SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 am

Reina's a great 'keeper. Dunt matter though. Mignolet is the future. Mignolet is a real mixed bag right now. Great at times, awful at others. I like him though and I think with experience, he'll tighten up on some key areas. It's all about adaption really. If you're not good at coming for crosses, you practise, sure, but you also adapt your game so you don't need to come for as many. The best way of dealing with crosses is to communicate and organize your defence in the heat of battle so that crosses don't come in so much. That takes time, and practise, and a good relationship with your team mates. In that regard we miss Reina, but more so we miss Carra, who was the wise head at the back.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby devaney » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 pm

I was no fan of Pepe's behaviour or in fact his Father's and his agent and I have said as much earlier in the this thread. I would never suggest for one moment that Pepe is a fair weather player. He played extremely well for Liverpool during some difficult times. His performances in the two years prior to him being loaned out we're somewhat sporadic. If there was a chance of getting the old Pepe back I would welcome him with open arms. Lets face it most of us have confined Luis's summer indiscretions to history. Personally I don't think Pepe will return unless we force him to and that seems unlikely. I would much rather have Bergovich in the squad and leave the two of them to battle it out for supremacy. Having said that Brad did alright against Arsenal so perhaps we should concentrate on other area as a priority.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:47 pm

parchpea » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm wrote:Reina has made some howlers for Napoli and is not a better keeper than Mignolet.

In his pomp he was, not now, and Mignolet has time to improve and will have too of course.

The club invested in potential over an ageing keeper on double the wages without damaging
the quality.

Absolutely ridiculously clueless post with absolutely no idea about football.

Even by this forum's standards that's a complete whopper of a post.

Reina made about 5 or 6 mistakes in 5 seasons as Liverpool's number one, Mignolet has made 6 or 7 already this season alone. Pepe had a few howlers and you can probably look at a couple of others in his last two seasons and say, "he's done better in the past" but to suggest that Mignolet is even close to his standard is absolutely ridiculous, clueless and completely obsurd. Add to that WRONG as well and you're somewhere near the truth.

Next you'll be saying that Aspas is as good as Suarez!

Stupid stupid post! :no
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:55 pm

devaney » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 pm wrote:I was no fan of Pepe's behaviour or in fact his Father's and his agent and I have said as much earlier in the this thread. I would never suggest for one moment that Pepe is a fair weather player. He played extremely well for Liverpool during some difficult times. His performances in the two years prior to him being loaned out we're somewhat sporadic. If there was a chance of getting the old Pepe back I would welcome him with open arms. Lets face it most of us have confined Luis's summer indiscretions to history. Personally I don't think Pepe will return unless we force him to and that seems unlikely. I would much rather have Bergovich in the squad and leave the two of them to battle it out for supremacy. Having said that Brad did alright against Arsenal so perhaps we should concentrate on other area as a priority.

See again this is where I disagree with you. You say "his performances were sporadic". I'm sorry but you missed the word "bad" out of that sentence. He had a few bad games, usually due to not trusting the dog sh*t that was in front of him. He no longer had Sami and Carragher at their best, he no longer had players who allow you to communicate with them and no longer had players in front of him who knew how to work as a team.

Also, you're making out that having a good goal keeper isn't a priority. It really is, keepers, full backs and forwards are the key to having a great team these days especially in this system. The rest of the team you can get away with job doers more often than not providing they're decent at what they do.

As for Brad Jones, the lad is nowhere near Liverpool standard.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:28 pm

I admire your passion and sense of injustice, but I got the feeling that Pepe wanted out, to Barcelona preferably. He had lost his focus and confidence and didnt seem as committed as he used to be. Rodgers seen this and let him go.
He was, and still is a good goalie, but whether we would be better is he was still here is debatable. A goalkeeper has to work with whats in front of him and with the defenders weve had this season, I would say Mignolet has done well making only 6 or 7 mistakes...
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby damjan193 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:53 pm

This whole Reina situation reminds me of the time I was in high school. There was this girl I was friends with, not very pretty but we were old friends so I asked her to be my date for the prom night. She said no because she was asked by this other guy, but wanted me to be on "stand by" in case the other guy cancels on her. So naturally, I asked a different girl so I wouldn't be left in the cold. A few days before the prom, the friend that rejected me tells me that her date decided to go back together with his ex girlfriend and that she would like to go with me now. But I already had a date, so I said no. She got angry and said that it was my fault that she won't have a date. I think that we haven't spoken since.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:06 pm

damjan193 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 pm wrote:This whole Reina situation reminds me of the time I was in high school. There was this girl I was friends with, not very pretty but we were old friends so I asked her to be my date for the prom night. She said no because she was asked by this other guy, but wanted me to be on "stand by" in case the other guy cancels on her. So naturally, I asked a different girl so I wouldn't be left in the cold. A few days before the prom, the friend that rejected me tells me that her date decided to go back together with his ex girlfriend and that she would like to go with me now. But I already had a date, so I said no. She got angry and said that it was my fault that she won't have a date. I think that we haven't spoken since.

Thats is one of the most beautiful stories Ive ever read
:love:
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:39 pm

The likes of reina and mascherano (and an awful lot of other players) seem to think there's some sort of unwritten rule in football that states if Barcelona or Real Madrid come in for a player then the selling club not only has to bend over backwards to make sure the deal goes through but be happy about it as well.
F##k that, we are no ones feeder club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 pm wrote:
parchpea » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm wrote:Reina has made some howlers for Napoli and is not a better keeper than Mignolet.

In his pomp he was, not now, and Mignolet has time to improve and will have too of course.

The club invested in potential over an ageing keeper on double the wages without damaging
the quality.

Absolutely ridiculously clueless post with absolutely no idea about football.

Even by this forum's standards that's a complete whopper of a post.

Reina made about 5 or 6 mistakes in 5 seasons as Liverpool's number one, Mignolet has made 6 or 7 already this season alone. Pepe had a few howlers and you can probably look at a couple of others in his last two seasons and say, "he's done better in the past" but to suggest that Mignolet is even close to his standard is absolutely ridiculous, clueless and completely obsurd. Add to that WRONG as well and you're somewhere near the truth.

Next you'll be saying that Aspas is as good as Suarez!

Stupid stupid post! :no

5 or 6 mistakes in 5 seasons? F##king joking aren't you? He made more than that in a 3 or 4 month spell.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:21 pm

I'm sure it's Maureen's mind games at work here - trying to unsettle our keeper through Thibault Courtois....

http://futnsoccer.com/2014/02/19/chelse ... continues/?

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RedAnt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:54 pm

damjan193 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 pm wrote:This whole Reina situation reminds me of the time I was in high school. There was this girl I was friends with, not very pretty but we were old friends so I asked her to be my date for the prom night. She said no because she was asked by this other guy, but wanted me to be on "stand by" in case the other guy cancels on her. So naturally, I asked a different girl so I wouldn't be left in the cold. A few days before the prom, the friend that rejected me tells me that her date decided to go back together with his ex girlfriend and that she would like to go with me now. But I already had a date, so I said no. She got angry and said that it was my fault that she won't have a date. I think that we haven't spoken since.

So.....she was called Pepe too? I don't get it...

:D
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby devaney » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:12 pm

There were one hundred and ten thousand reasons Liverpool wanted Pepe off the wage bill but perhaps this was the key one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rpool.html

Doesn't exactly accord with what you are suggesting Stu.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 pm

RedAnt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:54 pm wrote:

So.....she was called Pepe too? I don't get it...

:D

Both situations are similar. The girl was not very pretty but she was an old friend, while Pepe was in a poor form (and on high wages), but the club were willing to keep him because of his status and hope that he can return to his best (not pretty=bad form and high wages, old friend=club legend). However, despite their flaws, both of these had the decency to be disrespectful towards me/the club and say that they might leave for someone else while me/the club should wait on stand-by in case the deal doesn't go through. So, if you were me would you have waited for the girl and be her back-up plan or would you have looked for a date elsewhere?

Anyway, speaking about goalkeepers, I'm really jealous at Chelsea for owning 2 of the top 3 goalkeepers. That Courtois is really something.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:23 am

Kash_Mountain » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:21 pm wrote:I'm sure it's Maureen's mind games at work here - trying to unsettle our keeper through Thibault Courtois....

http://futnsoccer.com/2014/02/19/chelse ... continues/?

seriously doubt that has anything to do with maureen mate, sounds like courtois isnt happy about mingys comments on wanting to oust him from the no-1 spot and thinks he's being disrespectful. just exactly what the article implies
i wouldnt think maureen gives a stuff who is between the sticks for belgium.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:57 am

Reina is history, the way he left the club on loan there is no way he will return, that bridge has been burnt. The Reina that left Liverpool also was not worth the wages we paid him anyway, it was his time to move.

Not sayng Mino is the answer, he is good at shot stopping but ends there. Distribution is terrible, does not command the box, hopeless on crosses into the box, even the odd simple clearance seems to cause him trouble. I won't write him off completely, I did with Henderson now he is one of the more important players in the midfield. Not to mention our defence is all over the place really exposing the keeper.

It is odd that Rodgers who likes playing out from the back picked a keeper that cannot distribute the ball very well.
killerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion