Pivotal players - Who is a dead cert for your first xi

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Coley » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:55 pm

He's got to be better than Vignal though surely.  I don't rate him at all and i think Riise is another case of the manager not getting the best out of a good player.
Coley

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:58 pm

Kevin Nolan of Bolton?

Really? better things than playing for Liverpool? He's hardly world class mate. He's not even a regular for Bolton this season.

The first Academy student to make the step into the first team squad, Nolan made his debut at just 17 in the 1999/2000 season.

He established himself in the first team in Bolton's 2000/2001 campaign in the Nationwide League First Division and made an impression with some precocious displays. He got in the goalscorers list on his England U18s debut in November 2000 against Belgium. Throughout the season, he played 25 times for Wanderers and scored his first league goal against Crewe Alexandra in December 2000 as well as a double strike in the FA Cup against Scunthorpe United.

Nolan was still regarded as a prospect who might only be used sparingly in the first season in the FA Barclaycard Premiership but Sam Allardyce was very impressed by Nolan since he made the step up from the Bolton Academy.

Instead of being just a prospect, Nolan was a major part of Bolton's successful bid to avoid relegation in 2001/02. He made 39 appearances, scoring 8 goals, including two in Wanderers' opening day drubbing of Leicester, and a late equaliser at Anfield, which meant so much to former Liverpool fan Nolan, who had been rejected by the Reds earlier in his career.

Another notable goal came in Bolton's shock 2-1 win at Old Trafford. Nolan's performances in the high-profile games have built up the reputation of one of the Premiership's brightest young stars.

His reputation grew further in the 2002/03 season when he once again performed on the big stage scoring the winner at Theatre of Dreams for the second time running. Although that was his only goal of the season Nolan played an integral part in Bolton's survival making over 30 Barclaycard Premiership appearances.

15 He left Liverpool for Bolton... Gerard Houlliers fault because he never gave him a chance. Even though he wasn't in charge when Nolan was at the club as a youth.

His and family are friends with the Ryders in Toxteth. Wonder how many of you know who they are, theres even a little clue for you. :)
115-1073096938

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:58 pm

I thought Vignal did ok in his spell at left back. I'd take Carragher before Riise at left-back, I think he is just not good enough defensively. I would have stuck Riise at left-midfield but for the presence of Kewell. I suppose I could shift Kewell to play alongside Owen and play Riise left midfield but I would like to see Baros in the team
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:01 pm

Riise? Great player? Pfffft

He's been sh##e for two years. Very average player. Far to many hoofs, brain dead and a sh##house.

I'd take Carragher, Vignal and Traore ahead of him.
115-1073096938

Postby RedSi » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:05 pm

Have you guys seen something in Vignal that I've missed, I know he's had a lot of injury problems but I just don't get it..... :)
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:07 pm

Also like i said, youth players are always given a chance at this club if they are good enough, Partridge is now 22 going on 23. Owen made it at 17, Fowler and Gerrard 18, Carragher 18, Welsh 19, Mellor 20, Pongolle and Le Tallec 19, Matteo 19, Wright 19, Vignal 19.

The list goes on. Players usually make it by the time they are 20, if not its more than likely they'll never make the grade.

Also a comment to greenred... read my post on how many times i said i watched him. It was more than one 8-0 win thank you very much.

He hasn't improved from the time he was 17 till now otherwise he'd have had his chance. Nuff said.
115-1073096938

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:12 pm

The problem is Houllier has been signing so many French (league) players that he has to stick with his signings to justify them. Diouf hasn't really done it consistently at Anfield yet he is virtually automatic. Otsemobor got a fleeting glimpse of first team action but the likes of Biscan, Traore, Smicer, Diao, Cheyrou and a lot of other Houllier signings are so far ahead in the pecking order there is no chance for the youngsters. I don't know how many players we've signed per year on average under Houllier, but we made four last summer alone. How are youngsters supposed to break into a team with a conveyor belt transfer approach that Houllier employs?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:14 pm

Unlike Riise Vignal can Defend and knows how to cover his centre backs.

Positionally he is superb, he has tanacity in his game, average marking, can win headers, good technically and a decent crosser. He overlaps well and his Defensive decision making is very good. Nearly as good as Carragher. He is however seriously lacking in fitness. Stamina and agility are a problem for him. He is fairly average paced also which isn't a major problem but doesn't do him any favours, he is quite strong but this is something else he should improve upon.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:12 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Kevin Nolan of Bolton?

Really? better things than playing for Liverpool? He's hardly world class mate. He's not even a regular for Bolton this season.

The first Academy student to make the step into the first team squad, Nolan made his debut at just 17 in the 1999/2000 season.

He established himself in the first team in Bolton's 2000/2001 campaign in the Nationwide League First Division and made an impression with some precocious displays. He got in the goalscorers list on his England U18s debut in November 2000 against Belgium. Throughout the season, he played 25 times for Wanderers and scored his first league goal against Crewe Alexandra in December 2000 as well as a double strike in the FA Cup against Scunthorpe United.

Nolan was still regarded as a prospect who might only be used sparingly in the first season in the FA Barclaycard Premiership but Sam Allardyce was very impressed by Nolan since he made the step up from the Bolton Academy.

Instead of being just a prospect, Nolan was a major part of Bolton's successful bid to avoid relegation in 2001/02. He made 39 appearances, scoring 8 goals, including two in Wanderers' opening day drubbing of Leicester, and a late equaliser at Anfield, which meant so much to former Liverpool fan Nolan, who had been rejected by the Reds earlier in his career.

Another notable goal came in Bolton's shock 2-1 win at Old Trafford. Nolan's performances in the high-profile games have built up the reputation of one of the Premiership's brightest young stars.

His reputation grew further in the 2002/03 season when he once again performed on the big stage scoring the winner at Theatre of Dreams for the second time running. Although that was his only goal of the season Nolan played an integral part in Bolton's survival making over 30 Barclaycard Premiership appearances.

15 He left Liverpool for Bolton... Gerard Houlliers fault because he never gave him a chance. Even though he wasn't in charge when Nolan was at the club as a youth.

His and family are friends with the Ryders in Toxteth. Wonder how many of you know who they are, theres even a little clue for you. :)

Only ribbin ya Stu!!

I know that Nolan left Liverpool at an early age. The press try to make a big thing about it when Liverpool play Bolton.

Nolan had a poor start to the season and didn't play much but he's back in Sam Allyrdyce's plans again, and has scored a lot lately.

The only other players I can think of is Tony Warner at Millwall (on the way to either Pompey or Southampton) or maybe you migth argue Brad Friedel, but Friedel was something like 27 when he played for the Pool and had a bucket ful of caps for the US.

You're rigth Stu about the lack of ex-young players at Pool doing well.

I heard last week that poor old Layton Maxwell can't even find a club.  :(
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:16 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Also a comment to greenred... read my post on how many times i said i watched him. It was more than one 8-0 win thank you very much.

He hasn't improved from the time he was 17 till now otherwise he'd have had his chance. Nuff said.

So ill ask you again,why hasnt houllier let him go?Unlike yourself he obviously felt partridge was ready for a run in the first team.
If he is good enough to play one first team match then he is good enough to play two. Just how bad was he in a game we won 8-0? Only an idiot would write a player off after one match. Nuff said.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:28 pm

Yes and like i've said to you i've seen him play for Coventry LIVE 3 times one of which he scored against Derby. I've seen him plenty of times for the reserves. He is at best a first division player, maybe just maybe could become a lower premiership player. But outstanding, class or quality he certainly isn't.

You don't have to put players into the first team to know they are good enough. You can see it at whatever level. He scored 5 goals at Coventry, maybe 6 in about 28-30 games. Its an IMMENSE step up from playing division 1 and reserve football and being good at that level to being able to perfom in the premiership against the good sides and in the champions league.

I've just repeated myself for you. He isn't and i doubt will ever be good enough.
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:36 pm

My first 11 is:
                      Kirkland

Finnan    Hyypia     Henchoz    Riise

Murphy   Hamann   Gerrard     Kewell

Owen     Baros

My pivotal players would be Kirkland, Hyypia, maybe Finnan is he gets into the first team and shows that he can hack it, Riise, Kewell, Hamann, Gerrard and Owen.

On the other players: it is not that I don't like Henchoz, it is just that I think we need at least 1 pacey centre back. I think Murphy is a good squad player who would rack up 40- 50 appearences for me due to injuies, suspensions and rotation but if we are to move foward a better more consistent player is needed for the first team. I am a fan of Baros but he is still to really establish himself, because Houllier hasen't given him a consistent run in the team, but I don't think in the long term he would be the best partner for Owen.

On the issue of Vignal: I am a big fan and if people are hell bent on getting Riise out of the team I woulen't mind if he came in, like Baros, Vignal needs to establish himself by playing a full season.

I had high hopes for Partridge, and he played well for Coventry last season. But he has been unlucky with injuries, and he hasen't developed phyiscaly, I think it may be too late for him.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:43 pm

Riise ahead of Carragher... are you on drugs?

Riise is a hoof merchant, a sh##house and braindead. His free kicks are overated and his attacking play has never been good since his first season.

He's a sqaud player at best. He'd be the last of the four i'd play there.

Also you have the flank players on the wrong side, when starting with the keeper you have your right back to the left. :p

Code: Select all
                     Kirkland

Finnan    Henchoz     Hyypia   Carragher

Murphy    Gerrard     Hamann    Kewell

Baros       Owen    

Like so :p :D
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:45 pm

Does it really matter you pansy, you clever a#se chimp.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:05 pm

Fancy a spliff? :p
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion