The friday five - This weeks edition

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby murphy0151 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:20 pm

stmichael wrote:sorry guys, just had to make a few adjustments. :p

this weeks set of questions:

ok guys, it's a new month and we have a new set of questions for you.

1. Should the Premiership be allowed it's opening month to be free of International game disruptions?

2. Should 3rd placed teams from the group stages of the CL be allowed into the UEFA Cup.

3. Should there be a maximum number of players that a premiership team can have on their books ?

4. Can you see any of the top four teams appointing a British Isles manager within the next ten years? If so, who would be the likely candidates?

5. Should the punishment for the Italian match fixing teams been much harsher?

1.  The hole season should be International free.  International games bore the shiiit out of me.

2.  Yes

3.   No

4.  I dont know and I dont care.

5.  I dont know and I dont care, im a Liverpool Fan.  Do Liverpool play in Italy?
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:11 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:(Salif - f*ck off you turd.)

straight to the point there lando :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:55 pm

stmichael wrote:4. Can you see any of the top four teams appointing a British Isles manager within the next ten years? If so, who would be the likely candidates?

5. Should the punishment for the Italian match fixing teams been much harsher?[/b]

4. Does Roy Keane count? I'm hoping he does well at Sunderland so that Man Utd get him in after Fergie; and
then he's hopeless at Man U.

5. UEFA should have intervened - you cant rely on the coutry's FA to hand out fair punishment.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:59 pm

1. Yes, not only because players have spent summer playing in the world cup but teams like us have had champions league qualifiers and could get our game in hand out the way and have a week before the next game instead of playing on a wednesday and then on a saturday.

2. yes because it makes the competition more interesting.

3. no but if it happened it would stop chelski signing players so other clubs cannot.

4. Martin O'neil/Stuart Pearce/Curbishley/Allardyce/Paul Jewell are all young and still have time.

5. Definately, with the current punishments you might as well have to them to keep fixing games. The initial punishment was acceptable but they shouldn't have been allowed to appeal.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:29 pm

1. Should the Premiership be allowed it's opening month to be free of International game disruptions?

2. Should 3rd placed teams from the group stages of the CL be allowed into the UEFA Cup.

3. Should there be a maximum number of players that a premiership team can have on their books ?

4. Can you see any of the top four teams appointing a British Isles manager within the next ten years? If so, who would be the likely candidates?

1. I think yes in regard to friendlies, but if we exclude qualifiers it would cause a backlog later in the season, when we really need players to be injury free.

2. No. I am of the opinion that the EC should be a purely knockout tournament which at the moment is devaluing the CL. Both should be made smaller as those competing can no longer call themselves the "elite" from respective nations.

3. Deffo. Massive squads like Chelski do nothing to help younger players come through and i thing the success of a team should mostly rely on the talent of the team and coaching staff, not the size of the clubs wage budget.

4. Yes. Manure are the more likley team for me, with O'Neil, Robson, Strachan, and Keane (although from Eire) being among the more likely candidates.

5. In the case of Milan - yes. They should have also been relegated and banned from the CL.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:22 pm

1,yes as it has disrupted the start to the season for all the clubs and gives mangers a headache worrying about injuries after the window has shut but england have to qualify and being a top club we are bound to lose players, for many countries

2. the uefa cup needs to be revised massively anyway and this is just one of the reasons it is diluted to the equivilent of the carling cup

3. i don,t see how this would benefit the young players that are already struggling to get a chance at the top level as the epl is loaded with players from abroad that cost less and are better than our home grown i.e xabi or carrick

4. manure are going to have to replace fergie soon and chavski will replace maureen next year when he wins feck all and fecks off, as for who i don't see any one of great tactical ability coming through, curbishly  small time club man, gollam, fat sam ???

5.if that had been the epl we would have been mangled by the fa and fifa but the italian goverment are part and parcel of there footy and as bent as a corkscrew
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:50 am

oops, just remembered that i set the questions but haven't answered myself :p

1. Yes. A teams start to a season is too important for it to be disrupted; and maybe injuries as the result of internationals. Considering we've started poorly in the League the last few seasons, the last thing we need is a Dean Ashton situation on our hands this season.

2. No. Why get rewarded for being a failure? In the current format, scrap the UEFA Cup and bring back the Cup Winners Cup. You'd have a lot of decent teams in that and it would generate more interest.

3. Clubs should be allowed to buy the players they want. But to prevent the big teams 'buying the competiton', it would be a good idea.

4. Martin O'Neill is the obvious candidate and I wouldn't rule out Mark Hughes or even Alan Pardew.

5. Yes. They ALL should have been deducted points and put in Serie B or C.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:32 am

[quote] I dont know and I dont care, im a Liverpool Fan.  Do Liverpool play in Italy? [quote]

:D
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:36 am

Viva the friday 5!!

1) This is something i feel strongly about.....absolutely and especially after the world cup or Euro championships!
If they aint in them they are qualifying...way too early!Its unfair to players and clubs alike...i mean how many games is burnout for a pro......i suppose that depends on the individual?
I think its unfair though that we(and all clubs) get 2 weeks football to gather,then players are marched off to serve countries.How can we find form?
Then again this handicap is'nt exclusive to LFC,it still annoys me though!Maybe its because i support N Ireland!  :D

2)Who gives a feck!To me the UEFA cup is a micky mouse tournament and the biggest waste of time in football!

3)No,why?
A team can have any number as long as the club can pay their wages thats OK.

Every team must name their squad at the start of the season and again in January.This to me is suffice and the rule that only 11 can be fielded at one time is fine!

4)The only manager that i can see moving into topflight is Martin O'Neill from Britain..or UK if you wanna be p/c!

To me he is the only manager that has what it takes...this does not need highlighted as recent managerial records show the U'K in a bad light!
I think the fact that a Swede managed England for ages and failed to inspire only makes the void more obvious!
Personally i dont expect McLaren to do any better at international level....if he was so good it would have shone through while he was at Sven's side!
The top 4 will be as they are for a while with same managers,if a job comes up i expect the likes of Cappello to fill empty shoes......Alardyce or Curbishly .No ta!
As for the England job..i feel the biggest threat to English international football is the fact that players feel they are great and world beating material....this mindset is destructive..Theres a vast difference in being a weekly Charlton or Villa beater than being a Argentina or Portugal beater!
I think the world cup showed this and the players know it!
5)Who really cares!!
66-1120597113

Postby Scottbot » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:27 am

stmichael wrote:2. No. Why get rewarded for being a failure? In the current format, scrap the UEFA Cup and bring back the Cup Winners Cup. You'd have a lot of decent teams in that and it would generate more interest.

That's a good shout. Remember when it was considered a real honour to win any of the 3 European trophies? Not anymore, UEFA made a mockery of the UEFA Cup when they expanded the champs League to allow entry to 3rd and 4th placed teams. Rewarding failure by allowing losers from the Champ leahue group stage decalued the contest even further. Bringing back the Cup Winners cup might make Eurpean football a bit more interesting.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:42 am

As ive always said the fa cup winners should get into the champions league. not those who finish 3rd or 4th. it would make the fa cup as important as it used to and would be good for the whole country.

You say why get rewarded for being a failure, thats exactly what happens in the champs league when you dont have to be a champ to be in it
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:53 am

dawson99 wrote:As ive always said the fa cup winners should get into the champions league.

by that token, millwall would have got in the champions league a few years back, as manchester united had already qualified for the CL through their league position that season. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:58 am

...and that would have rocked!!! but if all teams knew that the fa cup would generate a champs league space, i think teams would bring out slightly stronger sides!
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:00 am

dawson99 wrote:As ive always said the fa cup winners should get into the champions league. not those who finish 3rd or 4th. it would make the fa cup as important as it used to and would be good for the whole country.

You say why get rewarded for being a failure, thats exactly what happens in the champs league when you dont have to be a champ to be in it

9 times out of 10 the winner of the F.A cup is in the top 4 anyway, so that wouldnt make much of a difference imo.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:04 am

i just want the fa cup to mean something again tho. and for the 'champions' league to mean what it says. im old fashioned that way
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion