender to force his move.

On a personal level, I don't think Suarez is any better. He was angling for a move after just 2 full seasons (Torres was here for 5) and that came on the back of his racism sh!te that dragged our club and King Kenny's name through the mud. Within months of us standing by him he's on telly saying he wants to go to Arsenal.  :no

Suarez isn't a club legend in my eyes. He's just a brilliant footballer who used us to get what he wanted.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:43 pm

The difference between the two is night and day. Suarez put his head down and got on with it. Any desire to leave was never reflected in his performances imo. In hindsight Suarez was absolutely right to stay and made the right move for his career and personal life in the end and for that he holds a strong bond with this club. I don't half miss him sometimes

Suarez didn't decide to stay though, he was kept here against his wishes and responded by basically calling everyone at the club liars on Uruguayan radio. Remember the gob on him in Melbourne?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:50 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:43 am wrote:

Suarez didn't decide to stay though, he was kept here against his wishes and responded by basically calling everyone at the club liars on Uruguayan radio. Remember the gob on him in Melbourne?

Maybe not but a desire to leave never translated onto the pitch, unlike most modern professionals. He did later on say that It was a word with Gerrard that convinced him to stay didn't he? (I'm fully aware he may have went to Arsenal if the correct offer and everything fell into place) Despite all of that I would say his bond with us is firmly in tact. He's no angel, I know that, but I've got a lot more time for Luis than I ever will for Torres and I think most fans would probably feel the same
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Gerrard wasn't forced to stay. He decided he didn't want to go to Chelsea and committed his career to LFC. Suarez on the other hand cried his eyes out on tv and radio, but was told he was going nowhere. Huge difference.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:24 pm

Torres comments about the ambition of the club are justified, we still have a restrictive transfer policy,  and at that point Chelsea where buying players to maximise chance of instant success.

Clubs make promises to players that they have no intention of keeping and you cant blame them for being upset when that happens.

His experience at Chelsea turned out to be a very poor one overall but he did win silverware, so on that point he achieved what he went for.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:50 am wrote:
Maybe not but a desire to leave never translated onto the pitch, unlike most modern professionals. He did later on say that It was a word with Gerrard that convinced him to stay didn't he? (I'm fully aware he may have went to Arsenal if the correct offer and everything fell into place) Despite all of that I would say his bond with us is firmly in tact. He's no angel, I know that, but I've got a lot more time for Luis than I ever will for Torres and I think most fans would probably feel the same

I don't think you can really compare the two situations mate, Torres stuck with us through much worse times than Suarez, Torres was here when we were 2 days away from going under, he was here through the whole ownership debacle where practically every day on Sky Sports News you'd have the likes of Hicks, Gilette, Purslow, Parry, Broughton, Rafa etc publicaly slagging each other off and blaming each other for the state of the club. Torres was here through Roy's tenure (Konchesky, Poulson, Joe Cole etc) and he was here when we had to make a profit in the transfer market in order to pay off our debts.
I think Torres had just got to the stage where he had had enough.
By the time Luis arrived FSG owned us, Kenny was in charge and the club was starting to spend a few bob on players.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Divenountly » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:06 pm

Never liked him, did not deserve to play at Liverpool.
Divenountly
LFC Basic Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion