Pre-Season 2022/23

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:39 pm

Not been a good 30 mins here.. 1-0 down with a goal from Sesko who has been a real threat for Salzburg. Apparently he's a target for United aswell.

Nunez has had a few good chances and hit the bar with a attempt. Unfortunately Carvalho is having a stinker.. he's trying too hard after making a few errors and he's making bad decisions.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:44 pm

Bit of a snoozefest but credit to Salzburg for sticking it out and taking a scalp! Could have been worse if yer man hadn't missed that sitter.

Good run out for us coming up to Sundays game. Hope Ali is fully fit as Adrian gives me the jitters.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:25 am

I see Nunez is kopping a bit of stick again this morning, apparently a video titled ‘Darwin Nunez making the easy look impossible’ or something along those lines has gone viral. At least he is getting himself into positions where he is missing chances. There’s an old adage in footy - the time to start worrying is when your striker stops getting chances, not when he’s missing them.
If he keeps getting on the end of crosses etc the goals will come eventually. Or at least you’d hope so
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:54 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:25 am wrote:I see Nunez is kopping a bit of stick again this morning, apparently a video titled ‘Darwin Nunez making the easy look impossible’ or something along those lines has gone viral. At least he is getting himself into positions where he is missing chances. There’s an old adage in footy - the time to start worrying is when your striker stops getting chances, not when he’s missing them.
If he keeps getting on the end of crosses etc the goals will come eventually. Or at least you’d hope so

Couldn’t watch the match so cannot comment on how he played but while reading about Nunez before we bought him one of his con’s was mental strength. It said that two years ago he was having a bad time and started to get trolled and he closed (or withdrew) from social media.I just hope he starts off quickly scoring so he doesn’t get to that point. Happily he plays for Liverpool so the fans will lift him hopefully.

Not so happy about losing two matches in preseason, especially yesterday so close to the season opener. We have to play ManUre at Old Trafford and they haven’t lost in preseason. We heard excuses like ManUre started a week before us, they were impressing a new manager, yesterday’s team started their season already but still, we should be putting these teams away. We have been so used to not losing matches, including in preseason.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:30 am

Pre-season results are pretty irrelevant to be honest. When we won the title, I remember we lost 3-0 to Napoli close to the start of the season. I read that we were still doing double sessions right up to and including the morning of the Salzburg game so the players would not have been fresh. I'd imagine we'll do some more normal training over the next 2 days ahead of the community shield, which in all honesty, is still closer to a friendly than a PL/CL game. But it will have more intensity and meaning because it's City. Strongest team out against City on Saturday as preparation for the PL opener a week later, and then the 2nd string get a run about against Strasbourg on Sunday.

I haven't watched any full games but it seems like the big winners from the academy boys have been Mabaya (RB) and Bajcetic (DM). Both 17 years old but big lads. They might end up training with the first team this year and  we might see them play in the domestic cups.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:14 pm

Didn’t see the game myself either but from what I’m hearing Nunez played in the weaker first half line up alongside a lot of the kids so Jurgen probably didn’t do him any favours yesterday.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:40 pm

This was the team yesterday. Everyone getting a run out. Started with mainly squad players and played the final 30 minutes with a strong side.

Adrian

Mabaya               Gomez               Konate               Milner
(Trent-60)         (Matip-60)        (van Djik-60)    (Robertson-45)

Jones               Bajcetic               Keita
      (Henderson-60)     (Fabinho-60)       (Morton-45)
                                                            (Thiago-60)         

Elliott               Nunez               Carvalho
             (Diaz-60)        (Firmino-45)         (Salah-60)
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:52 pm

Yeah Jurgen probably didn’t do the lad any favours line up wise but at the same time Klopp probably wasn’t expecting the OTT reaction to a performance in a meaningless friendly.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:45 pm

Yeah but Elliott, Nunez and Carvalho are the future!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:53 am

Quote from Klopp below. Looks like we're going to play an extra friendly (behind closed doors) for the players who don't feature against Fulham. Rumored to be against Aston Villa.

“It is a very important game (against Man City) but the situation is we still have to prepare for a season and we cannot ignore that,” he said on Thursday. “So we have to extend our pre-season into the season. We play on Saturday against City and we play on Sunday a pre-season friendly against Strasbourg.

“Then we play Fulham and the next day we play another game, just so that we can extend our pre-season. That’s what we have to do because from mid-August on I think we play every three days again, so there’s no time for training.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... y-27604771
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:28 am

With the World Cup in the winter this year, I was checking what the schedule looks like:

12 NOV:   Final club game before players depart for the World Cup
21 NOV-2 DEC:   Group stages
3 DEC-6 DEC:   Round of 16
9 DEC-10 DEC:   Quarter Finals
13 DEC-14 DEC:   Semi Finals
17 DEC-18 DEC:   3rd place play-off/Final
26 DEC:   Season resumes

This means the players who don't go to the World Cup will get a nice mid season break. Those clubs who have more key players staying at home will obviously have an advantage. In Robertson, Salah, and Diaz, we have 3 big hitters who will definitely get a break as their countries didn't qualify. Matip and Milner have retired, and Firmino is currently out of favor. Looking at the City squad, all of their defenders and midfielders are likely to go, plus Ederson and Alvarez. So it's probably only Haaland and Mahrez who will get a break. With how closely matched we are, that could be all the advantage we need in the title race.

Didn’t qualify: Kelleher, Ramsay, Robertson, Tsimikas, Keita, Salah, Diaz
Retired/probably not selected: Adrian, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Milner, Jones, Ox, Elliott, Carvalho, Firmino
Likely to go: Alisson, Trent, van Djik, Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Jota, Nunez
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:41 pm

The World Cup will definitely be a factor this season, not only in terms of fatigue etc but also how players deal with disappointment etc.
You only have to look at Mo’s form before and after the AFCON last season to see how major tournaments  can affect players.
I think at this stage it’s pretty difficult to guess which teams will benefit and which won’t but one thing’s for certain the World Cup will definitely have a say in how everything pans out.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:02 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 am wrote:The World Cup will definitely be a factor this season, not only in terms of fatigue etc but also how players deal with disappointment etc.
You only have to look at Mo’s form before and after the AFCON last season to see how major tournaments  can affect players.
I think at this stage it’s pretty difficult to guess which teams will benefit and which won’t but one thing’s for certain the World Cup will definitely have a say in how everything pans out.

And frankly it shouldn’t as they should be playing in the summer had FIFA not taken bribes to give it to Qatar, a country so hot that they can only play in the winter and certainly not a country that has earned the right to host a World Cup through their football. It was proven yet they still went ahead with it, despite the upheaval it causes every league….. a real head scratcher!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:14 pm

kazza » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:02 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 am wrote:The World Cup will definitely be a factor this season, not only in terms of fatigue etc but also how players deal with disappointment etc.

And frankly it shouldn’t as they should be playing in the summer had FIFA not taken bribes to give it to Qatar, a country so hot that they can only play in the winter and certainly not a country that has earned the right to host a World Cup through their football. It was proven yet they still went ahead with it, despite the upheaval it causes every league….. a real head scratcher!

I think it’s only right that the World Cup goes to different corners of the globe and is hosted by countries other than the usual suspects but as you say giving it to Qatar is a real head scratcher on so many levels, not least the treatment of the construction workers who built the stadiums.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:01 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:14 am wrote:
kazza » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:02 pm wrote:

I think it’s only right that the World Cup goes to different corners of the globe and is hosted by countries other than the usual suspects but as you say giving it to Qatar is a real head scratcher on so many levels, not least the treatment of the construction workers who built the stadiums.

I have no problem with the World Cup going to all corners of the globe, just not countries that cheat and bribe to do it. It was proven, people lost their jobs in FIFA because of it yet they still go ahead, despite the upheaval to all the leagues. They shouldn’t have been allowed to go ahead with it.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion