Taxi for Torres - judas fecks off to chelsea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:32 pm

john craig wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
john craig wrote:On the whole, I agree that we need a decent strike partner for Torres.

Kuyt works hard, but each game he plays he just looks less and less of a goal threat to me.  I think his all-round game is deteriorating because he's low on confidence - his link-up play isn't even what it used to be.  He looks like he's playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders these days.  IMO he either needs to have the shackles taken off - forget about the defensive side for a few games, just get into the box and try and put the ball in the net.  Unfortunately I can't see him turning it around and he needs to be sold.

To be honest though I can't see the yanks giving Rafa money for a new striker in January and I fear we're stuck with what we have.  We do have options though.  Crouch and Torres haven't had a decent run in the team together yet and I think it's worth a go.  Babel could be tried up with Torres.  Failing all that, the young lad Nemeth in the reserves looks a very good player to me who scores all different types of goals.  Why not give him a chance if the other first team strikers aren't performing?

as bad as Kuyt been, his still ahead of Crouch and Voronin IMO. He may be lacking goal threat but he still has good movement and links quite well with Torres, something that the other strikers have failded with. He creates space, has intelligent movement as when he does getting himself in a scoring position he usually tucks it away. His confidence is clearly shot, and i agree with u that he should concentrate on getting himself in the box and scoring and forget about the defensive side for a while.

Disagree with a few things there mate.

How can you really say that the other strikers have failed in linking up with Torres, but that Kuyt has succeeded in doing so?  What is the evidence for this?  Torres is a lone striker.  Even if another striker is on the park, Torres plays as a lone striker.  His intention is always to shoot or run at players when he gets the ball, he rarely looks to link up with his strike partner.  I think he must be difficult to play with if you're Kuyt/Voronin/Crouch, as Gerrard/Kewell etc are always looking for Torres.  My point is that I don't think any of our strikers have necessarily hit it off with Torres.  Torres is the main man and he'll get us goals.  What we need is someone else to provide a bit more of a goal threat alongside him, not necessarily someone who links up well with Torres specifically.

You also say that when Kuyt gets himself into a goalscoring position he usually tucks it away.  Firstly I don't necessarily agree with that.  Secondly, Kuyt's problem is that he hardly ever gets into clear goalscoring positions.  He doesn't have the pace to get in behind defences and he doesn't have the guile to drop off and be a playmaking second striker.

Agree with your point about Torres being a bit of a solo player, and its something i think he needs to work on as he is guilty of going it alone to often sometimes. With regards to Kuyt when i say he has linked quite well with Torres, i mean that his movement and non stop running often create space for Torres and he has shown an abilty to get the ball to him.

I also agree completly with your point about Kuyt not getting into goal scoring positions, that why i said he needs to concentrate on this aspect of the game rather than tracking back and working hard, as i beleive he is quite a good finisher and can get goals when he gets in the right places. He lacks pace but he has intellingent movement and a good shot on him, but he dosnt use these weapons enough, and wastes energy busying himself with defensive duites.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Torres is the real deal.

Worth every penny we paid.

With a good strike partner, he'd be unstoppable.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:47 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Torres is the real deal.

Worth every penny we paid.

With a good strike partner, he'd be unstoppable.

:bowdown  Hopefully  :D
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:01 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
john craig wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
john craig wrote:On the whole, I agree that we need a decent strike partner for Torres.

Kuyt works hard, but each game he plays he just looks less and less of a goal threat to me.  I think his all-round game is deteriorating because he's low on confidence - his link-up play isn't even what it used to be.  He looks like he's playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders these days.  IMO he either needs to have the shackles taken off - forget about the defensive side for a few games, just get into the box and try and put the ball in the net.  Unfortunately I can't see him turning it around and he needs to be sold.

To be honest though I can't see the yanks giving Rafa money for a new striker in January and I fear we're stuck with what we have.  We do have options though.  Crouch and Torres haven't had a decent run in the team together yet and I think it's worth a go.  Babel could be tried up with Torres.  Failing all that, the young lad Nemeth in the reserves looks a very good player to me who scores all different types of goals.  Why not give him a chance if the other first team strikers aren't performing?

as bad as Kuyt been, his still ahead of Crouch and Voronin IMO. He may be lacking goal threat but he still has good movement and links quite well with Torres, something that the other strikers have failded with. He creates space, has intelligent movement as when he does getting himself in a scoring position he usually tucks it away. His confidence is clearly shot, and i agree with u that he should concentrate on getting himself in the box and scoring and forget about the defensive side for a while.

Disagree with a few things there mate.

How can you really say that the other strikers have failed in linking up with Torres, but that Kuyt has succeeded in doing so?  What is the evidence for this?  Torres is a lone striker.  Even if another striker is on the park, Torres plays as a lone striker.  His intention is always to shoot or run at players when he gets the ball, he rarely looks to link up with his strike partner.  I think he must be difficult to play with if you're Kuyt/Voronin/Crouch, as Gerrard/Kewell etc are always looking for Torres.  My point is that I don't think any of our strikers have necessarily hit it off with Torres.  Torres is the main man and he'll get us goals.  What we need is someone else to provide a bit more of a goal threat alongside him, not necessarily someone who links up well with Torres specifically.

You also say that when Kuyt gets himself into a goalscoring position he usually tucks it away.  Firstly I don't necessarily agree with that.  Secondly, Kuyt's problem is that he hardly ever gets into clear goalscoring positions.  He doesn't have the pace to get in behind defences and he doesn't have the guile to drop off and be a playmaking second striker.

Agree with your point about Torres being a bit of a solo player, and its something i think he needs to work on as he is guilty of going it alone to often sometimes. With regards to Kuyt when i say he has linked quite well with Torres, i mean that his movement and non stop running often create space for Torres and he has shown an abilty to get the ball to him.

I also agree completly with your point about Kuyt not getting into goal scoring positions, that why i said he needs to concentrate on this aspect of the game rather than tracking back and working hard, as i beleive he is quite a good finisher and can get goals when he gets in the right places. He lacks pace but he has intellingent movement and a good shot on him, but he dosnt use these weapons enough, and wastes energy busying himself with defensive duites.

I'd agree, there's no doubt that Kuyt is a good finisher, his record in Holland proves that.  Even if it is a weaker league, you don't score the amount he did without being a good finisher.  For whatever reason though, he just hasn't been able to do it over here.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Defoe or Anelka would be a step up from Voronin, Crouch & Kuyt.  Surely offloading Crouch or Kuyt would cover the cost of buying either player.  I don't think Rafa will abandon Kuyt just yet somehow.  My money is on beanpole!
Rockthekop

Postby zarababe » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:23 pm

Rockthekop wrote: My money is on beanpole!

:D how much?

Torres is uttelry awesome - when he gets on the ball his acceleration excites; those broad shoulders flexing to carry him forward, shrugging of the wooses clamouring all over him; his strength and resolve a sight to behold and inspire - over used, the term world class is indeed apt when referring to senor Torres - Star Man !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:52 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
stmichael wrote:hopefull pennant will be back in the next 2-3 weeks. that would mean that we could move benayoun infield and play him as a second striker which is more his position anyway. he's not a traditional wide player and he's got good vision, so much like garcia, i think he'd be great just off a front man.

why wait for Pennant to come back? Now that Alonso is back or that Lucas has emerged as a legit player partner either one of them in the centre with Gerrard out wide.  I know that having Pennant on the wing and Gerrard on the wing are two totally different things, but it would give Yossi a chance to see how he plays with Torres in a 4-4-1-1, and if it doesn't work out just take off Xabi for Kuyt or Babel and move Gerrard back inside.

i didn't want to mention gerrard moving back to the right as we'll have another 20 pages arguing over his best position again. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:56 pm

john craig wrote:How can you really say that the other strikers have failed in linking up with Torres, but that Kuyt has succeeded in doing so?  What is the evidence for this?

well if you remember the matches where we play kuyt and torres, there are so many more passes between them... I agree completely with Fowler-E7 that out of the 3 strikers kuyt is the best partner for torres so far...

having said that I won't mind if we can get a better player than kuyt... anelka and keane are good shouts... we should look at van der Vaart from Hamburg as well...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Theres proper hype over santa cruz now just because of half of a good season at blackburn

Wasn't he a very poor striker at bayern munich before he went there
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:23 pm

MLPD wrote:Villa could be a little selfish... great player but not too generous with team mates

As all good strikers should be.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:24 pm

GOAT wrote:Theres proper hype over santa cruz now just because of half of a good season at blackburn

well i think that the ability was there but he just had very limited opportunities at Bayern...

having said that I feel lukewarm about him... the same way I feel for Berbetov...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby username » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:46 pm

GOAT wrote:Theres proper hype over santa cruz now just because of half of a good season at blackburn

He was plagued with injury and didnt really get a start at Bayern.

Santa Cruz is a good player, and suits the english game, the fact they he can header a ball better than alot of striker is how he gets alot of goals. I could see him as a good partner for Torres too

Wouldnt mind keane, he seems a rafa worker type player and has a good finish. Anelka is a great stiker, but hes more of a goal scorer than a 2nd stiker.
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Personally I think Pandev would be a perfect striker partner for Torres.
He could create a lot of space for Torres with his runs.  And I could see him leaving Lazio soon.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:56 pm

He only cost 3 million bargain.

Funny enough Benni MacCarthy had an excellent season for them last season but he cant even get in the team now.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:58 pm

I agree on the Santa Cruz move,He would be a good target man and knowing the kind of player rafa would like to go for he could be the one especially with him being spanish speaking, possible swap deal with Crouch or Kuyt?

If not him i wouldn't mind Robbie Keane or Anelka.:D
roberto green

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion