SEBASTIAN COATES - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu May 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Sebastian Coates has told IBTimes UK that he would like to return to Liverpool next season after helping Sunderland secure Premier League survival with an impressive defensive performance in the goalless draw against Arsenal on Wednesday night.

The 24-year-old Uruguay international moved to Liverpool from Nacional in the summer of 2011 after an impressive Copa America campaign in which he was named the best young player of the tournament.

When the centre-half moved to the Premier League initially, he struggled to find form and it was only a matter of time before a serious knee injury ruled him out for selection making his progression process idle.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers sent him on loan to Sunderland in order to secure more game time and Premier League experience.

Life under Gus Poyet at Sunderland provided nothing but negativity for Coates with the club going on a dreadful run. It was only a matter of time before the Stadium of Light saw a new manager and under the stewardship of Dick Advocaat, everything changed for the better.

Coates was a pivotal player under Advocaat and can now set his sights on a return to Anfield after proving himself in England's top flight. He has started the last five league games with clean sheets against Everton, Leicester City and Arsenal.

He was brilliant against the Gunnerz the other night ,I'm hoping he gets another opportunity at Anfield.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri May 22, 2015 12:04 am

Didn't see the game but a mate told me he had a MOTM performance. He said he was excellent.
I hope he does return and gets a fair crack at getting into the team.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby andy c legs » Fri May 22, 2015 7:33 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu May 21, 2015 6:38 pm wrote:Sebastian Coates has told IBTimes UK that he would like to return to Liverpool next season after helping Sunderland secure Premier League survival with an impressive defensive performance in the goalless draw against Arsenal on Wednesday night.

The 24-year-old Uruguay international moved to Liverpool from Nacional in the summer of 2011 after an impressive Copa America campaign in which he was named the best young player of the tournament.

When the centre-half moved to the Premier League initially, he struggled to find form and it was only a matter of time before a serious knee injury ruled him out for selection making his progression process idle.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers sent him on loan to Sunderland in order to secure more game time and Premier League experience.

Life under Gus Poyet at Sunderland provided nothing but negativity for Coates with the club going on a dreadful run. It was only a matter of time before the Stadium of Light saw a new manager and under the stewardship of Dick Advocaat, everything changed for the better.

I did not know that. it's encouraging news. :nod

Coates was a pivotal player under Advocaat and can now set his sights on a return to Anfield after proving himself in England's top flight. He has started the last five league games with clean sheets against Everton, Leicester City and Arsenal.

He was brilliant against the Gunnerz the other night ,I'm hoping he gets another opportunity at Anfield.
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby C-R » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:10 am

Very interesting statistic comparisson between Seba and Lovren here...

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Sunderland Echo is reporting that Sunderland are pushing hard for a permenant deal for Coates

Kind of a shame really, don't think he has had a fair crack of the whip
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:50 am

Liverpool Echo now reporting a 4 million £ deal agreed with Sunderland
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:43 am

Yeah good luck to Seb at Sunderland, if he was given half the chances as say Lovren he'd probably be one of our regular CB's now. It's a bit like the Markovic situation, some players can make mistake after mistake and still be in the team but others can spend half a season on the bench after making just one.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:36 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:43 am wrote:Yeah good luck to Seb at Sunderland, if he was given half the chances as say Lovren he'd probably be one of our regular CB's now. It's a bit like the Markovic situation, some players can make mistake after mistake and still be in the team but others can spend half a season on the bench after making just one.

AGREED!
Don't like to see players not get their chance, especially with this so call "bring through youth' policy that we now have in place.
The guy was voted the best in previous Copa America - Go figure, what do we know?
Probably end up like POGBA!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:38 pm

johnbarnes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:36 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:43 am wrote:Yeah good luck to Seb at Sunderland, if he was given half the chances as say Lovren he'd probably be one of our regular CB's now. It's a bit like the Markovic situation, some players can make mistake after mistake and still be in the team but others can spend half a season on the bench after making just one.

AGREED!
Don't like to see players not get their chance, especially with this so call "bring through youth' policy that we now have in place.
The guy was voted the best in previous Copa America - Go figure, what do we know?
Probably end up like POGBA!

The lad didn't get off to the most stellar of starts with us plus early injury didn't help his cause, but imo (and apparently many others) there's some quality there.

Once again, for me at least, there's massive questions to be answered about not only our recruitment of "players with potential" policy but even more importantly what the f'uck we actually do to encourage and realise that observed (?) potential !

The lad was never given a real chance or even a whiff of support by the suits and shiny teeth currently running our club.

Very best of luck to Coates, can only hope he goes on to have a more than succesful career and quadruples his valuation in the process   :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 pm

I like Brendan but it's pretty obvious which players are committee signings and which players are his.
I think Ilorri and Markovic are the type of young talented players that we should be building the team around but it wouldn't surprise me if they go the same way as Seb at some point in the future.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:41 am

It was always on the cards ,even when it was evident he was our best defender in pre season the concept of already having a ball playing 'intelligent defender'
in our ranks completely escaped management .....and Tiago Ilori will be no different !

Good luck Seb ,now go prove the dolt wrong.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:35 am

I don't think Coates has the quality and this is a good move for all concerned.

He has some good qualities but isn't dominant enough for his size and is slow on the turn.

Agree though he's no worse than Lovren and he hasn't had many chances here.

Good luck to him.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Sebs qualities include intelligent positioning ,he's comfortable with the ball at his feet, and his distribution is arguably the best at the club since Gerrard
left   ...I'd say those attributes far outweigh being slow in the turn ,I mean you couldn't be more sluggish in the turn than Carragher and look what he brought
to the party..... I think this one will come back to haunt us ,I really do  :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Not sure about the intelligent positioning. We'll see.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Good move for everyone - didn't ever really convince he was good enough when called upon - big lack of pace and positioning was poor - good in the air and strong in the tackle - will do well at Sunderland
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion