Reserve and academy news - All posts here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby the return of HAS » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:18 pm

O.K I have a bit of time to kill and am very bored so I made a teenage eleven. Coady, Robinson and Suso are away at the under 19s EUROs. Flanagan, Wisdom, Baio, Sterling and Teixeira are training with the first team squad.

Ward

Flanagan     Coady     Wisdom     Robinson

Baio     Dunn

Sterling     Teixeira     Suso

Morgan
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:49 am

You can make an argument for Belford over Ward, I have seen more of him, but it seems that the club rates Ward higher.  Belford seems like one of those who they used to have really high hopes on, but now, maybe not so much.

Coady at CB is a bit iffy.  Dunn can play anywhere.  You could def play an Italian like 3 man midfield with Baio, Coady, and Dunn, but then who would play CB.  Depending on who this team is going up against, you could put Robinson at CB and Brad Smith, who has electric pace, at LB.  Also, Suso is not someone I would want primarily on the wing.  He can beat a man on the win one-on-one with his dribbling, but he is not a threat to make runs behind the defense. He is very useful in a deep lying playmaker role like Alonso, but he also has a bit of Iniesta to him, where he can be effective in receiving a pass around the edge of the box, spotting a run, and playing a 'killer' pass behind the defense, and then he has a little bit of Robben in him where he does that come in from the right wing, go left, left, left, and then shoot. 

So far I have seen more of Teixeira playing against Liverpool than for Liverpool, but he did play really well. I do know that Adorjan plays that role very well, in the style of an Ozil.

Up top, Morgan would be the popular pick, If I were a wall street trader, I would short Morgan stock.  He is someone you want to root for, but I just don't see him being a prolific goal scorer against higher level competition.  Ngoo would be the one with all the potential that scouts would drool over, but I don't see him realizing that potential.  Too much poor body language on the pitch, and he tries to play like someone who is more skilled than he actually is, instead of focusing on becoming a dominant ariel threat (something that at his size, would at minimum, earn him a spot on a PL or championship squad for the next 12 years).  Villyan Bijev is the almost complete unknown in the teenage striker department.  Looked impressive last summer, but he was playing against kids 1 and 2 years younger.

Other notable teens: Nacho (not a great athlete, spent a lot of last year injured, but very Spanish on the ball), Jordan Lussey (really solid midfield player, offers a lot going forward, skilled on the ball, while he is no Mascherano, he isn't a slouch on defense either), Toni Silva (very talented on the ball, maybe not with everything working right in his approach to the game, a little too one dimensional, a little too hit or miss, but can still come up with magic), Ryan McLaughlin (can't not LOVE this kid, an absolute monster getting forward from RB, plays the game hard), Kristoffer Peterson ( skillful, knows where the goal is, can beat a man, can cross somewhat accurately, pretty solid overall footballer, pretty good athlete, only question is, is he special enough?) Jordan Ibe (very talented player in the Sterling realm of talents, still very young, need to see more), Marc Pelosi (very versatile, great attitude on the pitch, decent athlete, decent skill, injury issues).
JoeTerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:53 am

JoeTerp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 am wrote:You can make an argument for Belford over Ward, I have seen more of him, but it seems that the club rates Ward higher.  Belford seems like one of those who they used to have really high hopes on, but now, maybe not so much.

Coady at CB is a bit iffy.  Dunn can play anywhere.  You could def play an Italian like 3 man midfield with Baio, Coady, and Dunn, but then who would play CB.  Depending on who this team is going up against, you could put Robinson at CB and Brad Smith, who has electric pace, at LB.  Also, Suso is not someone I would want primarily on the wing.  He can beat a man on the win one-on-one with his dribbling, but he is not a threat to make runs behind the defense. He is very useful in a deep lying playmaker role like Alonso, but he also has a bit of Iniesta to him, where he can be effective in receiving a pass around the edge of the box, spotting a run, and playing a 'killer' pass behind the defense, and then he has a little bit of Robben in him where he does that come in from the right wing, go left, left, left, and then shoot. 

So far I have seen more of Teixeira playing against Liverpool than for Liverpool, but he did play really well. I do know that Adorjan plays that role very well, in the style of an Ozil.

Up top, Morgan would be the popular pick, If I were a wall street trader, I would short Morgan stock.  He is someone you want to root for, but I just don't see him being a prolific goal scorer against higher level competition.  Ngoo would be the one with all the potential that scouts would drool over, but I don't see him realizing that potential.  Too much poor body language on the pitch, and he tries to play like someone who is more skilled than he actually is, instead of focusing on becoming a dominant ariel threat (something that at his size, would at minimum, earn him a spot on a PL or championship squad for the next 12 years).  Villyan Bijev is the almost complete unknown in the teenage striker department.  Looked impressive last summer, but he was playing against kids 1 and 2 years younger.

Other notable teens: Nacho (not a great athlete, spent a lot of last year injured, but very Spanish on the ball), Jordan Lussey (really solid midfield player, offers a lot going forward, skilled on the ball, while he is no Mascherano, he isn't a slouch on defense either), Toni Silva (very talented on the ball, maybe not with everything working right in his approach to the game, a little too one dimensional, a little too hit or miss, but can still come up with magic), Ryan McLaughlin (can't not LOVE this kid, an absolute monster getting forward from RB, plays the game hard), Kristoffer Peterson ( skillful, knows where the goal is, can beat a man, can cross somewhat accurately, pretty solid overall footballer, pretty good athlete, only question is, is he special enough?) Jordan Ibe (very talented player in the Sterling realm of talents, still very young, need to see more), Marc Pelosi (very versatile, great attitude on the pitch, decent athlete, decent skill, injury issues).

Welcome back Joe .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:18 pm

I really enjoyed reading this so I thought I would share it with the forum .
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodolfo-from-rubi-to-kirkby

Rodolfo: From Rubi to Kirkby

Rodolfo Borrell's love for football was nurtured by long days passed as a youngster watching players train from the balcony of his family's apartment in Rubi, a short train journey down the coast from Barcelona.

When he reached the age of eight, he would wander down to pitchside to study the game at close-quarters, familiarise himself with the tactics, learn to understand the dynamics and the workings on the field.

It was there he laid the foundations for a career that would take him from Rubi to Liverpool's Academy in Kirkby via some of the greatest footballers on the planet.

During his first coaching spell at local side Cornella, where he oversaw the development of children aged six to nine, Rodolfo set his heart on coaching at Barcelona and one day he decided to do something that would set the ball rolling on ensuring he got his dream move to La Masia.

"I organised a meeting with the parents and explained to them that I was an ambitious coach that wanted to represent Barcelona," Rodolfo told the Official LFC Weekly Magazine. "They looked at me like I was crazy.

"I said to achieve that, this team needed to be magnificent. With the help of parents in terms of extra training, we could achieve anything. Rather than doing two days, we would do four days while also arranging extra activities like swimming."

Within months Rodolfo's team were putting 10 goals a time past helpless opposition and his youngsters had become the talk of the town. In January 1994 Barcelona scouts came to see for themselves just what all the fuss was about.

"When I saw the scouts, I realised this was everything I had been working for," he said. "As always we were magnificent and by half-time we had a healthy lead. And at half-time a guy from Barcelona told me how impressed they were.
They told me they wanted my Cornella to play them in a trial match for everybody. So we went there a few days later and beat them 5-0. A little Cornella team beat Barcelona with Barcelona not really crossing the halfway line."

A display of power, poise and possession football ensured Rodolfo was offered the job at Barcelona and his talent shone through as he made a swift ascent through the youth coaching ranks. However, one factor would prove a constant hindrance to his progress there.

"I spent one season coaching at the Barcelona school, one season with the U11s, two years with the U12s, four seasons in the U14s and three seasons with the U16s and two with the U17s," said Rodolfo. "But the truth is, unless you are a famous player, it is very difficult to progress as a coach beyond that level.

"When I became the first person who wasn't a famous former player to break the line of the 16s and become U17s coach - that was a big thing at the club."

During his time at Barcelona, Rodolfo coached some of the finest payers in world football. The backbone of his all-conquering U14 squad from 2000-01 comprised of Gerard Pique, Cesc Fabregas and Lionel Messi.

"I was fortunate to coach many of the great players in world football we see now," admitted Rodolfo. "You can never say that a player is 100 per cent going to be a professional footballer. You cannot raise a teenager's expectations. His belief has to come from within.

"Ability always comes first when you are young, But later, mentality is just as important. Obviously, I knew the parents of all these players; I knew they were coming from good families in terms of structure. Good mentality, focus and discipline - they had the right balance between studying and playing football."

He soon realised that he could not progress further than the U17s with Barcelona and so opted for a change, making the switch to Greek side Iraklis along with former youth coach and colleague Angel Pedraza. However, it would prove to be a turbulent time for the former Barcelona pair.

Pedraza was sacked quickly and Rodolfo took up the reins as manager, only to part company with the club after a respectable run of results.

But Barcelona came calling once more. A phone call this time, from Jose Ramon Alexanko, the man who lifted the European Cup as Barcelona captain when the club won the trophy for the first time under Johan Cruyff in 1992, confirmed the offer.

"He wanted me to go back as an international scout and in the summer, take over at U17 level again," said Rodolfo. "I was very pleased. I travelled a lot, eastern Europe, central Africa."

In the summer of 2009, Rodolfo received another phone call which would alter the path of his career and bring him to England.

"Hello, I'm Rafa Benitez. Do you know who I am?" said the voice on the other end of the line.

I did not know him personally, only from the TV," admitted Rodolfo. "He told me his vision for the Academy and that Pep Segura would be involved. Would I be interested in coming? I did not know. Could I leave Barcelona for a second time?

"He said I would be in charge of the U18s, which was a promotion. I discussed it at length with my wife. I could not turn Liverpool down.  I think I am the only person in the history of Barcelona to choose to leave the club twice."

Rodolfo's first task was to ensure the reserve teams at Liverpool were playing more regularly than just once every three weeks.

"Since I have been here, there has been an improvement in many areas of youth development generally," he explained. "For example, two years ago the reserve team squad had just one game every three weeks.

"It is very difficult to work day in, day out with the right focus and motivation - the right mentality to improve every day - if you don't have a game at the end of every week.

"I have never been in this situation before, but if your next game is in three weeks' time, how can you prepare for that across three weeks? Thankfully, this has been corrected. The arrival of the NextGeneration Series has been very positive (because there are more games) and with the help of our secretaries at the Academy, Danny Stanway and Zoe Ward, we worked very hard last summer to reschedule everything.

"I told him the aim must be to have a game week in, week out for the benefit of continuity. He did a great job. We played 31 official games last season with the Reserves. This is very, very important."

One player who Rodolfo has nurtured during his time on Merseyside has been Raheem Sterling.

The youngster joined from Queens Park Rangers in February 2010 with a reputation for pace and flair and the talented winger became the club's third youngest player of all time when he featured as a substitute in a 2-1 defeat to Wigan on March 24, 2012 - aged 17.

"There is a lot to be positive about," insisted Rodolfo. "We have a lot of very good players with different attributes. A lot of people talk about Raheem Sterling, but there are others of course - players that have played under me and are now with the first team a lot more.

"I have had the pleasure to be Raheem's only coach since he arrived here (from QPR), progressing through the ranks. I am pleased to see the player has made a lot of improvement in many areas.

"Obviously talent is talent and he came with many, many interesting things; that's why he was signed by Liverpool Football Club. But we have been working hard with him on improving parts of the game where he could get better. It is important to get the right balance between the talent and everything else."

Another of Rodolfo's Liverpool proteges has been local lad Jon Flanagan, who came to the attention of most Kopites at the age of 18 when injuries meant he was handed a shock debut by Kenny Dalglish against big-spending Manchester City at Anfield.

"Flanno is another type of player," said Rodolfo. "When I came to the club, with Pep Segura and Frank McParland, it is true that almost no-one expected anything interesting in relation to our first-team with Flanagan at that moment in time.

"We tried to give him good advice. He took it on board and worked really hard. He has great determination and passion for the club. He's a winner in all the tackles. With the right focus, he has shown he can be a very good player in the first-team. This is a pleasure for me because the club brought me here to help with these kinds of things as I had done before.

"So I am grateful and thankful of the efforts from the players like Flanagan, Robinson and Sterling too. They haven't already made it, but they are around the first-team and with hard work they can improve."

Unsung heroes  :buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:17 pm

http://www.herald.ie/sport/other-sports/dublin-schoolboy-conor-13-signs-to-liverpool-for-1m-3186509.html?

Dalglish, a major influence on the lad accepting Liverpool instead of the Mancs and Chelsea .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:47 pm

so it will be another 5 or 6 years till we know how good he is

cool
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:37 pm

At least some of the youngsters will get a game for a change!
Eagle

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:43 pm

off to watch the under 21's against boro in a bit! should be good.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby sgs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Really good game tonight vs Inter 4-1

Really impressed by Coady; reminds u a bit of Javi Martinez and no just in the physical build but his tactical awareness
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am

any reports we can read d'you know?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Reg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 am wrote:any reports we can read d'you know?

Mclaughlin the right back assisted 3 of the goals
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kartiek » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

sgs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 pm wrote:Really good game tonight vs Inter 4-1

Really impressed by Coady; reminds u a bit of Javi Martinez and no just in the physical build but his tactical awareness

The whole game was great to watch. The u19s played exactly the same way as our first team - the Rodgers style has been drilled into them as well. The stand out performers were McLaughlin, Coady, Pelosi and Yessil for taking his chances really well. And I agree, I was most impressed by Coady - his calm, composure, tackling, and passing vision seem already developed.
kartiek

Postby metalhead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Here are the highlights in case anyone missed it

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwlqun_ka1239z-2_sport#.UO1_8LZAG0k
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm

i saw the game on LFC tv last night, tbh i didnt even know it was on, i was just flicking through the channels on the telly and saw aldo, neil mellor and claire rourke sitting in a studio with a pitch/stands etc in the background and just stumbled across it by luck really.
it was a good game though and well worth watching.
i was a bit dissappointed in adorjan`s performance, every other time i`ve seen him play he looks really good on the ball but he had a poor game last night.
the players that stood out to me though were the fullback mclaughlin and the number 11 ibe, that lad goes past defenders like they aren`t even there.
he`s similar to sterling but he`s got a heavier build, a better comparison would be oxlade-chamberlain i suppose.
our CB, the tall welsh lad (i cant remember his name), was lucky to stay on the pitch imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Ngoo's goal for Hearts on his first appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aWRImp1gCc
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion