Sell mascherano to raise funds? - Sell or keep?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Sell mascherano to raise funds? - Sell or keep?

Sell
52%
Keep
48%

Total votes : 110

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Seeing Red wrote:If Masch is as gone in his own mind as people seem to think, what about a move for Sami Khedira? He was one of the most impressive players in the WC for me (pretty dire WC I know). good ball winning holding mid, composed, good in the air, hard worker and not too shabby going forward (he grabbed a goal I think). I know he wouldn't be cheap/easy to get, but hes only 22 as well, I wouldn't be upset if we got 25-30 mil for Masch and spent 18-20 on Khedira.

good player but both Real and Bayern are seemingly in a bidding war for him... He's asking for ridiculous wages and a signing on fee because he's out of contract next season and both clubs want a deal now.. Pretty much rules us out..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Seeing Red wrote:If Masch is as gone in his own mind as people seem to think, what about a move for Sami Khedira? He was one of the most impressive players in the WC for me (pretty dire WC I know). good ball winning holding mid, composed, good in the air, hard worker and not too shabby going forward (he grabbed a goal I think). I know he wouldn't be cheap/easy to get, but hes only 22 as well, I wouldn't be upset if we got 25-30 mil for Masch and spent 18-20 on Khedira.

it's a great shout mate, have shouted it a couple of times myself! He looked like a quality player at the World Cup and was one of Germany's most impressive players. My mate who is half German is a big follower of the Bundesliga and reckons he has been excellent for a couple of seasons now. Only problem is there will be a few of the big clubs in for the lad I should think. Agree with Ace that it depends how we line up next season but in an ideal world i'd love Masch to stay and for Lucas to revert to being a (capable) squad player. If we can play with a front 5 (for example) of Gerrard, Cole, Maxi, Aquilani and Torres then i'd definately want Masch playing in behind those guys and doing what he does best.

I still think Masch will stay if the club offer him a big contract, the question is can they afford? Can they match whatever offers his agent has no doubt fielded? Do they think he's worth that sort of money? And does Hodgson think he can get the players in that he wants under his current budget restrictions?

If he does go, Lee Catermole isn't a bad shout but i think he'll likely be overpriced. We've been linked with Deffour at Standard Liege in the past and I think he would be a decent shout but again, i think his stock has risen quite a bit in the last 12 months. Ace mentioned Poulsen whom Juventus bought when they couldn't lure Xabi but hasn't he struggled a bit to keep his place at Juve? At least I thought that was the case (I'm always dubious with Serie A players coming to the Prem).
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:49 pm

If gerrard moved back to CM, getting another midfielder shouldn't be high in the priority list. We've got gerrard, aquilani, Lucas and that kid we bought from charlton. Joe Cole can play as an attacking midfielder too. If we do sell mash, and get 25- 30 million (which I doubt we will because he hasn't signed his contract extension) then I would invest heavily in another decent striker.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:59 pm

No brainer for me. Sell Masherano and buy Steven Ireland. I still say this lad would have been my number one transfer priority this season. Gerrards new role for me should be as a sitter with license to step up. Lucas should be a squad player, and we should play Ireland box to box, Cole in the hole with Aquilani as a deputy (I don't think anyone will buy Alberto to be honest).

We'll make money on swapping Masherano for Ireland, we'll get a better defensive midfielder in Gerrard and a top class attacking midfielder in Ireland.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:05 pm

bigmick wrote:No brainer for me.

Getting worse then?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby Seeing Red » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 pm

good player but both Real and Bayern are seemingly in a bidding war for him... He's asking for ridiculous wages and a signing on fee because he's out of contract next season and both clubs want a deal now.. Pretty much rules us out..

Yeah its not surprising that top clubs are interested really, its a shame though for us. I would use all of the transfer money from Masch for him if we actually had any chance tho, he would be a real capture imo.

I was impressed with a holding mid called Perez (I think) from Uruguay as well, but I don't know anything about him at all :D
He reminded me alot of Mascherano though in his playstyle.

We've been linked with Deffour at Standard Liege in the past and I think he would be a decent shout but again, i think his stock has risen quite a bit in the last 12 months.

Defour is another player I wouldn't be unhappy to see in a red shirt as well, but I thought he had a bad injury for about 6-7 months? I remember something about whisky nose sending him an arselicking letter, saying he wishes him a fast recovery etc :D Would make it even more satisfying if we got one over on him by signing him as well. I don't know much about the player (apart from being impressed with him when we played Liege a while back), but I thought he was more an attacking/playmaking type of player? Probably totally wrong like
Seeing Red

Postby Fauxy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Sami Khedira wouldnt be a bad replacement for Masch imo.

His contract runs out in 2011 so probably wouldnt be tooo expensive!
Fauxy

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:04 pm

bigmick wrote:No brainer for me. Sell Masherano and buy Steven Ireland. I still say this lad would have been my number one transfer priority this season. Gerrards new role for me should be as a sitter with license to step up. Lucas should be a squad player, and we should play Ireland box to box, Cole in the hole with Aquilani as a deputy (I don't think anyone will buy Alberto to be honest).

We'll make money on swapping Masherano for Ireland, we'll get a better defensive midfielder in Gerrard and a top class attacking midfielder in Ireland.

A back4 that has Johnson, Carragher and Agger needs a little more protection than would be provided by Gerrard-Ireland imo...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:26 pm

If he wants to leave then I think we should sell, and a good price would mean we coukd strengthen other areas and add to what has so far been a good summer.

I echo putting Gerrard back in midfield, I feel we have a better chance of dictating games if he is there, I hate to think we would have 2 defensive midfielders in the middle like last year.
That said I actually thought Masch was one of our better players last year, however with a chance to improve the squad I still wouldn't be so dissappointed if he left.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Sean » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Sell Masch and bring in Scott Parker and Wayne Bridge and we'll still have plenty cash left over !
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby In and Out » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:32 pm

I really like Mascherano, I think he is great at what he does. He shows passion and bite and offers us a lot of cover infront of the defense. I wouldn't want to sell him personally, you don't sell your best players especially when players like Cole and Jovanovic are coming into the side. You need to balance the side out and a tough tackler fits the bill to better the team dynamics.

If he is adament in leaving then so be it but IMO it would be imperative to get a player of simialr calibre and nature back in there because if we don't I think we'll rue the day we sold him. If memory serves correctly, Roy Evans' side lacked a ball winner and with a ropey defence we we're as soft as s.hit until Ince was bought in and solidified the midfield. Neither Lucas, Aquillani or Gerrard will not offer us the type of bite in midfield that we'll need.

It's not imperative about using a defensive midfielder for me, but it is imperative we have an expert no nonsense tough tackler mixed in there with the 'creative' lot.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Cattermole?
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:14 pm

bigmick wrote:No brainer for me. Sell Masherano and buy Steven Ireland. I still say this lad would have been my number one transfer priority this season. Gerrards new role for me should be as a sitter with license to step up. Lucas should be a squad player, and we should play Ireland box to box, Cole in the hole with Aquilani as a deputy (I don't think anyone will buy Alberto to be honest).

The way things are going at City he is never going to get into that team, I would love us to make a move for him, as a person he seems a bit of a muppet but he is a fantastic footballer
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Lets sell mash and get Alonso back.

we can dream I suppose.
roberto green

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Don't forget Real are very interested in him.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion