Racism justified in bulgaria - Steaua fined over cisse abuse

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby rinoayuna » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:46 am

Steaua Bucharest have been fined by UEFA after Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse suffered racist abuse in a Champions League qualifier at the Bulgarian club this month.
The France international was subjected to monkey chanting from Steaua fans during the third qualifying round first leg tie on August 10, UEFA's match observer reported, resulting in a 19,500 euro fine.
But Steaua's executive director denied Cisse had been the victim of racism, and said the club planned to appeal the guilty verdict.
"We're unhappy because the demonstrations reported during the match weren't racial in character," insisted Valeriu Argaseala.
Cisse said after the incident that racists would never "grind me down".
And he questioned what powers UEFA had to tackle the problem.
"You can say UEFA should take stronger action when it happens, but I'm not sure what they can do about it. You can't really stop these kind of people doing this.
"It's not CSKA Sofia's fault and it's not their players' fault, so I don't know what can be done. When it happens, I'm sorry for football because no-one wants it.
"I think the only solution is to educate people so that they understand they should not be doing this."
In a seperate inquiry UEFA found CSKA Sofia also guilty of racist abuse directed at a Shelbourne player during the Irish side's Champions League second qualifying round tie at the Romanian club.
Announcing the 16,500 fine handed out to CSKA a UEFA statement said: "After eight minutes, it was reported that plastic bottles were thrown from the Steaua fans at the Shelbourne bench.
"After 80 minutes, Shelbourne substitute Ndo Joseph's arrival on the pitch was greeted by "monkey sounds" from the home supporters, which recurred every time the player touched the ball."
Both guilty clubs have until Monday to mount an appeal against the decision's taken by European football's governing body. — AFP
so...do u all think this actions will help?
rinoayuna

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:57 am

it was CSKA Sofia not Steaua ???
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:25 pm

In that case I can understand why Steaua are going to appeal the guilty verdict :laugh: :D
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Red Red Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:31 pm

Starbridge42 wrote:In that case I can understand why Steaua are going to appeal the guilty verdict :laugh: :D

LOL Very sharp there mate!  I have to say I admire Cisse's attitude to all this.  I've never been racially abused but I imagine it must be hell.  To an outsider it would be easy to say 'Its not the players fault, and its not the clubs fault.' and of course that is true, but for the player affected, they must want somebody to take the blame and be punished, and its not like they can ever find the individuals responsible, so it would make sense for Cisse to blame the club, but he hasn't done that.

If I could possible have respected him more after the way he fought back from his injury and his undoubted committement to the LFC cause, then I do now.  Top bloke.
Red Red Tom

Postby mighty mo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:49 pm

what a joke uefa are,absolute imbeciles giving pettyfines out
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:00 am

Ban the b*stards.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion