Steve morgan

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:10 pm

I watched Monday's England/Croatia game at a corporate dinner in Manchester. After obscene amounts of prawn sandwiches and free beer I had a good old natter with one of the after dinner speakers, none other than Ron Yeats himself. What a gentlemen he is, and what a privilege it was to meet him.

Anyway, back on topic, we spoke about the Thai bid, Morgan etc and he shares the beliefs of most of us here - basically that the original Thai bid stinks from an ethical viewpoint and also had absolutely nothing to do with football whatsoever. Purely a money making exercise. We also agreed that Morgan would appear to be a far better proposition for the club although neither of us could profess to know much about the actual financial package he was offering.

On other topics, the big fella was glad to see the back of GH and also thinks Stevie will stay another season and see how things pan out under Benitez. Lets hope he's right.

PS. I know you've all missed me cos I haven't posted for a few weeks (     :;): ) but I've been up to my eyeballs moving house, office etc etc....      Anyway, I'm back now...   :)
Last edited by Woollyback on Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:15 pm

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has been given two weeks by the Thai media tycoon to make a decision over the offer for a 30% stake in the club.

The chairman of GMM Grammy Plc, Paiboon Damrongchaitham, met Parry and a representative of chairman David Moores to outline the Thai's business consortium's proposal for investing in the club.

A spokeswoman for Damrongchaitham told the Liverpool Echo: "At the meeting between Mr Damrongchaitham and the boss of King Power Duty Free Ltd, as well as Mr Parry and a representative of David Moores, the Grammy chairman put forward his business model.

"They also discussed the rights to merchandise Liverpool FC shirts, scarves and other products in Asia.

"Mr Damrongchaitham wants to gain the rights to sell merchandise in Asia. Mr Parry explained to him Reebok own the copyright on the Liverpool FC logo but they do not have the copyright in the Asian market.

"He explained to the club he would like to repeat the tournament in Thailand which Liverpool participated in two years ago.

"Mr Damrongchaitham has given Mr Parry two weeks to decide if he wants to accept his business proposal. They may talk over the phone or they may arrange another meeting."

He also repeated no Thai public money would be used and if Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra were to get involved he would only be able to use his own cash.

This would see the Reds get a vital cash injection and allow the Thai Government to save face after Shinawatra had to stand aside after his intention to use public funds in the £67million bid.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:05 pm

It could be curtains for this Thai deal and any transfer kitty unless we sell.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:18 pm

I seriously doubt that the Thai deal will eventuate but the likelyhood of Morgans deal being accepted is slim even if the Thai deal doesn't happen.  Moores is a businessman, you have to remember that.  One of my best friend's father is the owner of a major international corporation based here in Oz called News Corp.  As I have learnt from my friend's father businessmen are trying to make money.  In business it doesn't matter how ethical it is as long as it follows the law and makes you a profit its all ok.  Morgan's deal wouldn't compensate Moores for his out of pocket expenses, no.  In fact it would leave him nearly £20 million pounds more out of pocket.  There is no way a businessman would ever accept such a deal.  Morgan would need to be offering Moores himself at least £10 million pounds for any deal to go through.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby ROBtheRED » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:17 pm

It seems to have gone very quiet regarding the investment into the club, with the Thai deal looking less and less likely has anybody out there any information if Morgan will make a further proposal?
It seems Moores needs a cash incentive to relinquish his major shareholding position, so will they reach a compromise to suit both parties and more importantly raise much needed funds for the club? 

???
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion