The benitez years: his transfers in full - Reg 1, stato 0

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 am

Does it really matte? Utd have always been able to spend 20-30mil on a single player.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:33 pm

Lads, you have to speculate to accumulate. Rafa went thru a period of buying cheap marginal squad players and flooding the academy with freebie unknowns none of whom have worked out to date, however of bigger concern for an accountant is not so much the nett 80 million investment but the monthly wage bill. If we're under pressure to sell players its probably more from the working capital requirements of paying the wage bill then finding 20 million to buy a player. Take a SG or Nando wage at 130,000/110,000 a week, add the social charges, pension, insurance etc.. and it basically doubles it.......  Ouch.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Sticking to the 80mill i see... hahaha guess people will take whatever makes them feel better wont ya....

Anyways... good post Owzat and i've gone over that same point many times on these boards so wqont go there again... suffice to say i agree that it has cost us time and money.. the likes of Finnan, Murphy, even Cisse and Crouch.... Rafa is shhit in the transfer market as far as im concerned and he proves that more and more every fcking transfer window....  Fck net spent i dont care if its 0... we payed 200+mill to buy players since Rafa took over.. if he wants to go around like a little boy replacing every signing he makes in 12months with similar if not worse quality in the same position then fck that ... We should learn to build on what we have... until then we'll swing around between 2nd and 4th until a mancity, villa, or dare i say an Everton decide to get a grip and have a go at one of those champions league spots....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:07 pm

Sh.it in the transfer market is he ?? how the hell did he manage to improve us every season then ? pure blind luck that he bought players like pepe,agger,skrtel,arbs,aurelio,insua,masher,xabi,reira,kuyt,torres,yossi, even babel has played his part .plus add successful signings like Momo,crouch .

In the 5 years we have gone from being 30 odd points behind the winners to being in with a chance with two games left - number of players still involved since Rafa took over = 2 . so explain how he is shi.te in transfer market when we have improved with the players he has bought ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:32 pm

ill make it brief and simple gybs...

1. we didnt improve every season... table and points tally say otherwise...
2. players such as... except for Torres (who was a big name before signing for us and was wanted by the like of Manutd and Milan before we even considered bidding for him), Mascherano (possibly.. ), and Alonso (good buy and all credit to Rafa there)... we could and perhaps should have done better with every player in your list... Pepe is a good goalie but every top side has one (maybe not arsenal now).. your argument is absolutely pointless because every manager out there would have bought us big players simply because we are a big club spending big money... would someone else have done better with the given money in terms of players bought.. id say hell yes... so there ya go...

3. in the 5 years we had sides that came close that were ridiculously broken apart... players who deserved more time who were unjustifiably moved on..etc etc... theres a reason why there apparantely is no continuity to our league standing and our improvement in terms of points...

4. number of players since Rafa took over ? proves fck all to me mate... Hyypia, Gerrard and Carra are still some of the best players we have/had... not gonna go over this again but fair to say the players he had when he got here won him the fcking champions league the 1st year he was here... he brought in his players and won fck all in the following 4... so excuse me for not seeing all the so called improvement in terms of transfers... 

Listen Gybs, its all pointless going over this again... my point when i made a post in this thread was simply to put things straight once and for all about the spending BS... 212mill or so spent in 5 years is a-fcking-lot... 110mill in net spend over this period is alot... we spent almost as much as Chelsea did (same for net) and more than Manutd and Arsenal by quite some margin... so for some to come out here and blame the fact that we cant afford player X or player Y because of Parry or the owners is just fcking pointless...

We have a good side now... we'r as close as we have been in a while to winning it.. lets see where we go from here... Hopefully we sign another top player besides Johnson without having to sell any of our key players... if we do that ill be a happy man .. doesnt matter what i think of Rafa, if he can get the job done (winning the league) i couldnt care less if he spent 20mill on Johnson or 12mill on Babel... as chelsea have proven, its not about the individual players, its about how well they work together as a unit... and i believe what we have now is a very strong unit that needs a little bit of extra something in the final third to go all the way... its hope rather than expectancy from here on from me though
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Thread reopened for the sake of footy discussion but I've pruned the nonsense.  The return of the petty bickering is getting tedious now, folks: either chat footy or go out and enjoy the sunshine.  Anyone that continues ruining threads will be dealt with...
Last edited by Bad Bob on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:04 pm

He's like every other manager really. He's made some brilliant signings and he's made some poor signings, but nevertheless the squad now is light years better than what it was when he took over.

Was watching the LFC channel the other day and they were showing a game we played away at Norwich in Rafa's first season. The side that day was:

Dudek
Finnan
Warnock
Carra
Sami
Riise
Diao
Gerrard
Nunez
Garcia
Mellor

Copmpare that to what we've got now.  :laugh:

This summer is critical though, especially considering we're in a relative position of strength after a decent season. The problem is, the last time we finished 2nd our signings were disastrous and last summer was hardly inspiring either. Johnson is a good signing and I'd expect 2 other major signings (left winger and a striker) before the start of the new season starts.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion