The friday five - This weeks edition

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:43 pm

sorry guys, just had to make a few adjustments. :p

this weeks set of questions:

ok guys, it's a new month and we have a new set of questions for you.

1. Should the Premiership be allowed it's opening month to be free of International game disruptions?

2. Should 3rd placed teams from the group stages of the CL be allowed into the UEFA Cup.

3. Should there be a maximum number of players that a premiership team can have on their books ?

4. Can you see any of the top four teams appointing a British Isles manager within the next ten years? If so, who would be the likely candidates?

5. Should the punishment for the Italian match fixing teams been much harsher?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby weringo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:54 pm

stmichael wrote:sorry guys, just had to make a few adjustments. :p

1. Should the Premiership be allowed it's opening month to be free of International game disruptions?

2. Should 3rd placed teams from the group stages of the CL be allowed into the UEFA Cup.

3. Should there be a maximum number of players that a premiership team can have on their books ?

4. Can you see any of the top four teams appointing a British Isles manager within the next ten years? If so, who would be the likely candidates?

1. Imo no, there is a whole two weeks break from the premiership after all so the players arent going to be overly stretched. The international games are going to have to be played one way or another and I would rather them be spread accross the season than all bundled up into a few weeks.

2. Again no, the UEFA cup has become a pointless trophy and if we came third in the CL group stages I wouldnt see the point in going into the UEFA cup, it would only distract us from what we really want to win, the premiership. The UEFA cup is just for :censored: teams like Bolton to get a bit of extra cash. I would rather win the Carling cup, at least you would probably play a decent team along the way to winning it

3. I think a salary cap would be a better idea than reducing squad size. Because of injuries a big squad can be neccessary, if  we just introduced salary caps then teams like Chelsea wouldnt be able to get such a big squad of world class players as they wouldnt be able to pay them all what they wanted.

4.I think Martin O'Neil will become the mancs manager some time in the future, other than that I cant see anything else.

5. Certainly, I still cant belive Milan were allowed to enter the Champions League and only get a 7 point penalty in their league. They also got the easiest CL group, probably fixed the draw as well
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby drummerphil » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:00 pm

5........Milan got away with murder
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Definately, its very frustrating for the managers players and fans when these games come right at the start of the season, it takes the players time to get back into the familiarity of the Premiership, to the pace and tempo and also for the team to gel, these qualifiers are over 2 years so it wouldnt of hurt to have them later in the year, a more convenient time for everyone.

I dont see the point tbh, most of the clubs that get knocked out couldnt be bothered with going in the UEFA cup so no, it would be better if they just left it alone and went out of Europe all together.

I dont think there should no, its up to clubs if they want to have big squads, and obviously it is then difficult to manage the squad...as Ferguson seen last year with his strikers, and Chelsea have with Gallas.

As already said O'Neill is a potential united manager but outside of that i dont see wenger going anywhere or Rafa and when Jose leaves Chelsea will almost certainly go for one of the big foreign star names.

Yes, the punishment handed out was an absolute joke, the original punishments were ok, but to go back on them and to allow Milan to compete in Europe is an absolute farce, its as if they havent even been punished.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:22 pm

1: i cant stand the internationals. the premiership has only just started, couldnt give a monkeys about some andorra match, wanna watch the 'pool!

2: No, they shouldnt, they should be out. But i also think only the winners of the league should go into the CL and also the fa cup winners.

3: Let a team have as many as they want.

4: You can never tell what managers are doing, maybe someone will if te right manager comes along. couldnt say who.

5: Got to agree, i cant beleieve milan got into the CL, juve have been punished enough. the others should have all been relegated too tho and italy as a country should be punished
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:27 pm

weringo wrote:3. I think a salary cap would be a better idea than reducing squad size.

in an ideal world yes  but it will never happen.

personally, i think we'll see a player earning £200,000 a week before 2010. :O
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:28 pm

A resounding yes on this one. The perfect example of what a load of bollox and trouble they are is can be seen by what happened to Dean Ashton. The hammers had to go and sign TEVEZ :p  to cover for the loss of their best striker due to a pointless friendly.

I've always thought it was unfair on the poor b@stards who've had to go through the Intertoto (Cough)Newcastle(cough)to get into the  competition to then have their chances of some glory dashed by failures from the champions league. It's also taking prize money away from the smaller teams that compete in the UEFA cup and giving it to clubs that have already had their pockets lined in the top competition.

Deffo, you only have to look at the rent boys to see what kind of damage it does to the game. You just have to look at the case of players like SWP & Wayne Bridge who would probably get regular footy at other premiership teams but the rent boys are letting them rot in the reserves just so other teams haven't got them in their squads to challenge cheatski. Restricting squad sizes may not solve this problem but it would certainly help to combat it in the future. Squads of about 22-24 would be acceptable as there is plenty of cover for injuries and I believe that it may even increase competitiveness (is that a word?? :lookaround )of the premiership through the top teams struggling with injuries and suspensions.

It's hard to say with this one 'cos 10 years ago cheatski wouldn't really have been considered a concrete top 4 side like now. I think it is possible that come 2016 a top 4 side may have an english manager as we've got quite a few young guys cutting their teeth in the premiership at the moment. Stuart Pearce stands out as a bright managerial prospect and depending on what he does at Man city he could certainly be up there. Of the current crop of managers I think the most likely is going to be O'Neill. He seems to be doing a good job at Villa already and he may be able to make something of 'em now he's not got deadly doug looking over his shoulder!

A resounding YES. It's fooking ridiculous that AC Milan have been found guilty but they are still allowed to compete in the champions league and only have an 8 point defecit to make up in the league so stand a fair chance of still winning their championship. No matter what level of involvement each team has had in the scandal they should ALL have been relegated even just for conspiring to fix matches IMO. It just takes away the whole point of football by trying to decide the results and the way the games are going to pan out through phonecalls instead of just doing what you're supposed to do and compete. The punishments that have been handed out aren't really gonna put other teams off if they think that they can get away with it as lightly as most of the Italian sides have.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:28 pm

I thought it was 5 quiz questions, Friday is not the day for serious deiscussion, its nearly the weekend ffs.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eddie C » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:40 pm

Definately, especially the friendlies, there's just no need

No, it's unfair to reward failure

No, but there should be a maximum wage budget. If clubs want to spend that on just 22 players that's up to them

Stevie G taking over from Rafa

I think the initial punishments were fair, but the appeals shouldn't have been allowed
When I've got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along - Shankly
Eddie C

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:49 pm

As far as squad sizes go, I reckon a tilt at the Baseball system in the States would be an idea.... They have a "first team" squad of 25 and all other club players play for minor league sides (albeit minor clubs operated by the Major side).... If someone gets injured they go on the "DL" (Disabled List) and they call a player up from the minor leagues... Championship and League 1 clubs here would also benefit from having those players on loan... The likes of Chelski would not be able to sign too many big name players because the players main concern would be the size of the existing first team squad and whether he would get into it.....?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:56 pm

CardinalRed wrote:As far as squad sizes go, I reckon a tilt at the Baseball system in the States would be an idea.... They have a "first team" squad of 25 and all other club players play for minor league sides (albeit minor clubs operated by the Major side).... If someone gets injured they go on the "DL" (Disabled List) and they call a player up from the minor leagues... Championship and League 1 clubs here would also benefit from having those players on loan... The likes of Chelski would not be able to sign too many big name players because the players main concern would be the size of the existing first team squad and whether he would get into it.....?

You watch baseball on five? tis quality. Anyway dont Real Madrid have a system like that with their Real Madrid B side?
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:04 pm

Weringo mate, I watch Baseball on NASN (Sky Channel 417) and I've been to many games in the States, it's good but don't get me wrong, it don't beat watchin' Stevie G smack one in.....!

CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:43 pm

weringo wrote:4.I think Martin O'Neil will become the mancs manager some time in the future, other than that I cant see anything else.

it's a distinct possibility, although mark hughes must also be in the frame aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:02 pm

stmichael wrote:
weringo wrote:4.I think Martin O'Neil will become the mancs manager some time in the future, other than that I cant see anything else.

it's a distinct possibility, although mark hughes must also be in the frame aswell.

keane aswell.... alot can happen in 10 years and if he gets the right experience i can see him coaching the mancs
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:15 pm

stmichael wrote:sorry guys, just had to make a few adjustments. :p

1. Damn right. F*ck England.

2. Yes as it strengthens the competition. (And it gave us another reason to laugh at the Bitters and their failures on the European stage!!!! :D)

3. No. If players want to rot in the reserves, that's up to them. I would, however, insist on each registered player making at least 10 appearances per season, so as to stop Sh*tski and the like signing players to prevent other clubs from doing so.
(Salif - f*ck off you turd.)

4. Yes. Probably Stuart Pearce/Curbishley/Allardyce/Paul Jewell. (All at the scum or Arsenal.)

5. Yes. Those involved should have faced jail. It is, afterall, a form of fraud.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion