Rafa " why i signed torres and not owen " - Gbjh this one is for you

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:07 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Torres will get better and better.

Manhattan predicts that next season in the Prem Torres will score between 50-80 goals.

:bowdown optimistic eh , i don't think so mate , well whats the odds on that ? Nanny might fancy a bet  :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:10 am

LFC2007 wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Owen at his best never scored 20 league goals for us....Torres is pretty close to getting 20 goals....

Torres rules.....  :buttrock

Agreed, what a great signing by Rafa.

He must be some sort of genius.

And also hicks and gilette for signing the cheque....  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:11 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:It's amazing how football changes a person's opinion. I remember after the Botlon game "4-2-3-1 doesn't suit Torres" now he's being held in the same level as Rush.

Also anyone remember Newcastle away...5 sittes Mr Torres missed. :D (everyone is allowed a bad game I suppose)

To be fair, that was Saint who felt that the formation didn't suit Torres and he seems to be sticking to that based on his post in the match thread.  He's definitely one of our most consistent posters, particularly when it comes to championing 4-4-2.  :D

Well I'm with saint, I would rather have us play 4-4-2. That's the formation, I was brought up on, but while we're winning I wouldn't change anything just yet.

i second that , i'm not a big fan of a lone striker , as i feel the striker would get isolated against a better defense , this formation has worked , against less capable teams , you could argue that it worked against inter but it wasn't torres who got the goal , it was kuyt . Like GBJH has said , never change a winning formula
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:57 pm

Rush Job wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:It's amazing how football changes a person's opinion. I remember after the Botlon game "4-2-3-1 doesn't suit Torres" now he's being held in the same level as Rush.

Also anyone remember Newcastle away...5 sittes Mr Torres missed. :D (everyone is allowed a bad game I suppose)

To be fair, that was Saint who felt that the formation didn't suit Torres and he seems to be sticking to that based on his post in the match thread.  He's definitely one of our most consistent posters, particularly when it comes to championing 4-4-2.  :D

Well I'm with saint, I would rather have us play 4-4-2. That's the formation, I was brought up on, but while we're winning I wouldn't change anything just yet.

I thought we played with four up front in your day :D

It was eight at times. Keegan, Toshack, Heighway, McDermott, Case, Callaghan, Joey Jones and Phil Neal all bombing forward. No wonder we won  :D
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby mighty mo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:09 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:On the flip side of this, will those who've already expressed that Torres IS BETTER than Owen come back and admit they were wrong, if Torres only scores ten goals over the next two years?

It's possible (very unlikely and I desperately hope it doesn't happen) but if it does, then will people bemoaning about "a one season wonder". It's very possible that defenders COULD figure out how to stop him. It's also possible that he just has a bad season and can't find the back of the net. Likewise he could end up like Heskey or Kuyt and have to play out of position. That's why I'm reserving me judgement on what seems to be a world star for a couple of years. If he proves to be a man who nails 30 goals a season in all competitions reguarlly I'll be a very happy man. If it's a one season wonder then I wonder how many people will want to revert back to this topic.

are you michael owen in disguise, you have a deep rooted ignorance towards torress and admiration for the past it owen? ???? ????
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:03 pm

Thank God he did not sign Owen instead of Torres, that would have been a disaster.  Although I wouldn't mind seeing Owen here instead of Voronin or Crouch.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Torres25 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:08 pm

Ive alwasy said this is Torres fave position but it is funny how every1s startin 2 jump on this formations bandwagon now isnt it :)

People say defenders could figure him out next season but look at the range of goals he scores its like the spanish coach said he never scores the same goal twice

u cant figure out or stop a world class player becoz they can do it all & Torres 4 me has always been in that bracket
Torres25

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:31 pm

Torres25 wrote:Ive alwasy said this is Torres fave position but it is funny how every1s startin 2 jump on this formations bandwagon now isnt it :)

People say defenders could figure him out next season but look at the range of goals he scores its like the spanish coach said he never scores the same goal twice

u cant figure out or stop a world class player becoz they can do it all & Torres 4 me has always been in that bracket

you may have a point... and I do hope so...  :)
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:35 pm

mighty mo wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:On the flip side of this, will those who've already expressed that Torres IS BETTER than Owen come back and admit they were wrong, if Torres only scores ten goals over the next two years?

It's possible (very unlikely and I desperately hope it doesn't happen) but if it does, then will people bemoaning about "a one season wonder". It's very possible that defenders COULD figure out how to stop him. It's also possible that he just has a bad season and can't find the back of the net. Likewise he could end up like Heskey or Kuyt and have to play out of position. That's why I'm reserving me judgement on what seems to be a world star for a couple of years. If he proves to be a man who nails 30 goals a season in all competitions reguarlly I'll be a very happy man. If it's a one season wonder then I wonder how many people will want to revert back to this topic.

are you michael owen in disguise, you have a deep rooted ignorance towards torress and admiration for the past it owen? ???? ????

I agree with gbjh here... torres has some ways to go before matching owen's achievements for liverpool... but he has the potential to be even better than owen...and I put it down to his versatility, football intelligence and his physique...(in the finishing department owen IMO is still better)... if torres doesn't suffer major injuries *touch wood* then he's on the right track...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:44 pm

mighty mo wrote:

I wonder why I admire Owen? Maybe the goals he scored for a sustained period. Maybe the games he won single handedly. Maybe it's because he could win these games with all of the pressure being upon his young shoulders. Maybe it's because he was a top class player despite being injured for long periods of his career. Anybody who supports Liverpool and doesn't have an admiration for Michael Owen, isn't a genuine Liverpool fan.

Likewise anybody who thinks Torres is useless isn't a geniune fan of this club. I don't think he's useless and I don't think he's a one season wonder which is why I've said I'll admit Torres is a better forward than Owen if or rather when Torres has scored 60 league goals in his first four years at Liverpool.

But for you to question me why I have a love for Owen is a complete and utter joke.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:35 pm

As far as Owen goes, I almost felt sorry for him playing for Newcastle against us yesterday.

There are no doubts that he's not the player he once was, but had it not been for injuries and some very poor career choices then he could still be part of the set up at Liverpool today.  He should have won a lot more trophies with the talent he had. 

Having said that, part of me doesn't feel sorry for him and thinks 'what comes around goes around'.  This is the guy who told us he would sign a new deal, only to turn his back on us and sign for Madrid in a cut-price deal.  We got 8 million for a player worth at least twice that, right at the time when the club was at a very low point.  It still sickens me to think about it.  Taking all things into account, I think it would be a bad move to ever bring him back to Liverpool now.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:36 pm

mighty mo wrote:

I wonder why I admire Owen? Maybe the goals he scored for a sustained period. Maybe the games he won single handedly. Maybe it's because he could win these games with all of the pressure being upon his young shoulders. Maybe it's because he was a top class player despite being injured for long periods of his career. Anybody who supports Liverpool and doesn't have an admiration for Michael Owen, isn't a genuine Liverpool fan.

Likewise anybody who thinks Torres is useless isn't a geniune fan of this club. I don't think he's useless and I don't think he's a one season wonder which is why I've said I'll admit Torres is a better forward than Owen if or rather when Torres has scored 60 league goals in his first four years at Liverpool.

But for you to question me why I have a love for Owen is a complete and utter joke.

i am a liverpool fan and i admire  everything oewn   did for liverpool,  but he is the past now, torres is the now and future and he has a better upside than owen and  will surpass owens goal record no doubt, torres has it all right now, owen was one footed and relied to much on pace, torres has beter technique pace guile  and has no weakness and can play any style even on his own upfront which owen could never do a  whereas owen was a one dimensional l player  that relied on flicks ons and through balls which to the detriment of liverpool made us a ONE dimensional team because houllier stifled the whole team to accomadate owen's strength. since benitez has come here his teams can play a variety of styles and that would never have happened if owen had still been a liverpool player.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:50 pm

I didn't like the way Owen left us, hated it, but i can't believe people are already forgetting his goals for us the way he played and already putting Torres ahead of him. He won a FA cup final on his own FFS, and given a choice between him and Crouch, Voronin and Kuyt, even now it would be Owen each time, although i doubt it would happen because he would be expected to work for the team a lot more, and we all know he can spend large parts of the game not even getting a touch.

IMO Torres is playing with slightly better players than Owen did for most of time and i don't think Torres is really that clinical in front of goal, i'm not allowing his current run to cloud my judgement. It is his first season, he seems to have everything, but lets wait and see what happens next season after all the defences have seen him at least twice, fantastic start but no sainthood yet.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:58 pm

redtrader74 wrote:I didn't like the way Owen left us, hated it, but i can't believe people are already forgetting his goals for us the way he played and already putting Torres ahead of him. He won a FA cup final on his own FFS, and given a choice between him and Crouch, Voronin and Kuyt, even now it would be Owen each time, although i doubt it would happen because he would be expected to work for the team a lot more, and we all know he can spend large parts of the game not even getting a touch.

IMO Torres is playing with slightly better players than Owen did for most of time and i don't think Torres is really that clinical in front of goal, i'm not allowing his current run to cloud my judgement. It is his first season, he seems to have everything, but lets wait and see what happens next season after all the defences have seen him at least twice, fantastic start but no sainthood yet.

If torres isn't really clinical infront of goal, then I don't think he would have scored 25 goals for us this season.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:05 pm

I don't agree that Torres isn't clinical in front of goal.  The quality of his finishing isn't in question in my opinion.  He does miss the odd chance like every other top striker, but the real sign of his class is that he doesn't let a couple of misses wreck his confidence.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion