Reina

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 24, 2005 3:48 pm

Erica wrote:My boyfriend has taught me English in less than two years. :D  :D

:wwww

:D  Yeah , but goalkeepers aren't sayin' "Don' stop don't stop don't stop ! aaaarrghhhh,  Yes  "     :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 24, 2005 4:04 pm

Woof woof again i completely disagree with you.

Had we had Owen and Cech instead of Dudek and Baros this season we'd have walked 4th place and probably even pushed United and Arsenal.

The amount of games we lose because of a goalkeeping error OR missed chances by a striker is a serious problem.

The reason (under Houllier) even last season, this team was often better away from home was one reason. Michael Owen. He scored goals away and at home. We won alot of games because he scored a goal. I remember the season we finished second. To me that proves what i'm saying. Owen on fire upfront and at the time probably the best keeper in the league (Dudek).

Had we had Babbel instead of Carragher on the right and one decent winger as apose to Smicer or Murphy then we'd have been even stronger. If you have a great keeper and a goalscorer you always have a chance against anyone.

The other point is, i think the defenders we have are very good. I don't think we have anyone thats world class or even top class (Carragher possibly because he plays for the shirt). But Riise, Warnock, Hyypia, Carragher and Finnan all have good ability. With a superb keeper behind them that would give them all a confidence boost and someone who could organise and take control when a defender loses hsi concentration and would tighten up a defence which has conceeded ALOT of soft goals this season.

A goalkeeper should be the top priority in the summer. I won't say a striker as i believe Cisse, Morientes, Luis Garcia and Sinama-Pongolle all deserve a chance.

But in my eyes, those two positions are ALWAYS the most important in any team.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 24, 2005 4:38 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Woof woof again i completely disagree with you.

Had we had Owen and Cech instead of Dudek and Baros this season we'd have walked 4th place and probably even pushed United and Arsenal.

The amount of games we lose because of a goalkeeping error OR missed chances by a striker is a serious problem.

The reason (under Houllier) even last season, this team was often better away from home was one reason. Michael Owen. He scored goals away and at home. We won alot of games because he scored a goal. I remember the season we finished second. To me that proves what i'm saying. Owen on fire upfront and at the time probably the best keeper in the league (Dudek).

Had we had Babbel instead of Carragher on the right and one decent winger as apose to Smicer or Murphy then we'd have been even stronger. If you have a great keeper and a goalscorer you always have a chance against anyone.

The other point is, i think the defenders we have are very good. I don't think we have anyone thats world class or even top class (Carragher possibly because he plays for the shirt). But Riise, Warnock, Hyypia, Carragher and Finnan all have good ability. With a superb keeper behind them that would give them all a confidence boost and someone who could organise and take control when a defender loses hsi concentration and would tighten up a defence which has conceeded ALOT of soft goals this season.

A goalkeeper should be the top priority in the summer. I won't say a striker as i believe Cisse, Morientes, Luis Garcia and Sinama-Pongolle all deserve a chance.

But in my eyes, those two positions are ALWAYS the most important in any team.

Stu ,I'm not disagreeing with your assertion that the strikers and goalkeeping role are vital to a teams success , all i'm suggesting is that Dudek is not as "poor" as he is made out to be and imo with Carson and Kirland the goalkeeping dept is not in crisis. If we had unlimited funds (like Chelski) I would cast around for a better keeper ,however on a limited budget I think it's a question of priorites and mine would be wide left and right of midfield and a top central defender .

I'd also look more closely at our strike force .Lets face it Cisse and Morientes are still  proving themselves and Baros isn't cutting it .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 24, 2005 8:17 pm

But my point is simple.

With a better keeper we will conceed less goals.

We will lose less games. Dudek, Carson and Kirkland are nowhere good enough. Dudek gets beaten at his near post to often, doesn't command his box properly and his distribution is painfully slow. He never releases the ball quickly, he stands there with his hand up and waits for the opposition to regain shape. Kirkland doesn't have the reflexes he once had, is very static and is very slow off his line. Carson is a kid with potential but hasn't a clue how to communicate or command his box and is nowhere near decisive enough as yet.

The two most important positions in any team are strikers and goalkeepers. They are our two weakest positions. As i said, i'd give the lads upfront a real chance first. Sinama-Pongolle, Luis Garcia, Morientes and Cisse deserve a chance.

We don't need a centre back. Thats not a priority at all. All this we need pace at the back business is bloody stupid. We need quality, not pace. Traore provides pace, but not quality. Warnock or Riise, Hyypia, Carragher and Finnan is a very solid defense and probably as good as anything in the league with the exception of Chelsea.

goalkeeper
striker (or someone to come good out of the existing bunch)
wide left
wide right
then a centre half are the priorities.... in that order.

If its true about Benitez wanting a new Keeper then this says to me he agrees on the first priority. I've said it before, Hyypia gets caught out wide for pace, why is he out wide in the first place? Because the LEFT BACK (usually Traore) isn't in the correct position. Apart from pace, Sami doesn't have any other major faults. His concentration and influence and ability to command a backline are second to probably only John Terry in the league.

I do agree we need the wide positions strengthening but
as i said, with Owen and Cech as apose to Dudek and Baros, this season we'd have been easily a top four side and pushed United and Arsenal all the way. With two wide players we might have created more chances but we'd still have conceeded sloppy goals and had no-one there to finish the sackfull of chances we've created.

We desperately need first and foremost, someone who can score at any ground in the country and a keeper who can pull of match winning saves and give an already very strong defence extra confidence. With those two players, we're half way there. Remember Cech's save against Baros in the first leg against Chelsea? World class. Kept in them in with a good chance. If it was a league game, thats the difference in 1 point or none or 1 or 3, depending on how you want to look at it.

I'd like to see...

Robinson for the goalkeepers slot.
Owen for the striker.
Downing for the left wing.

But thats another story.

Are you telling me that you honestly think Hyypia and Carragher are our worst players?

Heres my take on it...

Alonso
Gerrard
Morientes
Carragher/Hyypia
Riise/Luis Garcia
Finnan

?_?_?_?_?   Morientes
?_?_?_?_?   Gerrard   Alonso  ?_?_?_?_?
    Riise       Hyypia Carragher  Finnan
                     ?_?_?_?_?

Thats how far we are from having a GREAT side imo. With squad players like Cisse, Pongolle, Luis Garcia for the strikers space i'd give them all a chance as i feel they all deserve it. Then a keeper, then the two wide areas.
115-1073096938

Postby XSD » Tue May 24, 2005 8:31 pm

Garcia is deserving a place on the right, he is good enough.
Finnan and Hyypia could be replaced, maybe Riise too, you definetely can't keep the same back 4 if we want a "world class side" no way.
Morientes was never going to be a long term option, I'm confident Cisse will come good.
Buy Owen Hargreaves and play 5 across midfield and one upfront, that would be fine.

That means we need a left winger, centre mid, a keeper and at least 2 defenders.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue May 24, 2005 8:37 pm

Why does everyone put riise back to left back when he's had probably one of his most successful seasons at anfield?
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue May 24, 2005 8:39 pm

Because he is not Damien Duff is he?
Good left winger, scored some goals, he is not a title winning left winger though. Defenders aren't losing so much sleep over him. Someone like Vicente there would show you the difference.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue May 24, 2005 10:00 pm

We need a CB, I wouldn't sell Hyypia but we need to replace him. Whilst he's been solid in the Champions League he hasn't been consistant in the Premiership as many times his lack of pace has been exposed and at times he's made poor decisions or marked his man poorely that led to the opposition scoring a goal.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 24, 2005 11:32 pm

We need a CB, I wouldn't sell Hyypia but we need to replace him. Whilst he's been solid in the Champions League he hasn't been consistant in the Premiership as many times his lack of pace has been exposed and at times he's made poor decisions or marked his man poorely that led to the opposition scoring a goal.

How many times?

Hyypia gets exposed by playing left and centre back at once. When he's next to a good full back he ALWAYS has a good game. Traore doesn't cover Sami AT ALL and ALWAYS leaves him exposed and its not good enough.

We a centre back is NOT a priority.
115-1073096938

Postby Garyfitz14 » Tue May 24, 2005 11:35 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:Why does everyone put riise back to left back when he's had probably one of his most successful seasons at anfield?

I agree with you, Houllier played him at Left Back for years and he never impressed really. He only impressed when he got foward and used that special left foot of his, hasnt he hit some great goals this season.
Garyfitz14

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 25, 2005 12:16 am

He's been our best LM for many a year . Let Warnock and Traore sort out the LB position . Riise is a little gem at LM .
Like you infer , how many times has he popped up in the box with a screamer  .
And when not pushing up combines perfectly in defence with whoever is playin' at LB whilst still maintaining the threat of bursting forward  .

Grossly underestimated for his contribution by some fans .
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed May 25, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 25, 2005 12:28 am

woof woof ! wrote:He's been our best LM for many a year .

Grossly underestimated for his contribution by some fans .

Agree with this Woof. Riise has had a blinder this season and i can't think of another player doing a better job there in recent years.

However, like Stu, i believe he can be doing that for us from the left back spot next season. This season must have given the lad massive confidence going forward.

Look at just about every championship winning side there has ever been and you will always find full-backs (at least one) who are as adept at attacking as they are at defending. these players are like gold dust and it looks like we might have one in Riise.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Wed May 25, 2005 12:31 am

I'd rather have Evra + Vicente and use Riise as a squad player. He's had a great season and I really like the fella for his dedication and spirit, but there is Evra who is a better player, if we could get him we would have to.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 25, 2005 12:39 am

XSD wrote:I'd rather have Evra + Vicente and use Riise as a squad player. He's had a great season and I really like the fella for his dedication and spirit, but there is Evra who is a better player, if we could get him we would have to.

Would be a massive kick in the nuts for to replace a player who's just had his best season for the club with some guy who has great stats on champ man and a decent write-up in the tabloids.

Give me a Riise anyday.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 25, 2005 1:01 am

Exactly. Theres no reason Riise can't be as good as Ashley Cole or at least in a similar class. He's certainly stronger and has more stamina and he's better in the air. He's got a better shot, can score goals.

Riise has to improve his touch and desire to get forward when playing at left back, but apart from that he's got a good mix of everythingand could reach this level. In my opinion he could be one of our key players for years to come with Alonso, Carragher, Gerrard and Cisse.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion