Contracts, transfers, and liverpool - Are we 10 years behind the times

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoted article insists

Representatives of Barcelona have informed MSI that the Spanish giants want to take Mascherano to the Nou Camp when his loan deal with Liverpool expires at the end of this season but, under the terms of the loan, Liverpool can make the deal permanent by buying him outright for a fee in the region of £17 million before June 30 next year.

Last time I checked (last week) Barcelona officially denied the interest, so I don't know where this is coming from. Certainly not Barcelona, because if you search "Mascherano" in the paper that everything related Barcelona included rumours are echoed, you only can find this article

http://www.sport.es/default...._PK=803

And they make clear the rumour doesn't come from Barcelona, but MSI, the enterprise, obviously in an attempt to increase the value of their player.

On October 22, Mascherano said that "he wouldn't bite the hand that feeded him", an Spanish expression to say he's grateful to Rafa because he took out him from West Ham, and he said he was grateful, so quite simply, we don't have to worry much.

I don't know why some journos up there insist on echoing baseless rumours after being denied. *shrug*
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:59 pm

Lets get this right then then - did we not just put a host of our players on longe term contracts this summer or was it last?  or did I dream it all ?

Give over please, enuff nit pickin this is gettin so boring.

I officially ask the name of this site be changed to - Liverpool FC old kit doom and gloomers site - 2 posts entitles you to elite status !
Last edited by zarababe on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:04 pm

zarababe wrote:Lets get this right then then - did we not just puit a host of our players on longe term contracts this summer or was it last?  or did I dream it all ?

I officially ask the name of this site be changed to - Liverpool FC old kit doom and gloomers site - 2 posts entitles you to elite status !

No one is acting doom and gloom in this thread, but they are making a good point towards the signing. Its true that we didn't get the players we wanted due to not paying the required fee, look at Alves for example, I remember we bid 10.5m quid and they wanted 13m, but maybe in this case Sevilla were acting like tw@ts.

However, I think this summer we showed that we are capable of getting our players before other clubs do, like Babel for example and Lucas. I really hope this January we do the same get the players as quickly as possible.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Vidic did not want to come to Liverpool and the price for Alves was not clear neither with his club refusing to sell.

As for securing players on longer contracts I ask again have we not just done that?
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:15 pm

zarababe wrote:Vidic did not want to come to Liverpool and the price for Alves was not clear neither with his club refusing to sell.

As for securing players on longer contracts I ask again have we not just done that?

Its not proven that Vidic did not want to come to Liverpool, maybe he did maybe he didn't, all I know that we were heavily interested but Mancs got him instead, there may be alot of reasons why he wanted to go to mancs, it could be that we took our time with the deal, or mancs offered more money, etc...

I advise to open an investigation commitee.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:16 pm

and yes, we have signed long term contracts for key players and hopefully mascherano will sign with us for 4 or 5 years (i'm very confident)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:34 pm

maybe that cofie kid will be rooney's replacement. rooney's out for 4 weeks minimum. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:29 pm

It's difficult to make judgements on questions such as these.

Especially concerning whether we may or may not have been interested in signing 'x' player.

Of the scenarios that we have a reasonable understanding of, e.g. the Gerrard/Chelsea scenario, I think it's clear that the club probably should have acted quicker.

In saying this, it's very difficult to know exactly what went on etc. There are a whole range of possible reasons as to why he didn't feel valued. There may have been a lack of communication, a misinterpretation of actions, etc...

There are always two sides to every story.

I think the only loose judgement you can make is that we have been too slow in the transfer market in recent years. Although part of the reason for this may be down to the financial constraints we found ourselves under prior to the American revolution.

I am not sure about the contractual situation with Mascherano, although it would appear that he is on an 18month loan deal from MSI.

They may be negotiating a new deal behind the scenes, who knows, all we know is that it would be nice to get him signed up asap.
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:41 pm

What about the players we did get? Yes we have lost out on players but that is down to the individual. Some players say "rafa didnt seem to be too interested in signing me" while others attitudes are "the minute I heard they were interested there was only one place I was going to !". We have signed players who WANT to be here and have taken paycuts to be here, while the ones who have got away only wanted the money. I know what kind of player id prefer.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Don't United have Tevez on the same sort of deal we have with Mascherano ?

There hasn't been any news from them about signing him up on a long term contract despite him and Rooney ( gutted for the lad about his ankle by the way :laugh: ) being "The BEST ever strike partnership in the history of football all over the world for ever and ever  :sleep "
destro

Postby Reg » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:27 pm

Thingy wrote:Very good point Saint. If it was the mancs who had Mascherano, if i were a betting man ( I actually am :D ) Id think theyd have him signed up permanently by now, or at least on the track to doing so. We fuss about way too much. Maybe now with the new owners in future that extra 500 Grand wont be a problem.

You mean like they´ve signed up Tevez who is on a similar deal as Mascher permenantly by now ?

The grass is always greener......
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:33 pm

I absolutely agree that our pedigree in terms of transfer negotiations isn't great.

I do, however, think that Hicks and Gillett won't stand for underachievement in this regard, so I think that this won't be an issue in coming seasons, even if it means bringing in new blood to make the deals go through.
ivor_the_injun

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:18 am

Reg wrote:
Thingy wrote:Very good point Saint. If it was the mancs who had Mascherano, if i were a betting man ( I actually am :D ) Id think theyd have him signed up permanently by now, or at least on the track to doing so. We fuss about way too much. Maybe now with the new owners in future that extra 500 Grand wont be a problem.

You mean like they´ve signed up Tevez who is on a similar deal as Mascher permenantly by now ?

The grass is always greener......

I think its a slightly different deal mate, I think they have Tevez on a 3 year loan deal not 18 months like with Mascherano.(only 6 months left)

Kharhaz said
We have signed players who WANT to be here and have taken paycuts to be here, while the ones who have got away only wanted the money. I know what kind of player id prefer.

You mean like Bellamy ? cos I can't think of anyone else who has taken a pay cut to join us.

Torres is just about the only player we have signed that could have picked his club, but I don't think he took a pay cut.

The point I was trying to make is that the Mancs have a big advantage in the transfer market (just as we did in the 80's) due to their long period of success, Chelsea have a big advantage due to their piles of cash, if we want to compete and not just accept their rejects, we have to get in quick and close the deal quickly. We can no longer afford misunderstandings, giving the wrong impression, switching the phone off, long drawn out negotiations, failing to keep in touch etc etc

We have to be very professional send out the right message, get our sums and the offer right, act quickly and close the deal.
account deleted by request

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:27 am

From what I gather Benayoun and Torres did take paycuts to join Liverpool, and as you mention Bellamy. Id rather these players play for us because at least we know they are here because they want to be here. OK, heres one. Maybe we aint getting the other players because none of them offer what we already have. If its down to money then why didnt rafa say ok stevie you can go, rather than hey lets pay ya £100,000 a week then a couple of years later give him an extra £20,000 on top of that, you can go because we cannot keep up. No its clear in my mind, the players we havent got here are not here because the club isnt first in there mind.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:37 am

s@int wrote:You mean like Bellamy ? cos I can't think of anyone else who has taken a pay cut to join us.

Torres is just about the only player we have signed that could have picked his club, but I don't think he took a pay cut.

Torres did take a pay cut as far as I can recall, Saint.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion