Thierry henry - Praise

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Henry praised Gerrard for the Player of the season and said he was an inspiration especially with Arsenal going to the final

Nice words I thought  :)

Isnt it weird how Arsenal are us this year
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mark 23 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:24 pm

Still reckon they will get beat by Barcelona though
Mark 23

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:29 pm

I reckon Arsenal will be 3-0 down at the half... :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:38 pm

it is nice, and arsenal liverpool is a gerat atmosphere, but today i found an article by arsene wenger: (this is from 23rd may 2005)

Arsene Wenger puts Liverpool's run to the Champions League final down to luck - claiming it is proof of why the Premiership is his top priority.

Wenger insists Liverpool's presence against AC Milan in Istanbul confirms the tournament is no longer the true measure of Europe's best teams.

The Arsenal manager's words were put down to sour grapes from a man who has never made a Champions League impact.

But does Wenger actually have a point? Is it now a devalued tournament?

Wenger said: "The competition is no longer a reflection of the hierarchy in European football. The days of teams winning the trophy three or four years on the trot because they are the best in Europe have gone.

"The European Cup is now a complete cup competition - like Millwall reaching the FA Cup final."

Wenger's outburst will be met with a resounding raspberry at Anfield as they contemplate their sixth appearance in the final.

And Wenger's argument will be answered by the names of Juventus and Chelsea, two hot favourites to win the Champions League who were sent packing by Rafael Benitez's permanent underdogs.

The giants - AC Milan apart - have fallen by the wayside and their cages are rattled as the Champions League becomes the underdog's playground.

Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid fell in the last 16, while Juventus were out in the quarters.

Not what they had in mind when the competition was re-designed to make it the lucrative cash dispenser it is today.

And they have not been slow to express their displeasure.

Manchester United chief executive David Gill suggested the format was wrong after they exited against AC Milan, claiming seeding should be introduced to ensure the giants do not fall before the business end of the tournament.

Mourinho was another underdog to claim the trophy

He said: "At the moment we effectively have a random group stage. It's not good for the big clubs, not good for television and sponsors if there are no Spanish clubs in the quarter-finals."

Once more, Liverpool will care little for that complaint - nor should they.

Gill reveals a fascinating insight into how the Champions League is viewed by competing clubs when he talks of television and sponsors rather than winning football matches.

Liverpool have won the matches that mattered, and this is why the team many claimed were least likely to progress in the Champions League are now in the final.

Some romantics still hanker for the era when the European Cup was the true test of champions alone - but this is not an option because too many clubs would miss out on hitting the cash jackpot.

And despite Wenger's complaints and Gill's demand for new rules, some view the advance of the underdogs as a welcome break from the old order - a welcome invasion of a too-cosy clique.

Liverpool have followed in the footsteps of Porto and Monaco, who outlasted their more illustrious rivals to reach last year's final.

They have been expertly coached by Benitez, then beaten and tactically outwitted supposedly superior opponents.

It is a similar story to Jose Mourinho guiding Porto to Champions League victory last year - and on the international stage Otto Rehhagel leading Greece to Euro 2004 triumph.

The format may be faulty - it will never recapture the drama of the old European Cup - and the prime motivation now appears to be cash rather than glory.

But a tournament is never devalued by an outsider emerging as the eventual winner.

Liverpool and Porto cannot be blamed for the failings of a format or the faults of their rivals.

The only way the Champions League will be discredited is if the format is altered further to suit the richer clubs who feel they have not gone far enough.

It may not have the glamour of old, but the Champions League is still the biggest club competition on the continent and Wenger would claim it in an instant.

Ask Liverpool if they feel the Champions League is devalued if they beat AC Milan on Wednesday - there will only be one answer.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:48 pm

Wenger - I hope you and your wankbandits get hammered by Barca, you maggott-infested rotting corpse.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:51 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Wenger - I hope you and your wankbandits get hammered by Barca, you maggott-infested rotting corpse.

Couldn't agree more.  :D

Plus, I think the CL final will ultimately decide Henry's future, and I don't want us to be tormented by him anymore lol.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:57 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:I reckon Arsenal will be 3-0 down at the half... :D

Then finish the game at 5-0 down  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:59 pm

dawson99 wrote:it is nice, and arsenal liverpool is a gerat atmosphere, but today i found an article by arsene wenger: (this is from 23rd may 2005)

Arsene Wenger puts Liverpool's run to the Champions League final down to luck - claiming it is proof of why the Premiership is his top priority.

Wenger insists Liverpool's presence against AC Milan in Istanbul confirms the tournament is no longer the true measure of Europe's best teams.

The Arsenal manager's words were put down to sour grapes from a man who has never made a Champions League impact.

But does Wenger actually have a point? Is it now a devalued tournament?

Wenger said: "The competition is no longer a reflection of the hierarchy in European football. The days of teams winning the trophy three or four years on the trot because they are the best in Europe have gone.

"The European Cup is now a complete cup competition - like Millwall reaching the FA Cup final."

Wenger's outburst will be met with a resounding raspberry at Anfield as they contemplate their sixth appearance in the final.

And Wenger's argument will be answered by the names of Juventus and Chelsea, two hot favourites to win the Champions League who were sent packing by Rafael Benitez's permanent underdogs.

The giants - AC Milan apart - have fallen by the wayside and their cages are rattled as the Champions League becomes the underdog's playground.

Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid fell in the last 16, while Juventus were out in the quarters.

Not what they had in mind when the competition was re-designed to make it the lucrative cash dispenser it is today.

And they have not been slow to express their displeasure.

Manchester United chief executive David Gill suggested the format was wrong after they exited against AC Milan, claiming seeding should be introduced to ensure the giants do not fall before the business end of the tournament.

Mourinho was another underdog to claim the trophy

He said: "At the moment we effectively have a random group stage. It's not good for the big clubs, not good for television and sponsors if there are no Spanish clubs in the quarter-finals."

Once more, Liverpool will care little for that complaint - nor should they.

Gill reveals a fascinating insight into how the Champions League is viewed by competing clubs when he talks of television and sponsors rather than winning football matches.

Liverpool have won the matches that mattered, and this is why the team many claimed were least likely to progress in the Champions League are now in the final.

Some romantics still hanker for the era when the European Cup was the true test of champions alone - but this is not an option because too many clubs would miss out on hitting the cash jackpot.

And despite Wenger's complaints and Gill's demand for new rules, some view the advance of the underdogs as a welcome break from the old order - a welcome invasion of a too-cosy clique.

Liverpool have followed in the footsteps of Porto and Monaco, who outlasted their more illustrious rivals to reach last year's final.

They have been expertly coached by Benitez, then beaten and tactically outwitted supposedly superior opponents.

It is a similar story to Jose Mourinho guiding Porto to Champions League victory last year - and on the international stage Otto Rehhagel leading Greece to Euro 2004 triumph.

The format may be faulty - it will never recapture the drama of the old European Cup - and the prime motivation now appears to be cash rather than glory.

But a tournament is never devalued by an outsider emerging as the eventual winner.

Liverpool and Porto cannot be blamed for the failings of a format or the faults of their rivals.

The only way the Champions League will be discredited is if the format is altered further to suit the richer clubs who feel they have not gone far enough.

It may not have the glamour of old, but the Champions League is still the biggest club competition on the continent and Wenger would claim it in an instant.

Ask Liverpool if they feel the Champions League is devalued if they beat AC Milan on Wednesday - there will only be one answer.

Thats why i don't really like W*nk.er....He's as big d1ckhead as moanrinho and fergie....

I hope barcelona beats arsenal in the final. I also hope they finish 5th in the league.....  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:03 pm

arsene wenger is no different compared to moanrinho, they are self centred, i'm the best attitude.
I can't wait cl final to see barca trash :censored: team and arsene whinger will say " we're the better team, we controlled the game, ref bias toward our team bla..bla..bla...

imagine this: no cl next season, uefa cup at new stadium and no henry.........:D
darwisigila

Postby cheesecake » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:15 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Wenger - I hope you and your wankbandits get hammered by Barca, you maggott-infested rotting corpse.

Well said my good man. I concur whole-heartedly  :)
cheesecake

Postby 2520years » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:43 pm

I can never understand why Wenger said the Champions League is a cup competition these days.  It was pure two-legged knockouts the last four times we won it.  At least it's got a league stage now.  And when the first and second rounds were both league formats it dragged on for an eternity and was scrapped.

I'm sticking with my hope that they'll lose in the dying minutes in the same way they nicked the league title off us a few years back.
:p
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby dawson99 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:48 pm

and then they buy the guy who scores the goal and he turns out to be a bit pants?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:52 pm

dawson99 wrote:and then they buy the guy who scores the goal and he turns out to be a bit pants?

Ronaldinho maybe...
:D
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:00 pm

i really hope barca crush arsnail and then Henry says sod it and move to Barca and Ronaldinho comes to liverpool on a free. I also hope i'm stuck up to me nuts inside Kiera Knightly tonight but I doubt its gonna happen.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:05 pm

I hope Arsenal win
Im not a big fan of Wenger but they have produced some superb football and havent really had a nasty rivalry with us.

I must say I was impressed by Henry's comments.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion