This is not the liverpool we want to see..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby nbk » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:35 am

hi people. I'm a Liverpool fan from Cyprus. We all know that Liverpool became famous around the world with the quality of players used to have especially during the 70's and 80's. even 90's. The last few years we are all very -not proud- for the team and the game that Livepool produces. We used to watch Liverpool to play the passing game. We used to wait anciously for the Saturday to come to watch Livepool and enjoy Dalglish, Keegan, Rush, Barnes, Hansen...McManaman and many more.

back then we used to play a game that was different for that time. it was a game that we see now Arsenal, Man.Utd and Real to play.

we don't we return back to the future ? !!!

This is not the Liverpool we want to see.
where are the skillfull midfield players ?
where is the passing game we used to play ?

sorry Houlier. we don't deserve this. this is not for Liverpool. This is a discrase for the Liverpool history and the quality of football we used to produce.
I cannot even watch my team any more. it kills me. This is not Liverpool. I cannot accept it.
nbk

Postby hobbes » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:21 pm

Yes.. it kills me too to  watch Liverpool play like that. But what to do, I cant switch to another channel while MY TEAM is playing. I really cant. Just as I have to put up with things that i dislike at certain times, I have to digest the game. If this is a nightmare imagine if the players are not in form.

Even few years back, while Liverpool did not have a proper Manager, the team was not as bad as it is now. I dont think Houllier made any improvement in the team. He suppressed the players' skill. He did not even use them. For example  Patrick Berger was put in "ice-boxr" for the whole season. Then he was put in the transfer window. Berger's future has been tarnished. Any team will only buy a player by watching him play. Berger was not played at all except once during one of the last matches in the previous season. See how he performs in Ports along with Sherringham now.

But one thing for sure, the team has a composition of great players whose performance we have seen earlier (except for certain exceptional players who seem to have the acquired skill only lately). A team even if it has the best players, it might not win if the Master Mind behind it does not know how to move the team and Manage the "assets" well. Liverpool is a great example.

It is not like the players are injured and not in-form in which occasion we might take the defeat as an encouragement and as a challenge for a revenge in the fortcoming match. But if the players are continously not winning, i find it weird.  I do feel that the losing and not winnig the matches in away was purported to tell Houllier that the players are not happy with him. They want the board to decide fast. The longer the Board takes to make the crucial decision, the disasterous the results would be.   ???
hobbes

Postby eddie harvey » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:08 pm

:angry:I AGREE WITH NBK GH IS TOO NEGATIVE IN HIS APPROACH TO GAMES HIS TACTICAL AWARNESS IS LIMITED HE IS TAKING US BACKWARDS. HE  BUYS PLAYERS WITH AVERAGE ABILITY, UNLESS THEY ARE FRENCH AND CHEAP HE DOES NOT WANT TO KNOW!! WERE ARE THE PLAYERS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO "PUT US ON THE EDGE OF OUR SEATS"? YOU GET WHAT PAY FOR, AND GH HAS PAID FOR SECOND RATE NO HOPERS! CHELSEA, MAN U, AND ARSENAL PUT THEIR MONEY WERE THEIR MOUTHS ARE,UNTILL MOORES AND PARRY DO THE SAME WE WILL BECOME ALSO RANS. EITHER GIVE GH THE DOSH AND TELL HIM TO BUY BIG!! OR GET SOME ONE IN WHO REALISES THAT THERE IS MORE THAN JUST AVERAGE CHEAP PLAYERS IN THIS WORLD. WE ARE KIDDING OURSELVES IF WE THINK WE CAN WIN MAJOR HONOURS THIS SEASON.NOT WITH HALF OF THESE UNDER ACHIVERS!! BE A MAN GH AND ADMITT YOU WERE WRONG OTHERWISE GIVE THE JOB TO SOMEONE WHO CAN DELIVER  LIKE MARTIN O"NEILL?
eddie harvey

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:35 pm

I couldn't wait for the season to start, and relished playing Chelsea.  I had faith in Liverpool, the way they supposedly raise their game for the "bigger" clubs, and I thought we would silence the whole country about the hyped up Chelsea.  I put the defeat down to "one of those things", "you win some you lose some", "we'll take Villa next week".

Yesterday morning I felt good, looking forward to the game, redemption for the Chelsea performance. 

The whole match was a nauseating experience to watch.  I wasn't at all impressed or entertained with the game, and only watched to the final whistle because I can't turn my back on my team.  I was irritable after the match, and Arsenal made it worse, so I switched off at 2 - 0, they were making it look so easy, almost like a training run-out.

I only found this forum last night, so I got a bit of stuff off my chest by logging on, and I thought that would do it.  I thought i'd feel better.  I've woken up today still feeling bitter about the way I feel so helpless at watching my team perform like the way they did yesterday.  I can't remember feeling like this for years.  I have always felt expectancy every season:- "This is it, this is our year", but that expectancy has gone after two games!!!!!  It's like the summer break never happened and we are carrying on our pathetic and miserable form from last season with absolutely nothing learned!!!!!!!

I can't say im confident about the Tottenham and Everton games.  My opinion is don't be hasty and remove Houllier now, early season, but he can't hide behind his tactics and selection forever.  Something has to be done.  The defence was nearly unbreachable only two to three seasons ago, we scored over 100 goals in the 2000-01 season.  Things change.  Players change.  Ours obviously have.  Lethargic and complacent.  I can only see a small number of players that I can honestly say are blameless.  I'm not entirely convinced about Hyypia and Henchoz anymore. 

Just over a fortnight ago, I sat in quiet for hours and read the book by Stephen F. Kelly about Gerard Houllier and the way Liverpool Football Club has changed since he has been at the helm.  And I owe the book for making me realise that he HAS done a lot for the club, and sympathetically, nearly paid with his life for his love of football and the club.  He cannot churn out excuses for the way we consistently play though.  He is one of the most wise, intelligent, astute men in the World game, so why is this happening to our club? 

I only hope I am being hasty in feeling the way I do, and we now go and crush Tottenham and Everton, with excellent performances, having learned from the last two games, that we cannot continue like this.
jonnymac1979

Postby oldredeyes » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:18 pm

Jonny, you're right in so much of what you say and the pain of watching our team at the present time is evident in your words. I have been watching Liverpool since the early sixties and have seen some fantastic teams - sadly this is one of the worse teams I have ever seen. And this despite the fact that there are many of the current squad who are extremely skilful players. It just does not happen when they walk out on to the pitch. I watched the Villa game and like you felt totally depressed at the end of it. Too many false dawns finally getting to me I suppose. I also watched United and Arsenal this weekend and could only admire the skill, passion and ability of the players. They bossed the games and showed just how much of a distance there now is between them and Liverpool - and you have no idea how hard it is for me to say that. I used to get the same feeling obout Liverpool teams in the past - when they too were miles ahead of the competition and everyone feared them. The Board of Directors should take a lot of responsibility over this current state of decline. They are currently in denial that anything is wrong and until they accept this serious illness we have no hope of a cure. Much as I like GH it is now time for a strategic resignation before he is handed his P45 and all the embarrassment that goes with it. And if the Board do not learn from this disaster they should follow GH down the road.
What goes around comes around, and one day Liverpool will be great again - I just hope I live long enough to see it!
Keep your spirits up lads - you deserve much better than this.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion