Reina influenced by the kop

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:48 pm

PEPE: I'D NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE KOP

Jimmy Rice 15 February 2007

Pepe Reina has revealed his decision to join Liverpool was heavily influenced by his memories of the Kop when he visited Anfield with Barcelona. 
The Spaniard kept goal for Barca when they visited Merseyside for the UEFA Cup semi-final in 2001.

"Something that will always stay with me is the special reception I got when I made my way to the Kop goal," the 24-year-old told LFC Magazine.

"Everyone was clapping. I thought it must be for some of the Liverpool players, so I turned round but there was nobody there.

"When I realised it was for me I started applauding the crowd. I returned their respect and the Kop cheered loudly.

"It was magnificent. I have never seen anything like that anywhere else. I was an opposition player – I didn't imagine I'd be on the other side in a couple of years.

"When Rafa asked me if I wanted to come to Liverpool, that was something I immediately thought of. I was very proud to move here because we have some of the best fans in the world."

Reina also confessed his excitement at returning to Barca next week.

He said: "Going back to the Camp Nou is going to be very special for me. It makes me happy, not just because it's Barca, but because it's a fantastic venue with great people and great fans.

"I don't feel I have anything to prove going back there. I want to win but not because I want to get revenge or anything like that. If I'd spent 10 years there it would have been brilliant but that didn't happen. I have no regrets.

"I spent two years there and took a lot of positives from that spell. I learnt a lot and will be grateful to the club for the rest of my life.

"All of Europe will be watching and we want to be in the draw for the next round."

It gets the goosebumps going just thinking about next week

:buttrock   good lad Pepe.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Liverpool's Crowd is the best of the world. End of.

"Something that will always stay with me is the special reception I got when I made my way to the Kop goal," the 24-year-old told LFC Magazine.

"Everyone was clapping. I thought it must be for some of the Liverpool players, so I turned round but there was nobody there.

We do that in RS stadium aswell, but not a whole stand, but a bunch of 200-300 old hard-core supporters. It's an old tradition to clap and salute the keeper when he comes.

I'm happy to read that, thanks.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:07 pm

Yes it's tradition Sabre, but the kop let them know if the keeper doesn't applaud back. Boooooooooooos all around.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:25 pm

Yeh, that's classic, but I have a doubt, the KOP doesn't do that with every oposition player right? I mean there is not that respect towards the Chelsea keeper, for instance?
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:35 pm

Sabre wrote:Yeh, that's classic, but I have a doubt, the KOP doesn't do that with every oposition player right? I mean there is not that respect towards the Chelsea keeper, for instance?

there is indeed applause for the chelsea goalkeeper. Every single visiting keeper gets the applause. It's a great sight.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:21 am

Just another reason why we are the best fans in the land.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:20 am

it has gone on since the 60s sabre, the oppo goalie always gets a great round of applause at the kop end, and goalies used to know to applaud back.

i remember when clemence first returned to anfield with spurs, that was special
112-1077774096

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:53 am

Can anyone find any pics of Pepe in goal that night against us? 

The reason I ask is that a few days after that game, the Echo showed Gary Mac's pen mid flight just after he'd kicked the ball.

There was four of my mates about three rows back behind the goal in the Anny Road just about to burst cause we'd scored.  You can see them dead clearly.
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:54 am

Sabre wrote:Yeh, that's classic, but I have a doubt, the KOP doesn't do that with every oposition player right? I mean there is not that respect towards the Chelsea keeper, for instance?

Even Tim Howard got clapped at the Derby the other week but there were plenty of boos as well!!   :D

Some lad behind me was screaming that we shouldn't be clapping him, but it's what the Kop do.
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:09 am

This is the photo I'm on about.
jonnymac1979

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:31 am

Thanks for the explanations, and yes, it's impressive. While in other stadiums of Europe you can see courtesy, they do not reach that.

Anfield is so especial for so many things!
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:24 pm

The one exception as far as I can remember on the practice of applauding the opposition Keeper was Scheimecal not just cos he played for the Mancs but because he's a :censored: ! :D

More recently we applauded Van Der Sarr last season at Anfield and although it's hard to do because of who he plays for it's simply part of the tradition.

The KOP have always appreciated Goalkeepers and used to love Shilton in the 80's. I remember the late 80's when Shilton was in the papers for all the wrong reasons and the KOP appuded him as normal then started chanting "Tina, Tina, Tina" (the name of the bint he was playing away with) . Shilts went redder than the Liverpool players shirts ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:48 am

Clem was the best...when he returned with Spurs. Top fella.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Crouchamania » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:27 pm

Which 1 is you Jonny?
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby Crouchamania » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:31 pm

Or were you not there coz it just says "four of my mates"
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n