PHILIPP DEGEN - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Tue May 20, 2008 9:23 am

Im always skeptical of trying to be hopeful of players we sign on a free. I hope he doesnt turn out to be another Vorinin.

Im sure he'll be a better striker than voronin:p

I hope there's a couple of big money names to come VERY soon
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby red187 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:24 am

I think it shows a change in Rafas tactical thinking. Both Dega and Dossena are very attack minded full back, in fact its what they are known for in their respective leagues. So surely Rafa wouldn't purchase them just to have them play a part in a rigid back four. Maybe it signals a return to free flowing football
red187

Postby tubby » Tue May 20, 2008 9:28 am

Aurelio is attacking aswell but it means nothing becasue he is only average.

As Dundalk says get the :censored: cash out. We should be going to 15-20 rated players not free ones. I reckon we are only mabye going to sign one player above 10 mil if that this summer and the rest will be made up of free and cheap players that no one has heard of.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue May 20, 2008 9:32 am

john craig wrote:Have never seen this guy play so bit harsh for me to judge him.  What I can say is that it's a transfer that doesn't excite me in the slightest.  Have we gone and got ourselves the best possible offensive right back this summer?  Or have we bargain basement shopped again?  You decide.

:down:

agree with you there

not seen him play so hard to comment, although the Dortmund fans didnt like him

it feels that yet again its bargain basement and not 'best possible buy'.

you know this will also be Rafa's 4th right back signing of his 4 year teniure, after Josemi, Kromkamp, Arbeloa.... and then theirs Finnan as well...(no wonder Finnan has been playing like he's demorilised, as rafa buys a right back every single year!).. Why dont we just splash the cash on one great right back and be done with it.

I dont like to criticise a player before he even plays for us so I haven't, I just feel that we could have signed better

Welcome Degan. Prove me and the doubters wrong.....
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Richj » Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 am

Anyone found a video of him playing ?
Richj

Postby tubby » Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l33xT3YIkTo

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 am

bavlondon wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l33xT3YIkTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l33xT3YIkTo

:;):
Last edited by Dundalk on Tue May 20, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue May 20, 2008 9:45 am

I have a feeling he is a new level of :censored:. There are no actual videos of him playing. All the videos are just pictures of him in a slideshow. WTF? ???

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:45 am

s@int wrote:On the Official site now !

Liverpool Football Club today confirmed that Swiss international defender Philipp Degen will sign a contract with the club on July 1. 
The right sided full-back - who will represent his country at this summer's European Championships - is out of contract with Borussia Dortmund this summer and has opted to begin a new career on Merseyside from next season.

Degen, 25, spent four seasons in his homeland with FC Basel before his move to the Bundeslga and will provide competition for Steve Finnan and Alvaro Arbeloa in the right-back role at Anfield.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez said: "Philipp is still young but has gained great experience from playing in the Bundesliga with Borussia Dortmund and on the international stage with Switzerland. He also played in the Champions League during his time with Basel and so is used to top level football.

"He is an offensive player with great energy and a winning mentality. His strength is going forward and I am confident he will be prove to be a quality addition to our squad."

Looking ahead to the move, Degen said: "When I received the offer from Liverpool, there was no doubt I would accept it. They are one of the biggest clubs in the world and I am looking forward to the challenge of establishing myself there and playing in the best league there is."

well the good thing is that he was free, the bad side is that he has been seen as a reject for sometime.

Not sure he is going to cut it at Liverpool but if we use him a few times we can sell him for some money.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue May 20, 2008 9:45 am

I agree, I havent heard anything of this right back, a swiss international (hardly an amazing feature) but we'l get to see him at the euro's this summer!

In Rafa's defence, we have never heard of Agger (well barely) or Skrtel, and both of them have turned out to be top class centre halves and are both very young so Im prepared to give this degen guy until Christmas to see if hes up to scratch! It is worrying tho that we have arbeloa and finnan there, its good competition for arbeloa and will keep him on his toes, im afraid finnans days look numbered though!

Hopefully this Italian Dossena makes the euros squad and we get to have a look at him as well! €8m is a decent price for a left back so Im expecting big things outta him moreso than Degen!!

Regarding the clubs transfer policy, were kidding ourselves if we think we have the money that chelsea and manure have! But we have to bear in mind that Mascherano's cost was comin out of this summers budget as far as Im aware! Im just disappointed cos we seemed to have more money last summer, even tho we offloaded a few, and this summer the likes of Eto'o and Villa (two players Id love to see us chase) seem much more available and at a lower cost than last season! Its obvious we need another top quality attackin player, why cant we go after either one of them??? We need fast mobile attacking players in the mould of Hleb, Rosicky, Ronaldo, Nani! The only similar player we have is Babel who is still learning!!!

Its gonna be a long summer  ???
ICE-MAN

Postby Rafa D » Tue May 20, 2008 10:01 am

bavlondon wrote:I have a feeling he is a new level of :censored:. There are no actual videos of him playing. All the videos are just pictures of him in a slideshow. WTF? ???

youtube is not, I repeat is not used when deciding which players to buy. Any fu.cker can look out of this world on there. :D

I do remember how very good defensively Switzerland where in the last World Cup where they did not concede a single goal. Degen played in all their games and kept a clean sheet against France - eventual finalist (in the worlds worst world cup). I haven't seen him play, but the German league is not as weak as some would have you believe and although I agree the signing does not whet the juices, he's a right back and we need someone to push Finnan/Arbeloa.

It may not be Alves or Lahm or Boswinga (who are all going to cost in excess of £16m) but I'd rather we spend our limited funds on a player we really need to push on ie - winger/attacker £20m++
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 am

Dont really want to make a judgement on the signing cause i hant seen the lad play alot but what a great name

PHILLY DEGAN

crackin scouse name that :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue May 20, 2008 11:26 am

We have just signed this guy aswell now.....

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue May 20, 2008 11:33 am

:laugh:

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue May 20, 2008 12:27 pm

Deggen?

:sleep  :sleep  :sleep  :sleep