Owen, Drogba or Anelka??

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby paisleyred » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

If you bring players in first then potential buying clubs will know you are desperate to sell and offer deflated prices.
paisleyred

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 am

paisleyred » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 am wrote:If you bring players in first then potential buying clubs will know you are desperate to sell and offer deflated prices.

Will they? Well in terms of Kuyt, Aquilani, Bellamy and Maxi we were never going to get much for them. However all four players could have useful for us this season, but we made a mistake letting them all leave without replacing them first, but the main one was Andy Carroll. You wait to bring in a striker before you let one go. Rodgers took a gamble and it cost us, now we have to go running back to Michael Owen to sign him up, even though the little fella has a history of dumping on us from a great height. We're in dire straights at the moment, make no mistake about it.
Boxscarf

Postby maguskwt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:05 pm

the problem is beggars can't be choosers... we HAVE to get one of the 3. And I think it's between Anelka and Owen. Owen is a more possibility because there are no reports linking Anelka with us now...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Anelka.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Anelka or Owen
Drogba wouldn't come
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Wouldn't want any of these three mercenaries.

I'd sooner give a youngster like Morgan or Ngoo a go as backup or even play 4-6-0 like Spain did in the Euros if we had to.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Hustler » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm

I would never have Owen back after what he did, never gave Rafa a chance and then joined the Manc's.

There is no guarantee that he can still bang them in, and is more proned to injuries at this stage of career.

Out of them three...Anelka.

I'd be more tempted to try a young striker from the reserves/ academy, before we become desperate.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't think any of our young strikers are anywhere near ready for premiership games.  Morgan is probably the best we have and he looked miles off it against Hearts on Thursday... You don't win anything with kids!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby redalltheway36 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm

alll owen wants is 50 grand a week living off his past reputation to spend a couple of hours each morning training. whilst he has someonelse look after his stables for a few hours. Thats why he wont go to a championship club cos he knows he wont get the big money. Its got feckall to do with love for football the dirty little traitor.
redalltheway36
LFC Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

as I said beggars can't be choosers...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks13 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:49 pm

People keep vaguely stating Drogba/ Anelka are available. Can we put this to bed? I do not think either are - Shanghai have not yet gone under, they are just in the middle of some boardroom upheaval where the money man is threatening to pull the plug should he not get total control.

I suggest it is mainly posturing and they will not become available - even if they now did, they were released outside of the window.

Staying in the far east, and Lucas Barrios was actually available in the summer having had an unhappy time in China, and would have been an option for not a whole lot of Yuan. That boat has sailed though.
shanks13
LFC Basic Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

to be honest, the way things are, i would be happy to see owen come back for a season. we need to forget our pride for a moment and consider the situation we are in. i believe the first team we have now is actually very, very good - it just lacks a finisher, someone who can capitalise on the chances we so often make in the opponents' box. suarez is the guy that creates the chaos and the chances, not the guy that finishes them. stick suarez to one side and owen on the middle and he'd put away a lot of the goals that suarez and borini miss. if anything, the fecker owes us.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:24 pm

if we bring owen in we`d be a laughing stock, it would be just another farce to add to all the others (hiring a DoF on the say so of a baseball stats guru, sacking him within a year, talking about bringing in a new player recruitment philosophy based on getting value out of the market and then overseeing the biggest waste of money seen in english football in years, releasing that belligerent statement about the suarez affair only to climb down later, kenny having to issue that grovelling apology for just backing his player, sacking kenny after getting to 2 cup finals and then basically saying the cups (including the oldest trophy in the world) mean f**k all, 2+ years in and we still have no management structure, sacking half the people behind the scene`s, talking about having 1, the 2 DoF`s and then having none, upsetting pep segura with false promises so he leaves, this transfer window fiasco etc)
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:24 pm

However unpalatable they may be, I think Drogba and Anelka would be massive improvements on what we've got. The stumbling block is going to be wages and length of contract given what they were on at Shengua, and what clubs like Anzhi can offer. With Owen it's a different question because although I think he could do a reasonable job if fit (big if, mind), I think the circumstances of his departure and subsequent decisions -- leaving for such a paltry fee at a time when Rafa needed all the help he could get, his decision to join Newcastle and his subsequent decision to join the Manc's -- transgressed so many boundaries that I couldn't stand to see him come back, however great our need for re-inforcements. Forgiveness, hmmm.... nah :D
LFC2007

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:51 pm

LFC2007 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:24 pm wrote:However unpalatable they may be, I think Drogba and Anelka would be massive improvements on what we've got. The stumbling block is going to be wages and length of contract given what they were on at Shengua, and what clubs like Anzhi can offer. With Owen it's a different question because although I think he could do a reasonable job if fit (big if, mind), I think the circumstances of his departure and subsequent decisions -- leaving for such a paltry fee at a time when Rafa needed all the help he could get, his decision to join Newcastle and his subsequent decision to join the Manc's -- transgressed so many boundaries that I couldn't stand to see him come back, however great our need for re-inforcements. Forgiveness, hmmm.... nah :D

owen left when LFC looked like a busted flush -
the style of footy under houllier was abysmal,
we hadnt turned around a one goal deficit in 2 years,
we had a squad full of over priced flops with little or no sell on value (biscan, diouf, diao, le tallec etc),
the owners (who had owned the club for generations) said years of trying to compete in the transfer market with clubs in the CL had left them broke so they had to sell
the press had our best players lined up to play for other clubs (the people had a mock up of gerrard in a chelsea shirt)
even when the club was on it`s knee`s like that he still shafted it out of a decent pay day for him, he didnt give one f**k about LFC, he thought we were finished and to be fair to him we should have been finished but a miracle called rafael benitez walked through the door (within 12 months we had won the biggest prize in club football).
get heskey back or even fowler.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion