Season thoughts - 2016/17 edition

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Right, seeing as we're now TOP OF THE LEAGUE  for the first time on points since April 2013 I thought it might be time to launch a 2016/17 season thread. 

First thing first, I'm going to put say I think (for now) we're the best team in the league:buttrock  Our movement is world class and our attacking play is out of this world. No one can live with us at present and it's been a few years since I've been able to say that.

Mane has been brilliant and the addition of Milner at left back and Matip at CB has finally steadied the defence. It's not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a long way from the bad old BR days of headless chicken defending. I also think our midfield is better, with Wijnaldum providing the important protection for the back. Lallana (yes, I'm praising him) has improved immeasurably since Klopp's arrival too.  He's no longer scared to run with the ball or shoot. He also has started looking up and creating some killer passes.

I know it's long way to go - it's only November - but Klopp's style of football is starting to show, week-in, week-out, and I'm starting to dream a little. That said, I'll still be happy with a top 4 place and a cup. But the way things are going, Klopp has his eyes on something considerably bigger
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:24 pm

I would say that this team is as good as any weve had since we last won the title, the Benitez outfit of Gerrard and Torres to the Rodgers side carried by Suarez. I would say comparable, and its a young group with improvements in it.

Winning anything is extremely  difficult, the challenge is massive, but honestly we have a fantastic opportunity this season, wonderful team led by a brilliant manager.

We must also consider that the club must have funds in the bank after a quiet summer overall, with Matip and Mane away on international duty we may have chance to bring more quality in to boost it in January.

A message was sent today at Anfield and there will be a lot of people worried about Liverpool make no mistake.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Like I said in the match thread, what I love about this team is how we commit players forward. When we have someone running on the flack, we have like 4 or 5 players running to the box along with him. We weren't like that in Brendan's last year nor in the years of the managers before him and I just couldn't understand why. Is that so difficult to coach, committing players forward?

I also love how, bar maybe Coutinho, we don't have a star player. We have a great TEAM and that's what makes us so good and hard to play against. Klopp has done an outstanding job with these lads so far.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:52 pm

I think one of the most important decisions Klopp has taken is with his clear out. The result is a core team of players who understand what he wants them to do and how. Everyone else, including those who question his authority - such as Sakho - are pushed out of the way.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Loving ever minute of it. We are not a one man team anymore. We have got many who can contribute to this team.
If we continue this form and overcome January im confident we will be champions.
Klopp has transformed us completely.
We were close with Rafa close with Brendan but we will win it with Klopp!

Long way to go yet, many hurdles to see through. Things are looking very promising.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:59 pm

After a tough start we have been playing fantastic offensive football just outscoring the opponents. But I am not going to fly up in the sky because we are now top of the league by 1 pt.
The top 4 are within 2 points and all of the teams are flying high. I'm just going to enjoy the ride and see where it takes us and then maybe in April I might start believing. I have seen so many false dawns before...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Calm down guys !

Yeah, we're playing the most attractive and exciting football BUT as Kloppo said (sic) The title is'nt won after eleven games.

We're looking more than impressive but there's still lots of work to be done.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:29 pm

Yup loads of work to be done plenty of hurdles we will face.
Im hoping City, Arsenal and Spurs continue their progression in the champions league and also the FA cup.
They will falter in the league which could result in a dog fight between us and Chelsea.
This season the title race will be exhilarating.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Some past experiences when we were top of the table or challenged.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/liv ... -never-won
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:52 am

Enjoying the ride but lets face it we have only completed less than a third of the season. January without Sadio and Joel will be a challenge. Injuries to key players may also present massive problems later in the season. Whilst we have improved our strength in depth it is far from complete. As yet I'm not putting the champagne on ice or screaming in the faces of opposing fans about our current league position !! We look better than we have for a very long time and yes it is very difficult to remain cool but hey I'm going to try  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Thank god that this is the last international break until next March.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion