Steve morgan - The guy talks sense

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed May 12, 2004 3:06 pm

Gerard Houllier may have had a distinctly uncomfortable breakfast had been following Morgan's early morning news conference to outline his plans.

MANAGER

Morgan shielded any ringing endorsement of the manager behind the time-honoured "not the time or place to discuss" tactic.

Morgan criticised Houllier's signings

But, when pressed, it became obvious Morgan has serious reservations, particularly when it came to Houllier's record in the transfer market.

He said: "Players have been brought into the club for a lot of money and have been a major disappointment.

"It is up to the management going forward, in whatever shape that management is, to make sure it doesn't happen again."

And he added ominously: "Anyone can make mistakes, but we just seem to have made a hell of a lot of them."

All words that indicate life would become uncomfortable for Houllier should he wield power.

THAKSIN OPTION: Houllier's position unaffected.

THE PLAYERS

Morgan made it clear he appreciates what he called "the core" players, by which he presumably means Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen.

Morgan refuses to name Liverpool's bad buys!

But he was scathing about some recent signings and members of the squad "we would all like to see the back of".

He said: "I'm not going to name players, but if they hadn't been a major disappointment we would be challenging Manchester United and Arsenal."

Morgan won't name them, but if he did they would be led by El-Hadji Diouf, Salif Diao and Bruno Cheyrou.

Emile Heskey is on his way to Birmingham City and Morgan sounded like a man in the mood for a cull if he assumed a position of influence.

THAKSIN OPTION: Houllier in place and making all the moves. Thaksin's actual knowledge of Liverpool's current squad is still a matter of debate.

THE BOARD

The crucial area of contention.

Would Liverpool chairman David Moores and his fellow directors, who have studiously side-stepped many efforts from Morgan to invest over the years, finally succumb to the advances of a man who has made a habit of being one of their sternest critics?

Parry and Moores must make a crucial choice

After his latest broadside, at Liverpool's annual general meeting in January, Morgan said: "The chairman has refused to talk to me. Money is available from me and others, but the chairman will not dilute his holding."

A recent £50m offer was rejected, with Anfield sources suggesting the stumbling block was that it would force Moores to reduce his own shareholding to 37.5%, with his critic also taking 37.5%.

It came after Moores said he was ready to bury the hatchet, but it will still require a major piece of diplomacy for the two to work together inside the Anfield boardroom.

Morgan himself admits: "It's fair to say we have had our differences over the way the club has been run, but we have both got the interests of Liverpool at heart.

"It is nothing personal. I have disagreed with some of the policies of the club and said so, but it's not personal."

He would not only want a seat on the board, but may have other representatives alongside him who he said would be "highly-motivated in their desire to make Liverpool number one".

Another thinly-veiled swipe perhaps?

Morgan would be a fiercely-driven force for change - but is this what a Liverpool hierarchy built on continuity and minimum disruption and dischord wants?

THAKSIN OPTION: Would expect representation on the board, but all early indications suggest he will be a benign influence, at least at the start, leaving major decisions to those already in power.

Thaksin appears more interested in the commercial spin-offs of a successful Liverpool.

THE NEW GROUND
Anfield insiders claimed one stumbling block to Morgan's earlier proposal was that he was not opposed to a groundshare with Everton.

This is one of the most contentious issues, with most fans on Merseyside unable to consider using the same home as their arch rivals.

Morgan did not dismiss the notion competely, but attempted to calm the doubts of those who only want a Liverpool home.

He said: "Like any true Liverpool supporter I would always prefer us to have our own ground. That would be the premise I would start with.

"If my offer is accepted and I am on the board you have to look at all options. My preferred option is Liverpool to have its own ground."

THAKSIN OPTION: Would support the board's move to a new Liverpool-only stadium in Stanley Park.

THE DILEMMA
Liverpool's board will know that Morgan's offer will win the popular vote on Merseyside.

He is a lifelong Liverpool fan made good, whose intentions and background are well known compared to Thaksin, who has allegedly expressed support for Manchester United and has no known links with Anfield.

He knows how to tug on the Kop's sentimental heartstrings. See the red van with LIV FC number plate that was used to deliver his bid to Anfield!

Liverpool's board must decide whether Thaksin's offer, which appears to allow them to remain in total control of their destiny and maintain the status quo, is preferable to Morgan's.

Morgan clearly wants an active boardroom role and a change in policy and direction, as well as suggesting he might want a close look at the performance of manager Gerard Houllier and his squad.

And could Liverpool's directors leap comfortably into bed with someone who has been such a public critic of their policies?

Liverpool's immediate future will rest on the outcome of their deliberations.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 12, 2004 3:14 pm

Morgan is definitely the guy we need  :)  :)  :)
Morgan seems to echo a lot of things that us fans have been grumbling about.
Good post St Mike
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby simic_ie » Wed May 12, 2004 3:25 pm

Yeah excellent post, I just hope nobody fom the BBC is on the look-out for plagiarism:;): :D
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Wed May 12, 2004 3:54 pm

Sense has spoken. I hope the decission is made with the best intrests of the club and not on how much there pockets will be lined and the number of business trips to the lady boy capital!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 12, 2004 7:41 pm

He's a ****** idiot who will turn us into the next spurs.

He has no patience, no football knowledge and to come out and slag proffessional players off when he's probably never kicked a ball in his life is just damn right ludicrous.

I can't believe some people are even attempting to support this knownothing fruitcake. Its not even like he attends matches on a regular basis for gods sake.
115-1073096938

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed May 12, 2004 7:53 pm

I'm waiting for the backlash......
jonnymac1979

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed May 12, 2004 8:10 pm

I must admit that Steve Morgan has been making all the right noises in his bid for a seat on the board, and he will definitley be the fans favourite to come thru.

I just think that the Thai deal is the best in terms of advancing the club, but Morgan is the right man. If only Steve Morgan was the Prime minister in Thailand, that would solve everything.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:03 pm

Leon thats my point lad.

He's making the right noises and following the crowd. The ones who are doing the right thing and care about the club are Moores, Parry and Houllier.

They aren't stupid, they arent going to be around forever.

I still believe something great can and will happen in the next two years. Houllier isn't a fool, he's learnt by his mistakes. He knows whats needed.
115-1073096938

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed May 12, 2004 9:07 pm

Very good point, Stu and I agree with your comment. I do believe they will be stronger next season. Cos Houllier know that and learn his lesson from mistakes.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Wed May 12, 2004 9:07 pm

houllier has never even admitted making a mistake so how the hell can he learn from them stu? ???
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed May 12, 2004 9:10 pm

Have you read what Houllier said in a few weeks ago, so he admitted that he made a mistake with signing of Diao, Diouf, etc.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:19 pm

He has admitted he's made many mistakes!

didn't you read what he said at the AGM?
115-1073096938

Postby adayinthelife » Wed May 12, 2004 9:30 pm

His last 2 seasons has been a catalogue of errors which adds upto total incompetence on his part.
He has 1 year left on his contract so what is the point of letting him spend all of the cash being invested? ???
How can anybody slag off morgan when it is obvious he has the fans interests at heart and just cuz he is not prepared to sit back and watch this great club's demise like moores and parry he is not to be trusted? ???
Hey stu you seem to forget everybody has a right to an opinion and what is your problem with him slagging off players who have blatantly not performed? ???
We all know you love houllier and this morgan guy questioning his performance must have been painful for you but he is right we have had some dreadful results and yet he failed to mention the performances have been even worse than the results.
Nobody really knows all the ins and outs of the thai deal and it looks very dodgy to me and this guy has no interest in anything other than his own popularity and propably making some easy cash in hand from the merchandising rights.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daddyo » Thu May 13, 2004 1:54 am

There are pros and cons of both bids.

I think it goes without saying that if it were possible to canvas all of the LFC fans regarding their choice of investor, Morgan would win hands down.

However I'm not sure itwould necessarily be the right move. Sure he loves the club no-one can deny. But would that be a good base on which to base such a huge (and it is huge) financial commitment?

He's got the numbers all worked out and even says that his company would buy any unsold shares, but footy club shares go up and down more than a slappers pants and if we were (an I hope to goodness we dont) have another 'not so good season' where would that leave him financially.

Now the Thai guy we all know is  bit of a dark horse.
It has not even been stated with any kind of sincerity WHERE exactly all the money for his bid is coming from.
There are strong overtones that he is using this as a vote buying exercise and should it be cofirmed that his cash is indeed coming from public funds then ther are gonna be a lot of Thai's tellin him to get knotted!

The market in that part of the world is underdeveloped an carries with it tremendous potential. Potential that would be an awful loss SHOULD Man ure decide to step in and exploit-coz thats the kind of thing they thrive on.

Now I aint saying that he's(Thaksin) the wrong man or right one jus to say sometimes one needs to think a little more deeply about things.
daddyo

Postby azriahmad » Thu May 13, 2004 1:11 pm

Taksin wants Thailand or a Thai based company to have the marketing rights of Liverpool in Asia, which is a very big and largely untapped market for Liverpool. Believe me, as I live in Asia. In return, they will let Moores and his present cohorts run Liverpool as they like with only some say in the spending on players.

Morgan will not accord Moores such luxury of managing Liverpool as he likes. He wants to have a big say in Liverpool's management and set-up and the coaching and also playing staff. Morgan is also a genuine fan, unlike Taksin.

This is a tricky one but I suspect Moores may be leaning towards Taksin. Although mindful of what the fans want, Moores controls a majority of the shareholding. Perhaps he will rely on the fact that Liverpool's fans are quite a tolerant lot and they tend to love Liverpool to death, no matter who becomes the shareholders.

I think he will say "stuff them and Morgan, I will accept Taksin's offer". My only concern is that Houller will hace tons of money more now and if not restrained, he will blow the lot on anonymous but expensive purchases and yet we will still remain behind Arsenal, Chelski and Manure.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion