Steve morgan - The guy talks sense

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redtribe » Thu May 13, 2004 1:47 pm

I must admit i'm a little concerned with the Thai deal as it all seems very befuddled
As for Morgn i must admit i have been more likened to his proposals maybe shaking up the board room a little and questioning the spending and future of the club!

Untill i have heard both proposals though i cant really say which i feel is best for the club if either.
They both have pros and cons as i see it and i agree with alot of what people are saying for both parties!

So i therefore announce myself as firmly sitting on that fence!

Has anyone heard any furthe news of the 2 deals?
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu May 13, 2004 1:50 pm

I hope you don't get splinters in your ****** redtribe. Here's a bit more info for you.

KOP CHIEFS FACE CRUNCH DECISION
Thursday 13 May 2004

A lunchtime board meeting at Anfield today could pave the way for either Steve Morgan or Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra to invest upwards of £70m in Liverpool.

Liverpool's directors will consider the offers from Thailand, details of which chief executive Rick Parry brought back with him from Bangkok yesterday, and the last-ditch share and rights issue offer from Jersey-based millionaire Morgan.

DAVID MOORES
Click Image
Directors are aware that by choosing the Thai offer they would enrage large numbers of Anfield fans who would rather the club was run by Garston-born Morgan.

Morgan has worked his way up from being a Liverpool brickie to a £300m fortune that makes him the country's 137th richest man.

He has also made it clear he believes he can add a massive amount of professional business acumen to the club.

He said: "I have been born and raised in Liverpool and only have the club's interest at heart. My message to the board is to accept the offer with the honesty and the integrity that it is meant.

"Think first of the good of the club because that is what I am doing, and make the right decision. If they think the right decision is to take the Thai offer then I will accept that, but I do not honestly believe that it is the right decision.

"I never count chickens, I am not confident but I am hopeful."

Morgan will underwrite both share issues, of old and new shares, and will have to wait to see how many are taken up before knowing how much it will cost him.

If the board decide to go with the Morgan offer, the legal side of things can be rushed through in under a month and the selling of shares could start within a few weeks.

Morgan wants a speedy decision so Gerard Houllier can start operating in the summer transfer window in full knowledge of the transfer budget at his disposal.

£10 off Liverpool home shirts while stocks last...

And Morgan insists he can make his deal work. He said: "I am good at making things successful, I have been the chairman of two big companies.

"You don't put this kind of money in to get a huge return, football is not like this. But I have been very successful in my businesses and made a bit. Now I want to put something back into the community from where I belong, I was born here and love the club.

"There is a cheque waiting to be filled in and I can guarantee £73m, although it will not cost me as much as that because people will take up the offers.

"But it would be extremely unlikely if every share was taken up, it would be the first time in history."

Morgan defends his use of share and rights issues, saying: "I can't win. If I offer just to put money in I am accused of trying to take over the club. If I say everyone has got rights to buy shares, I am accused of not putting enough money in.

"Everyone has a right to put money into the club, and I am now ensuring that whatever way it works, the club will get £73m.

"There is cheque that needs filling in. And I can't fill it in until after everybody else has decided what they want to do."
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu May 13, 2004 1:58 pm

Damn Splinters!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers ckay
I'm sill sitting on the fence though
I hope it does get sorted soon though and what did sound encouraging was when he said houlier would have the cash to spend and not someone else!
I still beleive GH is the right man for the Job!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 13, 2004 2:04 pm

there's a board meeting taking place as we speak so we can expect a press conference either later today or tomorrow.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Thu May 13, 2004 2:05 pm

He's had 3 good seasons and 2 bad. I'd at least give him another season, we owe that at least.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu May 13, 2004 2:06 pm

Yes we do!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 13, 2004 2:07 pm

i agree. i'm not a houllier fan but next season is the last one on his contract, so if he fails, the board can at least say they let him see out his contract.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Thu May 13, 2004 2:12 pm

I think that if we're not in a strong postion by January that he'll leave saying that ill health is the reason.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu May 13, 2004 2:16 pm

Well the board should let him see out this last year and i have every confidence in him!

Not only that but i cant see anyone coming in to do a better job anyway!

Cant wait to hear the Press conferrence now!

This last couple of months have been the most exciting for LFC fans for a long time!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu May 13, 2004 2:19 pm

It's a really difficult call - there are serious repercussions to consider when you take into account both bids. Personally, I'm very apprehensive about Thailand's human rights record, which is something I'd hate LFC to be associated with. An extreme example, but as far as I'm concerned taking his money would be akin to a politician taking money from someone like Saddam Hussein to fund a political campaign.

As for Morgan, there's every possibility that he'd prove to be divisive in the boardroom, which could be catastrophic. He's clearly gunning for an influential role on the board, but as we've heard from the infamous AGM, him and Moores aren't exactly ideal bedfellows. Yes, he's making all the right noises, and he does seem to be speaking from the heart, but openly slagging off the team is probably the worst thing that a board member could do. Making it obvious that there is dead wood in the side has traditionally had knock-on effects on team morale, and can even turn out to have adverse effects on player valuations when it turns out that some are to leave.

Personally, particularly given the fact that there is apparently the £30m "war chest" to spend on players from the existing board (so clearly no huge problems financially), I'd be happy for both bids to be rejected. CL football next season will automatically give us a welcome injection of funds, there are quality signings being lined up for sensible money, and I'd be stunned if next season was as poor for us as the last two have been.

Managerial quibbles aside, we're a well run club. You only have to look at what's happened to Leeds to see exactly what happens when the wrong man is in charge of financial affairs, and from what I've seen and heard over the years, I can have absolutely no complaints with the work Moores has done for us.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Redtribe » Thu May 13, 2004 2:21 pm

Nice post i must admit maybe rejecting both offers could be the best thing for now!

Who knows?
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 13, 2004 2:23 pm

Redtribe wrote:Not only that but i cant see anyone coming in to do a better job anyway!

that's the bottom line. there's no point in sacking houllier when there is nobody available at the moment with the credentials we need.

o neill is the man, but not in the forseeable future. he will come back to england, it's only a matter of time. i just hope it's not to the scum.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Thu May 13, 2004 2:24 pm

Is there any room on that fence Redtribe?
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu May 13, 2004 2:31 pm

Yeah but there are a load of Geordies up he talking about whether then can finish above Bolton!!!!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu May 13, 2004 2:40 pm

Redtribe wrote:Yeah but there are a load of Geordies up he talking about whether then can finish above Bolton!!!!

Are they counting up yellow and red cards to see if they qualify for the fair play place in the intoto cup!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion