Contracts, transfers, and liverpool - Are we 10 years behind the times

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:55 am

Kharhaz wrote:From what I gather Benayoun and Torres did take paycuts to join Liverpool, and as you mention Bellamy. Id rather these players play for us because at least we know they are here because they want to be here. OK, heres one. Maybe we aint getting the other players because none of them offer what we already have. If its down to money then why didnt rafa say ok stevie you can go, rather than hey lets pay ya £100,000 a week then a couple of years later give him an extra £20,000 on top of that, you can go because we cannot keep up. No its clear in my mind, the players we havent got here are not here because the club isnt first in there mind.

Nice idea mate but a bit naive in this day an age. Most of the players at ANY club are only there for one reason..... money. Try offering any of them £20,000 less and see how much they love the club then  :D

Gerrard comes under the misunderstanding part not the amount offered part. We showed no urgency to sign him up and he took that as a sign he wasn't wanted ,money was never the issue with Gerrard (but I bet it still cost us to smooth his feathers)

Like I have said, given the option most players would choose the mancs over us because of their long period of success or Chelsea because of their money.

As far as I am aware we matched Westham's offer of £50k pw for Benayoun.

We maybe have an advantage were the Spanish and Spanish speaking are concerned  apart from that the advantages all rest with our rivals. Which is why its so important for us to act quickly, decisively and professionally.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:05 am

s@int wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:From what I gather Benayoun and Torres did take paycuts to join Liverpool, and as you mention Bellamy. Id rather these players play for us because at least we know they are here because they want to be here. OK, heres one. Maybe we aint getting the other players because none of them offer what we already have. If its down to money then why didnt rafa say ok stevie you can go, rather than hey lets pay ya £100,000 a week then a couple of years later give him an extra £20,000 on top of that, you can go because we cannot keep up. No its clear in my mind, the players we havent got here are not here because the club isnt first in there mind.

Nice idea mate but a bit naive in this day an age. Most of the players at ANY club are only there for one reason..... money. Try offering any of them £20,000 less and see how much they love the club then  :D

Gerrard comes under the misunderstanding part not the amount offered part. We showed no urgency to sign him up and he took that as a sign he wasn't wanted ,money was never the issue with Gerrard (but I bet it still cost us to smooth his feathers)

Like I have said, given the option most players would choose the mancs over us because of their long period of success or Chelsea because of their money.

We maybe have an advantage were the Spanish and Spanish speaking are concerned  apart from that the advantages all rest with our rivals. Which is why its so important for us to act quickly, decisively and professionally.

Naive? Gerrard was classed as the biggest hero in Liverpool after Istanbul? He was the one who won it for us and had the support of EVERYONE. And yet when I mention his contract its a case of a misunderstanding? No mate, it would appear it is you who is naive.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:05 am

Different players are motivated by different things.

Some players will be outright mercenaries, others will be partly motivated by a lucrative pay deal, some might even take a pay cut in order to join a club.

It's inevitable that players at the highest level earn so much, but IMO, I think once players are earning so much a week at the highest level, money becomes less of a motivational point.

They have their financial security, and in the long term, playing as best as they can and aspiring to do well is what will benefit them.

I am not as cynical as to believe that players determine where they will play based on their pay packet alone.

I believe that the decision made to join a particular club by a player at the highest level is at least in some part down to the status of the club, the players, coach and success of the club. To what degree however varies with each player. I'd say these factors count for at least 50% of their decision.

I would hazard a guess that most of our key players would probably stay, even if offered 20k/pw more to play for another club, certainly if that club were lower in stature.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:16 am

Kharhaz wrote:
s@int wrote:

Naive? Gerrard was classed as the biggest hero in Liverpool after Istanbul? He was the one who won it for us and had the support of EVERYONE. And yet when I mention his contract its a case of a misunderstanding? No mate, it would appear it is you who is naive.

If it wasn't a misunderstanding as I have said, and that both Parry and Gerrard have said, what was it then? You are obviously privy to information that the rest of us don't have.

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:20 am

LFC2007 wrote:Different players are motivated by different things.

Some players will be outright mercenaries, others will be partly motivated by a lucrative pay deal, some might even take a pay cut in order to join a club.

It's inevitable that players at the highest level earn so much, but IMO, I think once players are earning so much a week at the highest level, money becomes less of a motivational point.

They have their financial security, and in the long term, playing as best as they can and aspiring to do well is what will benefit them.

I am not as cynical as to believe that players determine where they will play based on their pay packet alone.

I believe that the decision made to join a particular club by a player at the highest level is at least in some part down to the status of the club, the players, coach and success of the club. To what degree however varies with each player. I'd say these factors count for at least 50% of their decision.

I would hazard a guess that most of our key players would probably stay, even if offered 20k/pw more to play for another club, certainly if that club were lower in stature.

I agree with most of this, but the point I am making is its when we are competing with clubs of equal or greater standing ie, The mancs , Chelsea(money), Barca, Milan, Madrid etc. that the problem is highlighted. Not when we are competing with West Ham for the likes of Lucas (I need to be loved) Neill.

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:22 am

You said it yourself saint, its down to money. There is no misunderstanding, while people like myself stood back and did nothing but admire the guy all the time it was down to how Gerrard valued himself and how the people valued him, why Chelsea? would it be because they could afford to pay him what he wanted and Liverpool wanted to maintain the team aspect or was it (and is despite the "misunderstanding") down to how much Gerrard values himself? and Chelsea could give him what he wanted and Liverpool had to miss out on the wages of other players to compensate the one player who has demanded the most? makes you wonder doesnt it?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:26 am

Yeh, fair point.

Although Torres may be one example of bucking the trend.

It's probably fair to say that he had other offers, and Rafa did indicate that he took a wage cut.

I reckon the Spanish influence, our history, recent success in Europe etc. had quite a part to play.

Although for other players, in different circumstances i.e. who have no real connection with a particular club, the difference may just be financial i.e. Chelsea all day long.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:31 am

Kharhaz wrote:You said it yourself saint, its down to money. There is no misunderstanding, while people like myself stood back and did nothing but admire the guy all the time it was down to how Gerrard valued himself and how the people valued him, why Chelsea? would it be because they could afford to pay him what he wanted and Liverpool wanted to maintain the team aspect or was it (and is despite the "misunderstanding") down to how much Gerrard values himself? and Chelsea could give him what he wanted and Liverpool had to miss out on the wages of other players to compensate the one player who has demanded the most? makes you wonder doesnt it?

I may be naive on this one mate but I honestly think he was going to Chelsea for other reasons than money. I certainly think he probably used it to extract a little better contract out of us, but I find it difficult to see how money can be such an incentive when you are on that kind of income anyway.

I prefer to believe it was just a misunderstanding, Gerrard maybe thought that Liverpool would prefer the £40million to rebuild the team, rather than to keep him, because of the usual delay in our dealings.

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:35 am

s@int wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:You said it yourself saint, its down to money. There is no misunderstanding, while people like myself stood back and did nothing but admire the guy all the time it was down to how Gerrard valued himself and how the people valued him, why Chelsea? would it be because they could afford to pay him what he wanted and Liverpool wanted to maintain the team aspect or was it (and is despite the "misunderstanding") down to how much Gerrard values himself? and Chelsea could give him what he wanted and Liverpool had to miss out on the wages of other players to compensate the one player who has demanded the most? makes you wonder doesnt it?

I may be naive on this one mate but I honestly think he was going to Chelsea for other reasons than money. I certainly think he probably used it to extract a little better contract out of us, but I find it difficult to see how money can be such an incentive when you are on that kind of income anyway.

I prefer to believe it was just a misunderstanding, Gerrard maybe thought that Liverpool would prefer the £40million to rebuild the team, rather than to keep him, because of the usual delay in our dealings.

I would like to think so also, unfortunately I just dont.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:38 am

LFC2007 wrote:Different players are motivated by different things.

I would probably agree on the whole with you LFC2007  :oh:  but I'd still say in this day an age of football most players not all but most are motivated by money.

But I agree also with S@int that especially where Rick Parry is concerned we seem to be pretty slow in a) getting the right price sorted and signing a player and b) getting his contract sorted before he ponders on other clubs offers and has to think twice about signing.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:41 am

I reckon the Spanish influence, our history, recent success in Europe etc. had quite a part to play.

With Torres I believe this to be the case.
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:50 am

Bamaga man wrote:I would probably agree on the whole with you LFC2007  :oh:

I'll frame it  :D
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:50 am

I think we are all in essence agreeing, so it all comes back to how to ensure we get our fair share of the top players rather than accepting other clubs leavings. We can't just go off prestige anymore because the other top clubs are just as prestigious. We cant pay vast sums more because most of the top clubs have similar wage structures, so the main way we can improve would be in the way we conduct negotiations, and the speed with which we get deals sorted. (Winning the league and CL always helps too)

Postby maguskwt » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:28 am

stmichael wrote:Anyway, it's a shame we missed out on a very promising youngster but in we've got bigger fish to fry. We've recently been closely watching Ben Arfa and Benzema at Lyon (had a scout at the CL game this week). Never really seen either player but apparently both are pretty good. Better than Cheyrou anyway.  :D

I don't know about you stmichael... but I cringe at the thought of signing more french youngsters after the failures of cheyrou, le tallec and pongolle...  :sniffle
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:31 am

what's wrong with this site recently... keeps on displaying 'can't display the website' errors...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion